Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buying Malena & Tae Guk Gi: different versions, region codes, prices???

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-17-05, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering picking up Malena and Tae Guk Gi, but am having trouble figuring out which versions to buy. I understand that the two disc version of Malena is the one to buy, however, some vendors list it as region 3 and others list it as region free. For example, DVDasian lists it as region free at $21.95, while koreandvd lists what appears to be the same dvd for around $11 but lists it as a region 3. I want to buy the region free version, but from the research I've done here, I got the impression that there was no region 3 only version and that it was in fact region free. Is this correct?

Similarly, there appears to be 4 or 5 different versions of Tae Guk Gi, including a U.S. 2 disc release. Again I want to pick up a region 1 or region free version, is the best one to stick with then the U.S. release?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-05, 02:11 PM

If you care about picture quality, check out dvdbeaver, very helpful site. But if I remember correctly Tae Guk Gi hasn't been compared there, might want to try dvdcompare.net as they list all versions on one page but you won't see any graphical comparisons.

Can't tell you much other than to compare and judge for yourself which is best for you, based upon your preferences. OAR, anamorphic, dd 5.1, dts, subtitles, extras or no extras, subs on extras, NTSC or PAL ? Lots to consider. There usually is no "best" version, its up to you. Have you seen Tae Guk Gi btw ?? My recommendation would be to rent it first but if you've already seen it and like/love it, enjoy ! As for Malena, good movie. The R1 version is edited and lost about 15 min or so. It may have the best picture but to not have the complete running time, TO ME, negates that.
Old 03-17-05, 03:39 PM

Thanks very much. Both sites were very helpful. I feel much more comfortable that the two disc version at koreandvds.com is the region free even though they list it as region 3. I went ahead and ordered that one.

Also after looking at Tae Guk Gi, it appears that there is no region free release, so I will likely stick with the Region 1 version.

Dvdcompare.net is a great resource.