DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   anyone know when tony jaa's new film is coming? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/405113-anyone-know-when-tony-jaas-new-film-coming.html)

slateef 01-14-05 12:03 PM

anyone know when tony jaa's new film is coming?

anyone know when tony jaa's new film is supposed to be released (either theatrically or on dvd)?

after ong bak, he's really set the bar quite high (at least in terms of stunts and fight scenes, if not acting!).

really looking forward to it...

Shagrath 01-14-05 12:35 PM

According to imdb, it's still in filming. However, this prompted me to look at another movie I had forgotten about by the same production crew as Ong Bak called "Born to Fight". The trailer for it makes it look just as amazing as Ong Bak, and ethaicd's got the VCD for only 6.50 shipped. No dvd version yet, but I'm hoping it's not too long. I may go ahead and spring for the VCD if they don't have a DVD version out in the next couple of weeks.

ytrez 01-14-05 01:35 PM

I'm still waiting for a dubbed ediition of Ong Bak. (I didn't miss it did I?)

Shagrath 01-14-05 02:09 PM

I don't think there's an official subtitled release of Ong Bak yet. I have the Thai dvd as well as the making of, and it's a movie you can watch and enjoy without any subtitles. The plot is pretty paper thin, from what one of my Thai associates said. It was only like 10-12$ shipped anyways, so I've been enjoying it for about 2 years now, while everyone else is sitting around indefinately waiting for a subbed version.

dleedlee 01-14-05 02:26 PM

The HK vcd (subbed) can be had for $4.99 at yesasia. The anamorphic HK R3 DVD is not subbed. But I can't remember which one was slightly trimmed for violence. Anyone help me out on this?

pat00139 01-16-05 12:25 AM

I think the VCD was trimmed. My brother has the DVD and it said it looked okay. I've got the Korean R3 DVD. It's uncut but only has Korean subs.

PinwiZ 01-16-05 12:56 AM

I'm curious to see Born To Fight as well. That scene in the trailer where the guy's head is almost crushed by the truck is just insane.

mrhan 01-16-05 01:27 AM

Any update on when HKL is suppose to release Ong Bak? I've been wanting to replace the VCD and have been holding back on buying the current DVD release.

Grimfarrow 01-16-05 03:45 AM

His new film is called "Tom Yum Koong", and it was SUPPOSED to close the Bangkok Film Festival. But no longer - I think it withdrew. Not surprising, as it just wrapped in Australia not long ago...

RaMMaR 01-16-05 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan
Any update on when HKL is suppose to release Ong Bak? I've been wanting to replace the VCD and have been holding back on buying the current DVD release.

i've read that HKL will release it shortly after it's UK theatrical run.

burninator 01-16-05 09:13 AM

Don't know if anyone has seen this or not, but it *appears* as if Ong-Bak is going to be released in the states, as there are 2 trailers for it on quicktime, here and here

No dates for it and of course no idea if or how cut up it would actually be, but still cool there are trailers there for it. . .

RyoHazuki 01-16-05 09:35 AM

Luc Besson is supposedly overseeing the US release and had it rescored and tightened the pacing somewhat.

Trigger 01-16-05 09:40 AM

link me to the Born To Fight trailer please. :)

I think most of us already knew about Ong Bak coming to theaters in the States... I think there are threads about it in Movie Talk. I think the date is Feb 4th.

As for his next film - I read somewhere (probably here) that it's going to be a project with Jackie Chan.

The one he just wrapped on in Australia is pretty much the same story as Ong Bak it looks like. Someone steals an elephant and he travels to get it back and gets into fights. But whatever, it should still be good fun. HongKong Legends obtained the rights to it and it sounds like they're going to jump on top of releasing it as soon as they are able to. Word is - they love the film. HKL will also be releasing a 2 disc collector's edition of Ong Bak shortly after the theatrical run.

mrhan 01-16-05 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RaMMaR
i've read that HKL will release it shortly after it's UK theatrical run.

When is that suppose to be? I remember reading on HKL's site that it will be released in the first quarter of 2005. Hopefully, it doesn't change.

flashburn 01-16-05 03:28 PM

When is that suppose to be? I remember reading on HKL's site that it will be released in the first quarter of 2005. Hopefully, it doesn't change.

Isn't going to be the 'Luc Besson cut'? I thought he held rights to this movie in all english language countries, to produce his own cut.

mrhan 01-16-05 05:45 PM

I can live with his cut as long as the original version is on there, too.

flashburn 01-16-05 05:51 PM

I can live with his cut as long as the original version is on there, too.

Wish I could find the article, but I am pretty sure he said he wants his cut to be the only one available.

PinwiZ 01-16-05 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
Wish I could find the article, but I am pretty sure he said he wants his cut to be the only one available.

From the people that have seen the Luc Besson cut (it was shown at a film festival a month ago or so), it's actually better. I have the movie on DVD and while the action scenes are outstanding, the pacing of the movie overall is slow. It has dull spots that could be repaced or removed entirely, and apparently that's what Besson did.

He also changed the music which I don't mind either as the original music is forgettable at best, and somewhat annoying at worst.

twitch 01-17-05 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by PinwiZ
I'm curious to see Born To Fight as well. That scene in the trailer where the guy's head is almost crushed by the truck is just insane.

Sweet as that stunt is it's nowhere close to being the best one ... the back half of the film is so action focused that there are maybe five lines of dialog and there are at least three other sequences that match or beat the truck ...

Whoever was looking for the trailer: www.borntofightmovie.com ... just head to ethai or thaicdexpress and order the vcd ... cropped and unsubbed, but it's only six bucks after shipping and well worth the money. Looks as though the UK DVD will be the first to hit in OAR and subtitled ... that comes in May ...

gabegarwick 01-17-05 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by twitch
Sweet as that stunt is it's nowhere close to being the best one ... the back half of the film is so action focused that there are maybe five lines of dialog and there are at least three other sequences that match or beat the truck ...

Whoever was looking for the trailer: www.borntofightmovie.com ... just head to ethai or thaicdexpress and order the vcd ... cropped and unsubbed, but it's only six bucks after shipping and well worth the money. Looks as though the UK DVD will be the first to hit in OAR and subtitled ... that comes in May ...

The website is offline, I found the trailer here http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/t...rticleID=12183