DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Best online store for R4 DVDs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/403686-best-online-store-r4-dvds.html)

RockStrongo 01-05-05 11:05 AM

Best online store for R4 DVDs

Anyone know of some good places to buy Australian DVDs (R4)?

Any with good coupons? fast shipping?

Any experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

marty888 01-05-05 11:20 AM

I've ordered many times from:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/

Every transaction has been flawless - shipped quickly, well packaged, etc. The prices shown include the Australian General Sales Tax (about 9%) and that amount will be removed once you register and sign in (so they know it's for export).

logboy 01-05-05 11:46 AM

yep, ezydvd is the only major australian one thats well known or regularly used as far as i know... ive used it once : good prices and service, shipping charges are low too..

enoque 01-05-05 12:03 PM

I like https://ssl.dvdcrave.com/ better. They have better prices and even better shipping than ezydvd. I usually get my order from them in a week to Los Angeles. Sometimes they have less selection is the only drawback.

DVDiano 01-05-05 12:36 PM

I also bought at www.ezydvd.com.au and they work like a charm. Good prices and fast delivery :up: . The only thing I don't like about them is the insurance fee they charge when you order certain big products (x-files, 24, tv sets...). The 2 X-files seasons I ordered from them were charged with an additional 25AU$ for the insurance fee.

bjackson 01-05-05 02:51 PM

www.sanity.com.au and www.hmv.com.au

squidget 01-05-05 04:51 PM

I've ordered from http://www.fbo.com.au/ about a year ago. I picked up the farscape boxsets from them, much cheaper than the ADV releases

chente 01-06-05 12:00 PM

I've recently ordered from ezydvd and was pleased with their service.

Skorp 01-06-05 01:04 PM

I've ordered a couple times from Empire DVD (www.empiredvd.com.au) and have been very happy with them.

cine 12-12-05 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by enoque
I like https://ssl.dvdcrave.com/ better. They have better prices and even better shipping than ezydvd. I usually get my order from them in a week to Los Angeles. Sometimes they have less selection is the only drawback.

Does DVDCrave charge your card when the order is placed or when it's shipped?

Squirrel God 12-12-05 10:33 PM

I used to use ezydvd.com.au and atlanticdvd.com.au quite regularly with no problems (only stopped using them due to the exchange rate rising) - as far as I know they're both big stores so you're money should be safe.

DVDude! 12-12-05 11:51 PM

Avoid planetdvd.com.au like the plague. Horrible customer service.

pro-bassoonist 12-13-05 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
...(only stopped using them due to the exchange rate rising) .

Right...and I am sure you are in love with the new rating-logos. :(

Ciao,
Pro-B

Squirrel God 12-13-05 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Right...and I am sure you are in love with the new rating-logos. :(

Ciao,
Pro-B

I'm surprised at you! You don't care about bi-lingual covers but you care about an oversized, cumbersome rating logo?

No, they're not very attractive, but if the disc is cheaper and I'm not missing out on any features then it won't stop me. But it's been a very long time indeed since Australian discs were cheaper compared to R1 or my own UK R2s...

murphy_wmm 12-13-05 05:57 PM

Ooooh now I can finally order Hal Hartley's TRUST on dvd! :D

Reservoir 12-14-05 12:16 AM

I can recommend both www.devoteddvd.com.au and www.dvdcrave.com

Both charge on shipping only but I'm sure you have the choice as to when they charge with DVDCrave.

pro-bassoonist 12-14-05 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
I'm surprised at you! You don't care about bi-lingual covers but you care about an oversized, cumbersome rating logo?

Many of the bi-lingual covers come double sided, so that solves the issue. For those that do not...I really do not care that much as you have the option of getting the US version to begin with. With R4 product...there are a lot of films that are limited to Australia only. But I have all but stopped shopping from them because the new logo is simply...bad!! With this said, believe it or not Australia is not such a poor region as the Aussies claim it to be...I have gotten some excellent releases from them...yet currently they are on the bottom of my region-list of places to shop.
:)

Ciao,
Pro-B

Brett 12-18-05 06:53 PM

I've used devoteddvd, dvdcrave, ezydvd and AtlanticDVD and have had good luck with all of them I recommend using www.dvdplaza.com.au to do price comparisons.

