Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Washington DC area: WKW and Edward Yang screenings

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-07-05, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope nobody objects:

The AFI Silver in Silver Spring, MD has a Wong Kar-Wai series that just started this week. Good opportunity to see Ashes of Time on the big screen.
http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowpla...waiseries.aspx

The AFI is also screening Royston's Tan's 15 on April 13. Banned in it's native Singapore from what I recall reading.

Also, in May, the Freer Gallery is holding a retrospective of Edward Yang's films:

Taipei Story
A Brighter Summer Day
The Terrorizers
A Confucian Confusion
Mahjong
Yi Yi

(As usual, all tickets to the Freer screenings are free, on a first come first served basis.) Scroll down:
http://www.asia.si.edu/events/films.asp

Last edited by dleedlee; 03-07-05 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 11:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder if this is a tie in to the upcoming "2046". But it wasn't shown on the current AFI schedule (next month maybe?).

I already got the ticket for the 3/15 showing of "Ashes of Time". I am excited since this is the only WKW film that I haven't seen.

I also went to see "Happy Together", "Buonos Aires Zero Degree", and "In the Mood for Love" yesterday. The print of "Happy Together" is in pretty bad shape with lots of scratches. The subtitle is not very good either. It seems to me it is a print that was imported directly from HK without restoration and new translation. I hope this is not the same for "Ashes of Time" or I will be very disappointed.
Old 03-07-05, 12:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I really liked "Happy Together" so I can't wait to see "Buenos Aires Zero Degree" tomorrow afternoon

plan on seeing
"Chungking Express"
"As Tears Go By"
"Ashes of Time"
"Fallen Angels"

most definately checking out "15"

tried watching "Yi-Yi" on home video but really struggled, going to try and sit through it in it's entirety at the Freer's screening
Old 03-07-05, 12:21 PM

I was at yesterday's Happy Together screening, too. Yeah, the print was beat up but not too bad. I didn't stay for Buenos Aires Zero Degree, seen it on video before, but I did rewatch the DVD later that night with a friend. (To be honest, I don't care much for it.)

I'm trying to figure a schedule for the rest of the series. No '2046' screening that I know of.

If you've never seen Yang's A Brighter Summer Day, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by dleedlee; 03-07-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 06:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
dleedlee, which row did you sit? I was at the last row.

I won't care much for "Buenos Aires Zero Degree" either if not for the deleted scenes included in it. It is interesting to see how different "Happy Together" is from its initial concepts. The movie can also be very different if Leslie Cheung could stays in the picture. With his method of making movies, I think WKW should always made two films simultanously, with the same outline, same cast and crew but different idea or "mood".

Besides next Tuesday's "Ashes of Time", I will watched "Days of Being Wild", "Chungking Express" and "Fallen Angels" either next Friday or Saturday. Unfortunalely, I have to miss "As Tears Go By" due to work conflict.

Seems like dleelee is a big fan of Chang Zhen

Last edited by ftsoh; 03-07-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-08-05, 07:05 AM

re: Chang Chen, just a coincidence. Actually, I don't think I realized they were the same actors until you mentioned it. D'oh.

re: Happy Together, yep, there was a whole lot of story (parts of one) left on the floor. I'd have been pissed if I was Shirley Kwan and had my whole part cut out. Think what it would have done for her career. The deleted scenes of her character seemed to possibly echo Faye Wong's in Chungking Express.

Btw, I was sitting in the middle towards the left.