Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen Chow Appreciation Thread - New and Improved*

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I started (and dominated) a Stephen Chow thread back in 2001 asking questions and the thread keeps getting bumped occasionally to this day (probably because it's referenced in the sticky Asain film FAQ thread)...

Anyway, I'd just like to start a new one with a more comprehensive list of his films. Kung Fu Hustle just got released in HK and we will soon all be able to see it on DVD (eventually anyway) and it will probably get a theatrical release in the US (I think). On top of that, Mei Ah is remastering and re-releasing many of their Stephen Chow catalog on DVD. It's a global Chow-mania! Ok, not really - but it's a good time for him. He gained alot of attention with Shaolin Soccer which hopefully means we may see better DVD releases for all his films. All For The Winner was finally released on DVD recently, so there's enough reason to celebrate. So please use this thread to discuss all things Stephen Chow. It's not a One and ONLY thread, so don't worry about making threads about movies he's in or whatever.

So following is a list of his films that are (or have been) available on DVD and/or VCD with English subtitles. I know because I have (nearly) all of them. The obvious exception is Kung Fu Hustle - but at least now this thread is ready for when the film comes out. The list is in more or less chronological order from newest to oldest.

Filmography:

Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin Soccer
The Tricky Master
The King of Comedy
The Lucky Guy
Lawyer Lawyer
All's Well, Ends Well 1997
God of Cookery
Forbidden City Cop
Sixty Million Dollar Man
Out of the Dark
From Beijing with Love
Hail the Judge
Love on Delivery
A Chinese Odyssey Part Two - Cinderella
A Chinese Odyssey Part One - Pandora
Mad Monk
Flirting Scholar
Fight Back to School III
All's Well, Ends Well
Royal Tramp
Royal Tramp II
Justice, My Foot
Fight Back to School II
King of Beggars
God of Gamblers II
Top Bet
God of Gamblers III: Back to Shanghai
Magnificent Scoundrels
Fight Back to School
Tricky Brains
Fist of Fury 1991
Triad Story
Legend of the Dragon
Lung Fung Restaurant
Look Out, Officer!
Love Is Love
When Fortune Smiles
My Hero
All for the Winner
Sleazy Dizzy
Curry and Pepper
The Unmatchable Match
Thunder Cops II
Tragic Heroes
Final Justice
Faithfully Yours

I may come back at some point and grade these if I have a SC marathon or something. It's been awhile since I've seen most of them though, so I don't want to guess what I thought of them.

Biography:
<small>mostly plagerized and paraphrased</small>

Chow Sing Chi - aka Stephen Chow
1962 - born in Hong Kong and grew up as the only boy with three sisters. Chow has talked about his poor upbringing and has mentioned that after a year of kung fu classes, he had to quit because his folks couldn't afford it. Regardless, he grows up to be a talented Wu Shu stylist and physical comedian. At times he has been referred to as the HK Jim Carey due to his expressive rubber-like face.
1982 - enrolls in Shaw Bros. TVB acting school after graduating High School
1983 - landed first gig hosting children's show "430 Space Shuttle" (ironically, he's reported to dislike children)
- meets Ng Man Tat (who later becomes his sidekick and co-stars in many of his films)
- meets Tony Leung
1987 - After some time as a television actor starring in comedies and dramas, he starred in Final Justice which earned him a coveted Golden Horse award for his acting talents. He put off his comedic talents to persue some serious work in action and dramatic films. He worked with the likes of John Woo and Jet Li.
1990 - Chow lands his first box-office success in All For the Winner - a spoof of the previous year's God of Gamblers starring Chow Yun Fat and directed by Wong Jing. Wong decided to hire Stephen Chow for the sequel to GOG after that. Working with Wong Jing, Stephen refined his style of comedy often referred to as 'nonsense comedy'. The cantonese term is 'moy len tau' which roughly translates to 'nine comes after eight, but eight has nothing to do with nine'.
1991 - Fight Back to School was the top grossing film in HK of all time (at the time) and Stephen continued to make spoofs of popular films as well as other comedies. He had his fair share of hits and flops over the next several years.
1997 - God of Cookery not only gave Chow notoriety as one of Asia's top stars, but also one of Asia's top writers, directors, and producers as well. Hollywood took notice and enlisted him to direct a Hollywood remake starring Jim Carey - he eventually backed out of it after becoming sick of Hollywood red tape.
2001 - Shaolin Soccer is HK's top grossing film of all time for a domestic product and Hollywood takes notice again - Miramax screws the US release up, but that didn't hurt his rise in international notoriety.
2004 - Kung Fu Hustle is completed after a long production period with the help of american hollywood funding by way of Columbia in the amount of 20 million USD.

