Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any other BRIT TV fans out there?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm from the Midwestern US, but I've been a Brit TV fan since I was a kid. I collect British TV in both Region 1/NTSC and REgion 2/PAL formats. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum likes British TV as much as I do, or if you're all mainly Asian TV/ Japanese Animation fans. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Here's a brief list of what I have so far.

Blackadder (complete) (R1)
All Creatures Great and Small (R1) Series 1-3, and specials
Fawlty Towers (R1) (complete)
The Heat of the Sun (R1) (complete, 3 2-hr movies)
The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (R1) (complete)
Horatio Hornblower (R1) (all of it so far, 8 2-hr movies)
NeverWhere (R1) (complete)
The Sandbaggers (R1) (Sets 1 and 2)
Sapphire and Steel (R1) --Despite NEVER being aired in the US the DVDs are region 1!! (complete)
Advs of Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) (R1)
Thunderbirds (R1) Gerry Anderson's series (complete)
UFO (R1) Gerry Anderson LIVE action series (complete)

Blake's 7 (R2) -- I only have series 1, I'd like ALL of it, I know series 1 comes out in mid-January 2005, but does ANYONE know about series 3 and 4?
Brass (R2)
The Professionals Seasons 1-3 (R2)
Randall and Hopkirk, Deceased the 2000 version with Reeves & Mortimer Series 1 and 2 (R2)

--Midwestern Brit TV fan
Old 01-05-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Brit TV" is a gigantic topic, though. You might as well say "American TV", it's that big. There's so many genres and different styles that it really can't be seen as a love it/hate it thing. Just because you like Fawlty Towers doesn't mean you'll like Black Books, you know?

I, too, quite like a lot of British Sitcoms (I'm also in the midwest - Oak Forest, Illinois). Looking at the stuff you have, you would probably enjoy Spaced, with its characters themselves raised on brit sci-fi!

You're a new member, so welcome to the forum.
Old 01-05-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huge Britcom fan here, also in Illinois.

My faves:

Bottom
The Young Ones
Filthy, Rich & Catflap
The New Statesman
Believe Nothing
- pretty much anything starring Rik Mayall.

Spaced

Black Adder
The Thin Blue Line
Not The 9 O'Clock News
Mr. Bean
- pretty much anything starring Rowan Atkinson

Danger Mouse

League of Gentlemen

I'm Alan Partridge
Knowing Me, Knowing You: With Alan Partridge

Coupling

The Office

A Bit of Fry & Laurie

Phoenix Nights

and the list goes on.

I'm also into other British TV such as The Prisoner; Thunderbirds; Danger Man; and the great TV movies like Threads, The Singing Detective and The Day of the Triffids.

Last edited by Numanoid; 01-05-05 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 06:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You definitely need to add Black Books to your collection- (Region 2)

Check out BBCAmerica starting 1/20 @ 9:30 PM ET When the series premieres
Old 01-05-05, 06:54 PM

I'm a huge Absolutely Fabulous fan. I have all the Region 1 DVD's and the Region 2 release of the "Gay" special. The Region 1 release was Pan and Scan, and since "Gay" was filmed in widescreen, I had to pick up the widescreen British R2 disc.
Old 01-05-05, 07:07 PM

DonnachaOne said:
Quote:
"Brit TV" is a gigantic topic, though. You might as well say "American TV", it's that big. There's so many genres and different styles that it really can't be seen as a love it/hate it thing. Just because you like Fawlty Towers doesn't mean you'll like Black Books, you know?

I, too, quite like a lot of British Sitcoms (I'm also in the midwest - Oak Forest, Illinois). Looking at the stuff you have, you would probably enjoy Spaced, with its characters themselves raised on brit sci-fi!

You're a new member, so welcome to the forum.

Unquote

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome!

I *know* British TV is kinda' a big topic-- but I watch a LOT of it, from historical dramas ("Upstairs, Downstairs" and and I *always* forget the name of it but the one about the 2 sisters who were fashion designers in like 1910 or something?) to comedys to obviously SF. (I noticed I forgot to mention *Doctor Who*-- my all-time favorite British series. Don't know HOW I forgot to mention it).
Besides to be "Japanese Animation" or "Hong Kong action flicks" are BIG topics --to me--, and ones that I know VERY little about (I've seen *some* anime, it's hard to avoid when you like SF, but I don't collect it. It's too expensive for one thing. I mean, the British stuff is hard *enough* to find, and can be expensive. I can't collect both, as much as I might *like* to!). And I don't MIND that other folks really get into anime, but I was just wondering if anyone else was watching British TV on this forum, that's all! :-(

I have no idea what "Black Books" is! None! So do tell.