Bill Geiger 12-18-05 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brett
I recommend using www.dvdplaza.com.au to do price comparisons.

:up:

Fincher Fan 12-18-05 08:55 PM

With R4 product...there are a lot of films that are limited to Australia only. But I have all but stopped shopping from them because the new logo is simply...bad!!

Agreed... and I live in Australia!

wildeny 12-18-05 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Reservoir
I can recommend both www.devoteddvd.com.au and www.dvdcrave.com

Both charge on shipping only but I'm sure you have the choice as to when they charge with DVDCrave.

I'm thinking to try www.devoteddvd.com.au but for many times when I checked www.dvdplaza.com.au the stock was always unknown. :confused:

Bill Geiger 12-18-05 10:28 PM

Was just at dvdcrave and they have it listed the amount of dvds they have in stock for the item. Nice feature!

Hemulen 12-19-05 03:37 AM

With R4 product...there are a lot of films that are limited to Australia only. But I have all but stopped shopping from them because the new logo is simply...bad!! With this said, believe it or not Australia is not such a poor region as the Aussies claim it to be...I have gotten some excellent releases from them...yet currently they are on the bottom of my region-list of places to shop.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Hum... How can it be that big a deal? I mean, seriously - how much time do you really spend looking at the covers? ;)

Hemulen

[rant] ps. region 4 is in many instances as bad as is claimed - and not just by the ockers... There are any number of great films released in r4 - only be to ruined by being released as a bare-bones dvd5, panned and scanned, or, if very lucky, a panned and scanned dvd5 release. [/rant]

pro-bassoonist 12-19-05 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hemulen
Hum... How can it be that big a deal? I mean, seriously - how much time do you really spend looking at the covers? ;)

Very big deal for me!!

Believe it or not I really liked the Australian market. I've gotten some great films from down under (for example they offer the only English friendly print (tf1) of Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat). Unlike some of the Aussies on this forum who always rant against the R4 market I liked the fact that many times they would release films that no one else is touching. I love the Italian Film Fest series...no one else touches these films and if not for the Aussies there will be no English friendly versions on the market. I also like the Aussie shops a lot...the ones I've dealt with have been great!! So, I was about 99.9% percent a heavy promoter of their DVD market.

But these new logos...what in the hell...I am going to clear out about 14-15 titles that I have on my Aussie wish-list (probably in January/February) and then that's it. I am done!!

What I don't get is why not just come up with a sleeve of some sort that comes on top of the cover and spare the design? As I said, unless there is a film that I absolutely CAN NOT get in another region that should be it for me. I am willing to pay a few dollars more but get a nice looking cover. I want it all!!

Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
On top of everything else ALL of the Aussies I've known, and I've known a few, have been just, great, great, great, people!!

Hemulen 12-19-05 04:18 AM

Very big deal for me!!

Believe it or not I really liked the Australian market. I've gotten some great films from down under (for example they offer the only English friendly print (tf1) of Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat). Unlike some of the Aussies on this forum who always rant against the R4 market I liked the fact that many times they would release films that no one else is touching.

You think you've got it bad... just try buying a New Zealand release of a r4 recent release. NZ tends to get the same covers as the Australian releases. However, as New Zealand has its own ratings system we end up with the Australian logo and then the New Zealand rating sticker plastered just any old how on the cover - both front and back ;(

As for release of shame - recent examples:

Window to Paris: barebones/p&s
The Virgin Spring: barebones/p&s
Scenes From A Marriage: barebones/p&s
The Seventh Seal: barebones
Secret Of Roan Innish: barebones/p&s

(Lather, rinse, repeat...)

Hemulen

ps. I agree with you about "Black Cat, White Cat" though. Great film.