Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Semi-bulk purchase of dvds from Japan. What's the best way/deal? Need advise plz.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Semi-bulk purchase of dvds from Japan. What's the best way/deal? Need advise plz.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have fought myself long enough on this... buying dvds from Japan.

I've yet to buy any dvds from Japan because of how expensive they are.
I can hold out no longer though, as there are too, too many great dvds exclusive to Japan. Like Blade(dts), Heat(dts), some Superbit and UE titles etc...

Since I'm doing this, I'm gonna go ahead and order about 15-20 dvds.
So i pose these questions to you for help.
Is there any way of getting my dvds cheaper with coupons, free shpg, or any other discounts available?
Where should I, or where is the best place to get them from?
Are there any dvds that I may order that are not worth it for some reason, like... the dvds discription may sound better than region 1, but the picture looks like crap, or the audio sounds horrible.
Also, please feel free to throw in recomendations of dvds to purchase.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Dave
Old 01-29-05, 08:54 PM

First you need to do some research on which version is the best. You can do this at places like DVDBeaver or Rewind
Old 01-29-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new Heat that is being released might have DTS in other countries, so you might wanna wait and see.
Old 01-30-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhasegaw
First you need to do some research on which version is the best. You can do this at places like DVDBeaver or Rewind
I've already done tons of research and pretty much know what I'm going to get. I just know somtimes misinformation could steer me in the wrong direction. Like I was gonna get the Korean version of Heat for the DTS till I found out it was misframed. I'm not a virgin to purchasing non-R1 dvds... just from Japan. Thanks for the advise though.
_ _ _

I never thought of that Bill. Aren't the chances pretty slim though? Aren't WB dvds distributed by WB worldwide?... and since they're anti-dts now, there's not much of a possibility for DTS. I guess we can always hope though, and just wait and see.

Thanks guys
Old 01-30-05, 04:48 AM

i recommend using yesasia.com as they ship into the USA and send on from there... the prices include shipping and each time you order something like $50 worth you get a $5 off coupon, so you could place each item order individually... and then use coupons on subsequent items (one coupon used in discount per purchase you see)...

you will also avoid duty import charges from ordering so much in one go, and the site is in english too so it easy to see what youre doing...

worth looking into as an option i would say...
Old 01-30-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never thought of that Bill. Aren't the chances pretty slim though? Aren't WB dvds distributed by WB worldwide?... and since they're anti-dts now, there's not much of a possibility for DTS. I guess we can always hope though, and just wait and see.
Shawshank in the UK is DTS and that is the new edition.
Old 01-30-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by logboy
i recommend using yesasia.com as they ship into the USA and send on from there... the prices include shipping and each time you order something like $50 worth you get a $5 off coupon, so you could place each item order individually... and then use coupons on subsequent items (one coupon used in discount per purchase you see)...

you will also avoid duty import charges from ordering so much in one go, and the site is in english too so it easy to see what youre doing...

worth looking into as an option i would say...

Very helpfull indeed logboy. I'll look into it and thank you.

-Bill
I did not know that about Shawshank. Interesting indeed. Kind-of pisses me off though since I just got the R1 from CH a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bump
Old 02-03-05, 04:52 PM

Also check out Amazon.co.jp and see how much they all add up to. In my experience they have been cheaper than CD Japan and Yes Asia, in many cases. Additionally, I've found the cheapest shipping option to be perfectly fine, with stuff arriving in around a week. The largest orders I've done have been 3ish DVDs with 2/3ish CDs too. Might run into some importing related stuffs since it's overseas and a large order, but certainly still worth investigating.

edit. Oh yeah, and don't let the language barrier deter you, the site is cake to order from.

Last edited by Zenigata; 02-03-05 at 04:54 PM.