Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Momitsu V880-DX-- anyone have it?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have this player? How well does it work for HD sets? Anyone have any problems or thoughts about it? I'm probably going to pick it up this week from HKflix.
Old 02-09-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Anyone have this player? How well does it work for HD sets? Anyone have any problems or thoughts about it? I'm probably going to pick it up this week from HKflix.
I have it hooked up via HDMI to my Sammy 61in DLP set. It is great!
I have had 3 other upscaling dvd players (Denon, Panasonic and Samsung) and the momitsu is the best ive tried.

Pros - great picture, upscales over dvi/component, multi-region, PAL to NTSC converter built in, macrovision free, custom resolutions, plays VCD/SVCD/MPEG4/DIVX/DVD-R/DVD+R, picture controls

Bad - Looks cheap, remote stinks, menus look crappy, purchase online only, remote interferes with pioneer receivers

I also purchased from HKFlix and had no problems. But, if you have problems, ive heard that they can be hard to deal with. Kind of a gamble.

But, with my current setup, it looks awesome! I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Old 02-09-05, 10:24 AM
Banned

It does upscale through component? I heard it was only through DVI/HDMI.

Have there been any problems reported? Why would one need to return it to HKflix?
Old 02-09-05, 10:39 AM

It does upscale through component? I heard it was only through DVI/HDMI.

Have there been any problems reported? Why would one need to return it to HKflix?
It does upscale over component. I believe it is one of the only ones out there that does (the Zenith 318 does too I think). Though, I do not have experience with it since I use DVI to HDMI on my set.

I know that the original V880 had issues (some picture issues on component and loader problems). Supposedly, the DX version fixed all of those issues (except the ir conflict with pioneer).

I have not experienced any issues with mine (knock on wood).

My statement about HKflix is just that you better be sure that you want it. If you do not like it, then returning it will be an issue. I think they charge a huge restocking fee.

As far as receiving a damaged player from them, I do not know their policy. Luckily, mine was received in great condition. From what I have read in the past, they are a great online retailer until you have to return something.

http://www.momitsu.com/dvd_880faq.html
Old 02-09-05, 10:55 AM
Banned

Does this machine have a "red-push" at all like the Malata?

I just want to cover all bases before I take the plunge. But everything I've heard about this machine has been absolutely fantastic.

I'm not too worried about hating the remote or anything like that. The Malata remote doesn't even have a "power" button so I'm guessing it's not worse that that. am I wrong?
Old 02-09-05, 11:05 AM

Does this machine have a "red-push" at all like the Malata?

I just want to cover all bases before I take the plunge. But everything I've heard about this machine has been absolutely fantastic.

I'm not too worried about hating the remote or anything like that. The Malata remote doesn't even have a "power" button so I'm guessing it's not worse that that. am I wrong?
I have not noticed or heard of a red push. My tv has been isf calibrated and the picture via the momitsu is awesome. Believe me, ive been through numerous upscaling players and havent been very happy with any of them.

I did notice a green push when I had the Denon 1910. It was very noticeable.

My main gripe about the momitsu is the remote and responsiveness. It is kinda slow, but those issues are minor compared to the various picture/audio issues that ive experienced with other upscaling players.

Not to mention that it is multi-region whereas all the others that I tried were not.

Personally, I give it a huge thumbs up and wonder why it is not more highly regarded among the dvd community.
Old 02-09-05, 11:13 AM
Banned

Well, i've been doing research all morning and I think i'm ready to take the plunge. I also got my malata from HKflix and it's time to move on at this point. The red push has really annoyed me with my new TV, considering it has a red-push built in that I had to correct. Thanks for your help.

But if I don't like it, I'm comin' after ya
Old 02-09-05, 11:22 AM

But if I don't like it, I'm comin' after ya
Haha....i think you will like it (as long as there are no hardware issues or something).

I know that this is the player that will get me through til HD-DVD.

Another gripe from me is that it made me spend more money on international dvds. I did not have a region free player before that.

So, ive spent alot recently on dvds from overseas. oh well!
Old 02-09-05, 11:50 AM

have had this one since october. it does upconvert through component. i'm using the dvi connection and it looks fantastic. the remote truly sucks and the build quality isn't the greatest, but if you're a big buyer of non-region 1 discs you'll be happy with the purchase. pal to ntsc conversion is excellent too.
Old 02-09-05, 11:58 AM
Banned

Don't have many pal discs. 6 to be exact. And not planning on buying many others. This will be my primary player as I've wanted one that will upconvert.

Just gonna need some help with setting it up. From what little i've heard, it's pretty complicated getting it to go to 1080i.
Old 02-09-05, 12:59 PM

Don't have many pal discs. 6 to be exact. And not planning on buying many others. This will be my primary player as I've wanted one that will upconvert.

Just gonna need some help with setting it up. From what little i've heard, it's pretty complicated getting it to go to 1080i.
I recently got the PAL versions of Ransom, Full Monty, Home Alone, Con Air, Crimson Tide and Armageddon. All of them are anamorphic whereas the region 1 NTSC versions are not.

