Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Good online stores for region *1* DVDs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

This is sort of a reverse of the perhaps "standard" interest here. I am in Japan at the moment, but I would like to buy some North American DVDs because DVDs here are so expensive, and in the case of Zatoichi, which I do want to buy, I won't be able to understand enough of the film without subtitles. Plus the Sonatine double-bill sounds like a very good buy.

Any suggestions on good online stores that ship outside of North America?

In the past I would be looking for a Canadian store (being Canadian) but the US$ being what it is, probably either Canadian or American is fine.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Try dvdsoon.com
Old 01-05-05, 02:15 PM

I buy Region 1 and Region 2 DVDs (being a fan of British TV more than Am TV). This is who I buy from, why, and ratings.

www.Amazon.co.uk -- I LOVE them! If you're looking for British TV, it's the place to shop. Prices are reasonable, selection is vast. And customer service can't be beat (I had a defective disk sent to me and I e-mailed the GENERAL service e-mail addy to find out what to do, such as mail back the disk or whatever. They mailed me a new copy, immediately, and I didn't even have to send back the defective one. I was thrilled!). US citizens do NOT have to pay British VAT (but the price listed includes VAT, so watch for the price to fall when you place your order). Postage is a bit pricey, but you can save yourself some bucks by ordering *several* titles at once, rather than one at a time.

www.amazon.com -- The US version of Amazon. I order *everything* from them, movies, books, TEXTbooks for school, music cds, you name it and they sell it. For DVD prices tend to be 1/3rd off retail (brick-and-morter) stores. I'd definately recommend it. (I don't know if they will send an order to Japan though).

www.deepdiscountDVD.com -- About half off retail, especially on older DVDs. They are fast and efficent, and the prices are unbeatable; BUT I've had quality problems, such as opened cases and even stratched DVDs, so I can't recommend them completely. BUT if you're looking for Region 1, and price is your main concern, give them a try.

Out of curiosity have you tried Amazon Canada? (I think it's www.amazon.ca.com)
I've never actually ordered from them, but it should be as reliable as any other Amazon retail store.

You also might want to try like Barnes and Noble or other major bookstore websites.
www.bandn.com (I think).

--Midwestern BritTV Fan
Old 01-06-05, 03:41 PM

try http://www.lasersedge.com/ they ship all over the world. Will use any shipping company you want, I think.
Old 01-06-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
cd-wow.com - free worldwide shipping and carries all regions.

also - I think yesasia has worldwide shipping.
Old 01-07-05, 05:01 AM

I buy nearly all of my r1 dvds at www.dvdsoon.com but be warned. They have great prices, but are really slow sending out the orders. The stock they have must be really low, so an order could take from 2 days to 3 weeks to be shipped from their warehouse.

I also buy from amazon.com, nothing wrong or specially good about this one, good prices and fast shipping/delivery.

Another option is www.cd-wow.com or any of his other domains. Good prices, great customer service and free shipping worldwide. Great shop.

The last one is www.playusa.com . Their prices are a bit high, but they also have free shipping. Good choice for the special offers and bargains.

And a word of advice about amazon.ca. Various people I know ordered some things from them with the cheapest shipping option available and the order took about a month to get to their hands. We live in Spain, so I don't know if the orders go faster to other countries. On the other hand, amazon.de or amazon.com orders usually take 6-10 days to arrive.

That's all about my r1 online buys.