Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PAL dvd's won't work in PAL compatible dvd players?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-15-05, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Does anyone know why my PAL(Region 2) "Lord of the Rings - Special Edition" dvd's will not work on an NTSC/PAL compatible dvd player? I am living in South Korea, and I recently purchased a dvd player which will play ALL of my other PAL dvd's, but it won't play ANY of my Lord of the Rings dvd's? (Fellowship, Two Towers or Return of The King). The dvd's are in good condition so it can't be anything to do with damaged dvd's. Any help would be appreciated!

Guster
Old 04-15-05, 07:26 AM

Most likely the region of the DVDs don't match the region setting for your DVD player -- a region 3 player won't play region 2 DVDs (etc.) unless the player has been modified to play all regions.
Old 04-15-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, that could be the problem. What region are your other PAL discs that do work? Do you have R2 NTSC discs that play ok? What exactly happens when you try to play the LOTR disc?
Old 04-15-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

question first: is it region free? It's possible the R2 is the hangup not the PAL.
Old 04-16-05, 01:39 AM

All of my dvd's are PAL Region2 (including my Lord of The Rings dvd's). So the dvd player will play all of my Region 2 dvd's except my Lord of The Rings dvd's. This is a mystery to me because it is a multi region dvd player? The dvd's are in good condition too. When I try to play the dvd's they just dont load.

Last edited by Ferguster; 04-16-05 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's just a bad disc. Usually if it won't work because a region incompatibility it will give you an error message like "Wrong Region" or something.
Old 04-16-05, 11:16 AM

I was gonna start a new thread,but this one might answer my question....my brother-in-law got a free DVD player with the computer he bought. It's a no-name player but on the box it says NTSC and PAL compatible. Am I assuming correctly that this player is multi-region? It doesnt state any region compatibility though, but if it is what regions could it possibly play? Any responses would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NotoriousDRE
I was gonna start a new thread,but this one might answer my question....my brother-in-law got a free DVD player with the computer he bought. It's a no-name player but on the box it says NTSC and PAL compatible. Am I assuming correctly that this player is multi-region? It doesnt state any region compatibility though, but if it is what regions could it possibly play? Any responses would be appreciated.
No, sorry, but television formats (NTSC, PAL, etc) and region coding are two completely different things. Most players bought in the US wouldn't be multi-region out of the box, but depending on what kind you have, there might be a hack for it.
Old 04-18-05, 04:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

you must have a player that not only PLAYS both PAL and NTSC discs-but also CONVERTS them; ie: a PAL to NTSC Converter-some machines DONT have this feature, even thought they will play a PAL disc if you have a PAL TV set or an NTSC disc if you have an NTSC set etc...
afer we all go digital, it will be irrelevant, becuz with digital, you are using native resolution-and have no need for either format

Last edited by Seashellz; 04-18-05 at 04:55 AM.