Ive tried both 1080i and 720p. Both worked correctly by just changing the settings in the menu. Mine is set to 720p now since that is the native res of my tv.

Just remember, when you get it, initially set it up with AV cables first, then adjust your settings to what you want. After that, connect it with DVI, component or whatever you are planning to use.

I do not think you will have any problems getting 1080i. Good luck!
Old 02-09-05, 02:24 PM
Banned

OK...what do you mean by AV cables? You mean regular RCA cables? Why do you have to do this?
Old 02-09-05, 03:22 PM

OK...what do you mean by AV cables? You mean regular RCA cables? Why do you have to do this?
Well, I read somewhere that you cannot get a picture via DVI if you initially connect it with that. You need to connect it with RCA first to get into the menu.

They might have changed it, but I hooked it up with the supplied RCA cables first, made my setting changes, then connected via DVI-HDMI cable and it worked great.
Old 02-09-05, 03:48 PM
Banned

what setting changes?

I heard that there's a bit of "trial and error" in finding the right connection to DVI. Not sure what that means though.
Old 02-09-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it region free right out of the box? The 727 is acting wierd lately, and I may need a new player in the near future (the wife is just going to love when I tell her) but I want another one thats as easy as the philips was.
Old 02-09-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the options in the setup menu is for "video output" (or something, I may have the terms wrong). You have to manually set this to DVI in order to view through DVI.

So, if you initially connect the machine with a DVI cable, you won't be able to see any video and won't be able to access the menu.

You have to connect via a 'standard' connection first, go to the menu, select DVI, and then switch to that cable.

Setup isn't too hard. It just doesn't have a particularly elegant user interface and there are lots of options.
Old 02-09-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Is it region free right out of the box? The 727 is acting wierd lately, and I may need a new player in the near future (the wife is just going to love when I tell her) but I want another one thats as easy as the philips was.
Details are here:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/video...ackground.html

If you go to the "Intial Impressions" section, there's info about the Secret Menu that you can use to disable Region Coding and Macrovision.
Old 02-10-05, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Mine was set to Macrovision free, region 0 right out of the box. But, I do not know if this is the factory settings on all of them.

If you get it from HKFlix, it will probably have the same settings.
Old 02-10-05, 08:22 AM

what setting changes?

I heard that there's a bit of "trial and error" in finding the right connection to DVI. Not sure what that means though.
As bboisvert stated earlier, you have to select the video output and the initial setting is not DVI.

I did not have any issues after changing that setting. I changed to my DVI>HDMI cable and set the resolution to 720p. It worked with no issue.

One comment though, I think mine has a weak IR sensor in the player. My remote doesnt seem to work well at long distances (over 5 feet or so). That may explain why I was disappointed in the remote responsiveness.

Someone on avsforum got one that just plain didnt work with the remote and that made me a little suspect about mine too.

I contacted momitsu support and they are going to fix mine. They were very responsive so far, so hopefully, their support will be good. I have to send it to CA and he said the turnaround time is 2-3 days.
Old 02-10-05, 09:24 AM
Banned

Sounds good. I live in an apartment so I'm not THAT far from my player.

Supposedly I should receive mine within a week. Here's hoping!
Old 02-10-05, 10:20 AM

Sounds good. I live in an apartment so I'm not THAT far from my player.

Supposedly I should receive mine within a week. Here's hoping!
Yeah, its actually funny. My couch is about 6-7 feet away from my tv. The remote responsiveness kinda sucks and I have to lean over a bit to get it to work from the couch.

At first, I just thought this was standard, but it sounds like I have a bad ir in the player. They will probably just replace it for me. Hopefully, it will solve the issue.

If it does, I really have no other complaints about this player.
Old 02-11-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Usually weak IR sensing is because of the remote that came with the machine. I've had this problem with Sony, Malata, and Tivo/Philips. If you have a universal anywhere, try it. If it works better, it's the remote. A strong universal would probably be much better.

Sometimes a machine has a poorly designed sensor location, also. It could be too deep inside so you need a really direct angle or something like that. That's harder to overcome. I've even heard a couple stories of people who had physically misaligned sensors in a machine. They opened it up, straightened it out, and all was well.

And, of course, it could just be broken.
Old 02-11-05, 07:45 PM

I also have this player. It sure looks like one of those $50 players from Sears, but the picture I get is outstanding. I use the DVI out at 720p on my CRT tube XBR, and it blows my old 480p Sony away.

The region free is by far the best thing about this player. I've already picked up better versions of Blade, The Transporter, Terminator, Silence of The Lambs, and King Arthur. It is region free out of the box, so there is no code or anything that is needed.

As for the remote, it is a huge piece of crap. But I just had my Yamaha receiver remote learn the functions, and no problems at all. I got mine from Extreme Phono for a decent price. I bet you'll be pretty happy with this player.
Old 02-11-05, 08:39 PM
Banned

Why are people using 720p instead of 1080i?
Old 02-12-05, 10:44 AM

Quite simply, 720p just looks better than 1080i on my TV. There really isn't that much of a difference, but I've looked at both multiple times, and 720p looks less compressed. Just use what looks best for your set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.