"Spaced" I've heard of, someone recommended it to me on another forum. I'm just *not* sure I want to buy something I've never actually seen, without knowing if I'd like it. (maybe I'm weird, but the stuff I collect on DVD is stuff I *know* I'll like, movies I've seen, or the occasional classic film I've always WANTED to see; and TV shows that I've at least seen an ep or two of and WANT to see the whole series and to own it.)

Hum, you're in Oak Forest? I'm near Grand Rapids, Mich.

Take Care,
--BritTVfan Midwest
Old 01-05-05, 07:32 PM

and Numanoid said: Quote:
Huge Britcom fan here, also in Illinois.

I'll be commenting WITHIN Numanoid's list! Okay?

My faves:

Bottom --Not seen

The Young Ones -- Seen it on MTV, of all places, and didn't like it (sorry).
Filthy, Rich & Catflap -- Not heard of
The New Statesman -- Drama or comedy? Doesn't sound familar
Believe Nothing - pretty much anything starring Rik Mayall. --Oh, well then, "new Statesman" is a comedy? Wouldn't happen to be a *political* comedy would it (I'd LOVE to see Rik Mayall play a politician. That'd be hilarious!).

The only thing I've seen Rik Mayall in, really, was the episodes of *BlackAdder* that he did. Tho' I must admit, I *loved* Lord Flashheart!!! "Bells" is a classic!
("She's got a tongue like an electric eel, and she likes the taste of a *man's* tonsils!")
That an, "Funny, I always feel more comfy in a dress!" -- but you have to SEE the entire ep, to realise why that's such a funny line!

Spaced -- I think I need to know more about this!

Black Adder
The Thin Blue Line
Not The 9 O'Clock News
Mr. Bean - pretty much anything starring Rowan Atkinson

I LOVED *Blackadder*, but I don't like Mr. Bean -- so I'm curious about "The Thin Blue Line", which is it more like? And I'd LOVE to see "Not the Nine O'clock News"-- is that out on DVD?

Danger Mouse -- A CLASSIC!!! I absolutely LOVED it! Like "Rocky and Bullwinkle" and "The Tick", it's probably one of the VERY few animated series I'd like to own!

(Talk about *killer* puns. The episode/story titles alone of *Danger Mouse* were enough to like actually *hurt* you).

League of Gentlemen -- I need to know more about this too. I've heard a little bit about it, and I've actually considered ordering it. Wasn't the writer or producer or something like that (a creative person behind it) the same guy who WROTE the new version of *Randall and Hopkirk, deceased*, starring Reeves and Mortimer?
Anyway-- who's in it, basic set-up, etc. PLEASE tell me!

I'm Alan Partridge
Knowing Me, Knowing You: With Alan Partridge -- Not seen or heard of this

Coupling --finally caught an ep on BBCA (I know, I know), it's not bad. I need to watch a BIT more before deciding to order it or not. (To me it's almost like "thirtySomething" meets "Ally McBeal" tho' and that is SO NOT my thing). Tho' I must admit, the ep I saw had me laughing out loud and nearly falling off the couch, which "Ally McBeal" does NOT!!!

The Office -- Won't watch it. Don't like reality series! (or pseudo-reality series)

A Bit of Fry & Laurie -- I'd LOVE to see this, they were both brilliant in *Blackadder*. And I like Hugh Laurie in EVERYTHING he does, including the new series, "House, MD"

Phoenix Nights -- Not heard of it!

and the list goes on.

I know-- once you start you can't stop, it's worse than potato chips! (You just can't stop at *one* British series).

