Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers [Part Two]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [Part Two]

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Full review here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14235
Old 02-03-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, I read it, thanks Josh!
Old 02-04-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Excellent review Josh.

BTW, did you notice that there are two very brief instances of ghosting (at least, I think that's what it is) in the new transfer?
Spoiler:
They both occur during the fight amidst the flowers. When Jin has a soldier knocked down and ther's a closeup of Jin (with the soldier pinned under his back) sticking his machete into the other man's back there's a brief instance of ghosting when the blade enters and when Jin flips around with another soldier (the one whose throat he slices), there's some breif ghosting as they flip.

Still, I'm actually quite happy with the transfer on this set. It's too bad the Starmax set dumped the Mandarin track and if Elite does a transfer, I doubt I'll get it if it's unsubtitled as was their release of Hero.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-04-05 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-04-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Still, I'm actually quite happy with the transfer on this set. It's too bad the Starmax set dumped the Mandarin track and if Elite does a transfer, I doubt I'll get it if it's unsubtitled as was their release of Hero.
Hero was subbed... so why is HOFD sans subs? Its a shame, really.
Old 02-04-05, 03:44 PM

Where is this rumor coming from about the Starmax release not having the original Mandarin track?
Old 02-04-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
there's some breif ghosting as they flip.[/B]
I didn't notice anything like that. I guess it depends on what you are calling "ghosting". If you can describe exactly what it is you're seeing, I'll take another look.
Old 02-04-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sifu
Where is this rumor coming from about the Starmax release not having the original Mandarin track?
HOFD LE

I don't take this as confirmation that the Mandarin track is included. It may only signify the original language of the film is Mandarin.
Old 02-04-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
HOFD LE

I don't take this as confirmation that the Mandarin track is included. It may only signify the original language of the film is Mandarin.
I sent an email to verify the soundtrack language. I was hoping we'd see an (early) review on this release. I've been holding off on reordering the Edko version again (defective copy).

Ron

PS: Are we certain that the R1 release won't have the original cut of the film?
Old 02-04-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Potential good news. DVDetective.com said their supplier stated that the soundtrack DOES include the original mandarin language soundtrack in DTS, but not DTS ES.

http://www.thedvdetective.com/Mercha...Category_Code=

Now if it was only released and we all could know for sure.

Ron
Old 02-04-05, 11:30 PM

House Of Flying Daggers (Starmax Version)

Ok, my friend James at dvdutopia.com has took pictures of the casing/stuffs and posted it there. He told me that he will watch everything over the weekend and try to write an extensive review by next Tuesday.

Mine is supposed to come next Monday. Can't wait!!!

http://www.dvdutopia.com/forums/inde...showtopic=1296
Old 02-05-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2-disc R3 Edko DVD was able to play through the bamboo scene, and get through the 1:25:00 mark, so I guess I got a good pressing of the DVD. Whew!

The dts-ES audio track is insane during the scenes with a barrage of sound.
Old 02-05-05, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
Potential good news. DVDetective.com said their supplier stated that the soundtrack DOES include the original mandarin language soundtrack in DTS, but not DTS ES.

http://www.thedvdetective.com/Mercha...Category_Code=

Now if it was only released and we all could know for sure.

Ron
someone in korea got it already and confirmed the korean LE has the original mandarin track in DTS.
Old 02-05-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dying for a comparison between Starmax and Edko!
Old 02-05-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdordie
Ok, my friend James at dvdutopia.com has took pictures of the casing/stuffs and posted it there. He told me that he will watch everything over the weekend and try to write an extensive review by next Tuesday.
Does he have the Edko disc to compare it to? What type of display is he watching on?
Old 02-05-05, 06:47 PM

I messengered him and asked.

His reply : No, he doesn't own the Edko version and he uses DMTech 611 dvdp. He tried it on his region 1 coded Panasonic XP-50 and says it doesn't play. He will try and see if it plays with Panasonic LV-65 portable which is region freed. He watches it on a 32" wide TV from Sony.
Old 02-05-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Great news about the Starmax version having the Mandarin soundtrack. I'd like to see a comparison compared to the Edko disc, but I might just try picking it up myself.
Old 02-05-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the set is still available from a number of retailers, so I will wait a few more days to see some comparisons.
Old 02-06-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While perusing, I found this: http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...ection-videos/
Old 02-06-05, 05:04 PM

There are two versions out in Korea. The Limited Edition (3,000 prints) which you might have seen at our forum and the one you have referred to, which is the normal 2 disc version.

I have seen the normal version at stores this past Sunday (it's Monday here atm) and it looks cheap. LE is the way to go on this as the price do not differ much between them.

Last edited by dvdordie; 02-06-05 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know, but I had thought Sony/Columbia made yesasia remove all import releases, guess that wasn't the case.
Old 02-06-05, 06:06 PM

I know, but I had thought Sony/Columbia made yesasia remove all import releases, guess that wasn't the case.
Your link is to global.yesasia.com. Sony Pictures probably doesn't have distribution rights for HK. If you try to get it shipped to the US by selecting country/region, for instance, it won't be available. You'll get this message when you try to check out: "We are sorry. The following items are not available at YesAsia.com North America. They have been removed from your Shopping Cart."
Search us.yesasia.com and you won't find it listed. You have to buy it directly from an HK etailer like layoyo or dddhouse who don't have a physical presence in the US.

Last edited by dleedlee; 02-06-05 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I didn't notice anything like that. I guess it depends on what you are calling "ghosting". If you can describe exactly what it is you're seeing, I'll take another look.
I guess I'm missapplying the term. What I was incorrectly reffering to as ghosting was this sort of afterimage you see in those two instances I mentioned. I wasn't looking for it at all but it just sorta caught my eye during one of my many viewings. It's not my player as I went frame by frame and it's there but only for a frame or two. It doesn't look bad. Just odd. And it happens a third time in the same scene when Jin takes the final arrow from his quiver. Just look at his arm. I guess it was either intentional or something that happened in camera when the scene was shot.
Old 02-06-05, 08:20 PM

Ok, James has put up his review of the Starmax release of HOFD LE.

http://www.dvdutopia.com/forums/inde...showtopic=1299
Old 02-06-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdordie
Ok, James has put up his review of the Starmax release of HOFD LE.

http://www.dvdutopia.com/forums/inde...showtopic=1299
damn! now I really can't wait for this to arrive! Luckily, it's still playing in theatres so I'm going to try and go see this again in a couple of days.
Old 02-07-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

dvdordie, thanks for the link to your friend's review. You think he might get his hands on the Edko two disc set to compare the video quality? And does he know if the DTS track on the Starmax release is also fullrate?

And on a slightly different topic, what is the deal people have with the fights in this movie? I don't mean this as an attack on your friend as I find this to be a general complaint. The fights are few in number and not particularly long (not even the final duel) yet I've read many negative reviews claiming that the fights are practically endless. It's just odd considering they are quite the opposite.
Spoiler:
Also, I've read so many reviews complaining about Mei dying and coming back to life a whole bunch of times and yet when I saw the film all that happens is she gets stabbed, passes out, mutters a few words to Jin, passes out, and then kills herself by pulling out the dagger.
Color me confused.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.