Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HKFlix horror stories

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

HKFlix horror stories

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-05, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKFlix horror stories

i hear that people have horror stories of hkflix, but what exactly are they? slow shipping? used items? can anybody share?
Old 02-26-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered a item and they said it was on back order. In the email they sent they said it would take two weeks for them to ship it out. After six I emailed them asking where it was. Shortly thereafter it was shipped out. I guess they forgot about me. Not too horible, but not the best customer service.
Old 02-26-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
I don't really have a horror story but as for my experiences:

-the first order I placed with them was flawless. I placed a order and they informed me when they got the order, when the payment was approved and when they sent out the order (and it was shipped quite quickly). Perfect service.

-after the second order I placed, I heard nothing (other than than the automated instant reply). After a couple weeks of waiting, I just wanted to hear from someone that they actually received the order and were working on it (none of the items I ordered were in "back order" status or anything BTW), so I emailed an inquiry about my order. A couple days later I received an email that basically said "Uh, oh yeah, we just sent it out" (maybe they forgot me too).

Anyway, it was far from horrible, but it just left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth after my high expectations based on my first experience. At that point, I found out that it was cheaper buying HK discs from HK anyway, so I do that now.
Old 02-27-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've had no problems with HKFlix, but I've only ordered DVD players from them. I ordered three DVD players from them and each time the player promptly arrived in just a few days.
Old 02-27-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
I've had no problems with HKFlix, but I've only ordered DVD players from them. I ordered three DVD players from them and each time the player promptly arrived in just a few days.
... same here. Just ordered a Malata 558 about three weeks ago from them. It arrived within five business days via Fedex. I also ordered the SE version of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and they followed up the next day to let me know the player was on it's way and how it was being shipped, but the DVD was no longer available .. and apologized for the confusion (since the website was not properly reflecting their current DVD inventory).

Aside from than that, I've placed two additional orders with them and have had no problems. I always go cheap with shipping, so as expected, the DVD orders typically took 5 - 7 business days to arrive.

No problems here.

... and as a disclaimer, if you do have a bad experience .. don't blame me
Old 02-27-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Their prices are too high for one thing. Outside of that, I don't see a reason to not order from them... but that's a pretty compelling reason.
Old 02-27-05, 09:45 PM

I've ordered from them twice. As Trigger indicated, the prices are generally quite a bit higher than ordering from DDDHouse or what have you. However, every once in a while they seem to be the only source for something, or they are running a cheap sale on some stuff.

Anyway, both orders arrived in good time. However, in each case one of the DVDs was the wrong one. Both times, the e-mail customer support was really good. Always a personal reply from someone who obviously understood the mistake and was set to make it right on their end.

So far so good, except that the replcement DVD took forever to arrive in both cases. I'm talking over a month. Eventually all worked out, but for a while I thought I'd never see the right disc.

But I want to re-iterate that the customer service rep handling the e-mail was terrific in both cases. Someone in quality control and shipping needs a prod, however.
Old 02-28-05, 03:51 PM

I have not ordered from them, but in general the prices are way too high. Even without an exchange rate, the prices are 40% cheaper in Canada at a local shop, and I'm not only speaking on HK discs. I'm speaking on the legit releases and boxed sets. The House of Flying Daggers Boxed Set from Edko for Example was $45 Canadian up here. I think they sold it for $70 US. Taegukgi was only $25 Canadian for the deluxe metal box set, where it's $36 US on HKFlix + Shipping and taxes. It's actually making me consider opening my own shop. I can buy from the mall down the street and still smash their prices even with the markup from the stores!!!.
Old 02-28-05, 06:47 PM

splattii, what store?