For what it's worth my wish list includes:

More *Blake's 7* (I *will* buy all four series, if the Beeb puts them out)
More *Doctor Who* (as silly as it sounds, I'd like ALL of it, which is, I think, like 160 or something stories)

*Robin of Sherwood* -- It's available but I haven't had a chance to order it
Season 4 of *The Professionals* (the remaining episodes)
Danger Mouse
A Very Peculiar Practice
ANYTHING with Peter Davison, really (I'd *love* to see "Sink or Swim" too!)
Waking the Dead
Shoestring
(pretty much ANYTHING with Trevor Eve, too)
Wire in the Blood (Series 1 and 2 I'm *definately* planning on buying).
the rest of the Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) series (Return, Memoires, Casebook, and the movies)
Upstairs, Downstairs (THAT and Babylon 5 are the two most expensive series that I *really* want)
The series with the two sisters mentioned in my other e-mail. I can't remember WHAT it was called. But it was made by Jean Marsh, and I *think* John's Hawksworth
The New Avengers
McCallum, maybe
Lord Peter Whimsey (Is there any way of getting this OTHER than the Region 1, terribly chucky box set? I would like MORE than one episode per DVD)
Red Dwarf

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'd probably buy more mysteries and historical dramas if I could tho'.

-BritTV fan Midwest

I'm also into other British TV such as The Prisoner; Thunderbirds; Danger Man; and the great TV movies like Threads, The Singing Detective and The Day of the Triffids.
Old 01-05-05, 07:46 PM
Cool New Member

I am from the land of Brit TV.

If you like British Comedy, check out the animated series 'Monkey Dust' and sketch show 'Bo Selecta'. They are more recent shows to the ones already mentioned but are very good esp Monkey Dust.
Old 01-05-05, 09:05 PM

Little Britain is the new fave for me.
Old 01-05-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have:

Coupling
Monty Python
Young Ones
Comic Strip
Fawlty Towers
The Office (not too funny yet - only saw a few eps)
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

My favorite is Coupling - haven't seen anything else quite as funny (Young Ones back in the 80s was as funny, but doesn't hold up today).
Old 01-05-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've been purchasing and renting Brit TV Comedy lately too.

I own and have watched --

15 Storeys High ***1/2
Black Books ***
Coupling **1/2
Monkey Dust ***
The Office ****
Red Dwarf **
Spaced ***

I own and still need to see --
Ali G Show
Human Remains
Peep Show
Phoenix Nights

I've rented or previously owned --

Black Adder *
Bottom **
Father Ted *
Yes Minister ***
The Young Ones **

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 01-16-05 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BritTVfanMidwst
The New Statesman -- Drama or comedy? Doesn't sound familar
Believe Nothing - pretty much anything starring Rik Mayall. --Oh, well then, "new Statesman" is a comedy? Wouldn't happen to be a *political* comedy would it (I'd LOVE to see Rik Mayall play a politician. That'd be hilarious!).
Well then, you should like this show. Mayall plays a member of Parliament. A ruthlessly evil member of Parliament, that is. And yes, it's a comedy. There were four seasons. You can get the entire series in a box set from R2.
Spaced -- I think I need to know more about this!
How old are you? It may help to know what to recommend. Spaced is a very hip comedy loaded with references to sci-fi and horror. If you've seen Shaun of the Dead, you'll get an idea, as the same folks are involved in that.
I LOVED *Blackadder*, but I don't like Mr. Bean -- so I'm curious about "The Thin Blue Line", which is it more like? And I'd LOVE to see "Not the Nine O'clock News"-- is that out on DVD?
Thin Blue Line is a pretty straightforward comedy, set in a police station with Rowan Atkinson as a fairly normal but somewhat clueless chief.

Not the 9 O'Clock News has two Best Of DVDs out in R2.
League of Gentlemen -- I need to know more about this too. I've heard a little bit about it, and I've actually considered ordering it. Wasn't the writer or producer or something like that (a creative person behind it) the same guy who WROTE the new version of *Randall and Hopkirk, deceased*, starring Reeves and Mortimer?
Anyway-- who's in it, basic set-up, etc. PLEASE tell me!
Don't know about that, but League is a very edgy and dark comedy set in a small town which literally swallows up outsiders. The genius of it is that 90% of the characters are played by the same three guys, who are also the writers.
I'm Alan Partridge
Knowing Me, Knowing You: With Alan Partridge -- Not seen or heard of this
This is a recent discovery for me, but I just love it. British comic Steve Coogan plays Alan Partridge, who is a total B-list talent, but thinks he's awesome and treats his guests totally inappropriately. It's hilarious.

The Office -- Won't watch it. Don't like reality series! (or pseudo-reality series)
That is a huge mistake. Easily one of the best shows EVER MADE...anywhere. The genius of it doesn't really hit you right away, but you find yourself drawn back to it and it grows on you like a fungus until you can't live without it. It's complete fiction, by the way.

