Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PUNISHER (Dolph Lundgren version) ... still available?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if the topic has been shown somewhere but I can't find it...

Call me crazy or anything, but I prefer this version than the new Punisher ... unfortunately Artisan's R-rated version R1 DVD is already OOP. Even the unrated Dutch DVD (which is probably bootleg) seems unavailable either.

I wonder if this title still available in other region, and how's the cut?

If not, is there any rumor that Lions Gate (I believe they own Artisan now?) will re-release this title again, like they do on Rambo?
Old 01-28-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had no idea that this is OOP. Glad I picked it up. I didn't even know there was another cut. Its one outstandingly violent movie. I would say to hit the small hole in the wall dvd stores and they may still have a copy.
Old 01-28-05, 07:30 PM

I was just looking for this dvd last week, and couldn't find it anywhere. I didn't realize it was OOP. I'd love to hear if this is available anywhere.
Old 01-28-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
it is OOP (the region 1) but it doesn't go for some outrageous price. you will probably end up paying maybe 9.99 for it on ebay. I found a copy used at Blockbuster for only $4.99.
Old 01-28-05, 10:52 PM

The problem is I don't live in USA, and I don't really trust eBay. Anyway, I also read somewhere that it might be available in R3 Korea. Is it true? Anyone has it?
Old 01-29-05, 12:06 PM

The problem is I don't live in USA, and I don't really trust eBay. Anyway, I also read somewhere that it might be available in R3 Korea. Is it true? Anyone has it?
There is indeed an R3 Korean version -- I picked it up dirt cheap from Koreandvds.com about a month ago (I think it was less than $5, not counting the shipping), along with a DTS SE of CLIFFHANGER (also under $10).

The bad news is that it's identical to the US DVD, which is in mono (even though the packaging states it's in stere). The laserdisc had a stereo mix.

Is there ANY better version (stereo at least, if not uncut) available anywhere else in the world?
Old 01-31-05, 03:01 AM

Any rumor that Punisher will be re-released? Otherwise, maybe I have to try the Korean DVD, better than nothing at all. Oh heck, by the way, what is missing in the r-rated version? If it's only two headshots ... oh heck, I can live without two headshots... once again, better than nothing at all...
Old 01-31-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this title is OOP in the U.S., but there were plenty on ebay (mostly shipping from Canada; don't know if it's OOP there), for a measly sum.
Old 01-31-05, 12:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
glad I own my Japanese laserdisc copy of the film.
Old 01-31-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Guys,
I found this version: http://www.sazuma.com/showdcd.php3?dcd_id=HL002
There is another place (www.medienversand.at) in Austria that seems to have it in stock. Both claim that it's the uncut version, widescreen with an English stereo track. It seems to be the same as the dutch disc, they are both from HIGH LAND (never heard of them before).

Regards,
Dirk
Old 01-31-05, 06:53 PM

Those are probably bootlegs ... and the price is definitely not cheap for an unofficial release.
Old 01-31-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a german webpage that confirms that the High Land DVD is a bootleg: http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fas...=388&vid=78794 (in German) It also says that the scenes that were put back into the movie are from a different source and it's noticeable.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 02-01-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the video quality on the R1 dvd isn't that great. it felt like i was watching a VHS for some reason!
Old 03-09-05, 10:45 PM

I've got the R3 Korea from koreandvds.com. Well, at least I've got a copy of Punisher at last. It's not great quality but definitely watchable. Such a pity it's in mono while it should be at least stereo as it is clearly mentioned inthe end credit.

What is exactly cut in this version? Is it when Lady Tanaka shoved gunbarrel to De Leo's mouth (one of the mafia) and fire? (No blood splattered on the wall shown). I couldn't remember it correctly either. I only watched this previously in theatre long time ago.