Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD region confusion

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVD region confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD region confusion

I recently just brought the Infernal Affairs Trilogy boxset and the Edko edition of old boy; both which are all region 3 disc. However, my DVD player can play the the Infernal Affairs Trilogy boxset but not old boy? it keeps saying "wrong Region"

How can I fix this?

My dvd play is a Sony DVP-NC675P.

thanks
Old 01-17-05, 05:38 PM

I think the Internal Affairs boxset is actually region-free.

Unless there's a region-free hack for your DVD player (which I doubt, since Sony isn't exactly well-known for letting people tamper with their copy controls) your only option to play the original Oldboy DVD is to get a second, region-free DVD player. Or, if you have a DVD burner on your computer, you can rip the DVD and re-record it without region coding.
Old 01-17-05, 08:51 PM

Suprsho, you will find that quite a few Korean and Hong Kong DVDs that state R3 on the case are actually all-region. The trick is to know which are which. This is especially important for those without an all-region capable player.

DVDAsian is usually very accurate when it comes to region coding information. DVDcompare.net is also very good.
Old 01-17-05, 10:14 PM

FYI, Memories of Murder is listed as Region 3 but it plays on my region 1 panasonic xp50. http://www.dvdutopia.com/forums/inde...showtopic=1117
Old 01-18-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Memories of Murder is Region 1 and 3 (for some reason.....)

Oldboy is Region 3 Only. oh well..... it is worth it to invest in region free
Old 01-18-05, 02:02 PM

The IA Trilogy is Region 1 and 3.
Old 01-18-05, 02:09 PM

Owning a Region Free Player (and one that converts Pal to NTSC) is a must these days. I don't know how I could survive without one....

...as for the Infernal Affairs, I've seen both an R3 and R0 for the box set. It depends what the box looks like. I think the all black box is R0 if my memory isn't failing me
Old 01-22-05, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by splattii
Owning a Region Free Player (and one that converts Pal to NTSC) is a must these days. I don't know how I could survive without one....

You said it!!! I absolutely love my DVD player --it's multi-region (region free) and it converts PAL to NTSC and vice versa; check out the "cheapest DVD player that will play DVDs from England" thread for more info on region-free, PAL-NTSC converting players including model numbers.

I have a question for you, tho-- you said that when you put in the DVD the player said "wrong region"-- Did you get the map too? (It's like a flat world map with the regions highlighted) If you already own a region-free machince it's *possible* the disc has a new "next-generation" region coding. As far as I know Warner Bros. in the US is the only major studio using the new system, but word on the street is that it's *specifically* an ANTI-region free crack that can even damage multi-region players.

--Brit TV Fan