A Bit of Fry & Laurie -- I'd LOVE to see this, they were both brilliant in *Blackadder*. And I like Hugh Laurie in EVERYTHING he does, including the new series, "House, MD"
Very British sketch comedy in the style of Monty Python but much more clever and less weird.
Phoenix Nights -- Not heard of it!
A great show about a smalltown night club and the losers who inhabit it. Peter Kay, the comedian behind it, plays several parts as well as writes it. Brilliant stuff. All of these are on DVD in region 2. I susually get them through Amazon.UK
Old 01-05-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brtcmfn
You definitely need to add Black Books to your collection- (Region 2)

Check out BBCAmerica starting 1/20 @ 9:30 PM ET When the series premieres
I've watched several episodes of BB, but couldn't get hooked on it. I do like the character of Bernard Black (it's funny to think that the same actor plays the dweeb in Shaun of the Dead), and I find the girl to be totally hot. I really don't care for the Manny character.

Thanks for the heads up about BBC America. I think I'll give it another chance as I really should like it based on my other tastes. Maybe it'll grow on me.
Old 01-06-05, 04:05 AM

seems like alot of people posting in this thread are american : i am british... alot of british stuff is so typically british its hard to predict what people elsewhere will enjoy. some stuff also dates very quickly or is so fondly loved it doesnt matter to us brits that this is the case... "red dwarf" is already pretty dated and it not that old...

i would highly recommend : phoenix nights, little britain, peep show, alan partridge, black adder, spaced, the day today, brass eye : all good recent and modern comedies...

there are some "top 100" lists still online which should give some guidance too : each with more info to them...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/winner.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/top11to100.shtml

it shouldnt take much to find more info from site like this :

http://www.phill.co.uk/
Old 01-06-05, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I really like Coupling, but afficianados seem to think it's crap or shite. Should I trust opinions of people who weren't that hot on Coupling? I also dug Shaun of the Dead, so I'm considering Spaced - except I'm not into sci-fi humor very much. If the humor relies on the sci-fi too much, I'm afraid I won't like it - however, if it's just funny that happens to be in a sci-fi setting I may enjoy it. Thoughts?
Old 01-06-05, 04:53 AM

well, "shaun of the dead" is often described as "spaced : the movie" so go for it... its just the same in its overall feel...
Old 01-06-05, 08:59 AM

Surprised I see no mention of the first 2 seasons of Jeeves and Wooster with Laurie and Fry as Wodehouse's classic duo. Third season they went to America for many shows that I did not enjoy as much. If you can get your hands on these dvds, you'll be doing yourself a favor.
Old 01-06-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jblackie
Surprised I see no mention of the first 2 seasons of Jeeves and Wooster with Laurie and Fry as Wodehouse's classic duo. Third season they went to America for many shows that I did not enjoy as much. If you can get your hands on these dvds, you'll be doing yourself a favor.
Well then here is my mention of it:
What I have and enjoy of British television:

Absolutely Fabulous: Complete DVD Collection
Black Books - The Complete Series 1 To 3
Complete Jeeves And Wooster
The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus
Disinformation: The Complete Series
French And Saunders Collection
The High Life - The Complete Series (1994) (well ok, not British, Scottish)
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (1981)
Neverwhere (1996)
The Office - The Christmas Specials (2003)
The Office: Complete 1st Series (2001)
The Office: The Complete 2nd Series (2002)
Randall And Hopkirk Deceased - The Complete First Series (2000)
Randall And Hopkirk Deceased - The Complete Second Series (2001)
Spaced - 3 Disc Collectors' Edition
The Tomorrow People Series 1 through 5 (1973-76)
Young Ones: Every Stoopid Episode (1982)

Also have on order 2 point 4 Children (Finally coming out on DVD!!! ).
Old 01-06-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got hooked on Brit TV when I lived there going to school. I had to buy a Region 2 player when I got back just to watch stuff. Some of my favorites

15 Storeys High - amazing, underrated show, get it, hilarious.
Spaced
Black Books
I'm Alan Partridge/Knowing me knowing you
Look Around You
Human Remains
Big Train - one of the best sketch comedy shows I've ever seen
Happiness - both series are amazing, great drama/comedy
Marion and Geoff - if this was released as a one man indie film it would be a major cult/critical hit. Great stuff, sad and funny
The Royle Family/Early Doors

I could go on and on really
Old 01-06-05, 10:18 AM

I'm not in Illinois My Grandfather is Texan though if that helps!

There is (and has been) some great TV here in the UK. But it's no different to the US ie over several decades there are only a few gems (most of the great stuff above is 30 years old). Most TV is shit here in my opinion. That though applies to France and everywhere else I visit/live. No matter how bad it seems here it always seems better that the mind-numbing trash forced on people in the USA. I guess the fact people in the UK must (or be fined/sent to jail) own a 'TV Licence' www.tvlicensing.co.uk) helps fund the BBC (not the other channels sadly). Even the blind must pay 50% of the TV licence or end up in court as a criminal.

I see a lot of BBC and Channel 4 stuff mentioned and it's worth visiting www.bbc.co.uk and www.channel4.co.uk as they can have specific areas for shows you may like. www.screenonline.org.uk is a great resource.

I think what should get a special mention is British TV drama including the "Television Play". There is just so much magnificent stuff out there. Sadly, not a lot on DVD.

The best stuff I've seen in the last few years is:

Still Game (BBC)
Little Britain (BBC) This will show much of the real Britian.

As for over the decades, the rest would include:

Edge of Darkness (magnificent series on BBC DVD)
Fawlty Towers
Minder (ITV/Thames)
Callan (ITV www.itv.co.uk )
Boys From The Blackstuff (BBC)
G.B.H. (Channel 4)
Porridge (BBC)
The Fragile Heart (Channel 4)
The Big Battalions (Channel 4)
Rising Damp

...and lots more.

I've not seen Spaced yet (have the discs here ready to go). I see Simon Pegg from that (and Shaun of The Dead) has a cameo (as a Zombie!) in George A. Romero's new Zombie film Land of the Dead

I gotta see that!
Old 01-06-05, 10:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hmm, talking about Brit TV, this brings up a topic about Nicheflix,in that I really wish they would be more aggressive in making some of the Region 2 'television show series' discs available for rental:

specifically:

- Little Britain
Old 01-06-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trigger
I also dug Shaun of the Dead, so I'm considering Spaced - except I'm not into sci-fi humor very much. If the humor relies on the sci-fi too much, I'm afraid I won't like it - however, if it's just funny that happens to be in a sci-fi setting I may enjoy it. Thoughts?
I think I may have mislead you. Spaced is a completely Earth-based sitcom about a guy and girl who pose as a couple in order to rent a cheap apartment and their interaction with their slightly eccentric friends, neighbors and landlord. The horror/sci-fi stuff I mentioned is that Tim (Simon Pegg aka Shaun from Shaun of the Dead) and his friend Mike (Nick Frost aka Ed from SOTD) are a couple of true scif-fi/horror/comic book/video game fanatics who incorporate their love for those genres into their daily lives, by inserting bits of dialogue from movies, or arguing over which superhero could beat up which superhero -- basically the same thing you probably do with your friends. It's fun to try and catch all the references being bandied about.

Think Kevin Smith's ViewAskew movies, only with intelligence and wit.
Old 01-06-05, 11:05 AM

Nicheflix,in that I really wish they would be more aggressive in making some of the Region 2 'television show series' discs available

Yeah, but no but yeah but, the bbc ain't in merka and and the BBC is for the englishers only and red indians and frenchie-canadians ain't englishers!

You seen any of the shows Giles? I have them here on DVD. Series 1 is now on DVD in a great set.

It's on TV all week
Old 01-06-05, 12:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel Windsor
Nicheflix,in that I really wish they would be more aggressive in making some of the Region 2 'television show series' discs available

Yeah, but no but yeah but, the bbc ain't in merka and and the BBC is for the englishers only and red indians and frenchie-canadians ain't englishers!

You seen any of the shows Giles? I have them here on DVD. Series 1 is now on DVD in a great set.

It's on TV all week
no I haven't, and with the current British pound to US Dollar rate, I have to curtail my spending on UK DVD's a lot. Pretty much everything I have heard and read about the show sounds like a riot, and I'd love to see it.
Old 01-06-05, 03:03 PM

You can pay in US$ from places like CDWow who have it for $17.95 shipped. Looks a good price for a 2-disc set.

I'm sure there's a coupon posted on this forum too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.