God of Gamblers explained (by YellowHammer):

English Name ~+~ Chinese Name

1. God of Gamblers ~+~ God of Gamblers (CYF)
2. All for the Winner ~+~ Saint of Gamblers (Stephen Chow)
3. God of Gamblers II ~+~ Knight of Gamblers (Stephen Chow, Andy Lau, and CYF cameo)
4. God of Gamblers III - Back to Shanghai ~+~ Knight of Gamblers II (Stephen Chow)
5. God of Gamblers Return ~+~ God of Gamblers 2 (CYF)
6. Saint of Gamblers ~+~ Saint of Gamblers II (Eric Kot)
7. God of Gamblers 3 - The Early Years ~+~ God of Gamblers 3

Conman Knight of Gamblers 1999 (Andy Lau)
Conmen in Vegas Knight of Gamblers in Las Vegas (Andy Lau)
Conmen in Tokyo China Knight of Gamblers (Eric Koo)
My Name is Nobody Saint of Gamblers III (Nick Cheung)

Last edited by Trigger; 12-28-04 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First thing I want to ask is - how are the new Mei Ah remastered DVDs? If someone has one we can do a screenshot comparison since I have the old ones.
Old 12-28-04, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All for the Winner is OK - the DTS audio is quite aggressive, the picture is more than adequate. My washed-out color with terrible burnt-in Indonesian sub VCD can retire now, although not completely, since the English sub on DVD is not good either. There's a slight cut at the very end of movie, where Chow shook Cheung Man's hand.

I'm very keen on getting remastered Fight Back to School series and remaining GOG series (I've got the original with CYF), but I just haven't got the time.
Old 12-28-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All for the Winner is the only new Mei Ah release chow film I have. Let me know how Fight Back to School looks if you get it.
Old 12-28-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what do you think is his best movie?? i've only seen king of comedy and shaolin soccer...

what is a must see?
Old 12-28-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you should really see God of Cookery if anything. Out of the Dark is a must-see, but unfortunately - it's not available on DVD... well, it is, but without Chow's voice. Love on Delivery is friggin funny... There are others, but it's been awhile for me - so I'll let someone else answer.
Old 12-29-04, 03:21 AM

What I'm interested in getting now besides his comedic roles, are the titles where he wasn't famous yet. I believed he co-starred Danny Lee in one cop movie that I dont' remember the title, and also John Woo's Just Heroes? if I'm not mistaken. There's also another cop movie I forgot. They were definitely not his comedic roles - can anyone mention the title I meant? I wonder if the DVD exists.
Old 12-30-04, 02:26 AM

All for the Winner was not directed by Wong Jing. it was directed Jeff Lau and Corey Yuen.

and it's "Mo Lei Tau", not "Moy Len Tau".
Old 12-30-04, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tinlunlau
All for the Winner was not directed by Wong Jing. it was directed Jeff Lau and Corey Yuen.

and it's "Mo Lei Tau", not "Moy Len Tau".
I don't see where I said All For the Winner was directed by Wong Jing... I said the God of Gamblers movies.

and I understand it's acceptable both ways wrt M L T... your way is more widely accepted it seems, but I just went with the version that was on the site I lifted alot of that info from. Besides, it's too late to change it now.

and -
What I'm interested in getting now besides his comedic roles, are the titles where he wasn't famous yet. I believed he co-starred Danny Lee in one cop movie that I dont' remember the title, and also John Woo's Just Heroes? if I'm not mistaken. There's also another cop movie I forgot. They were definitely not his comedic roles - can anyone mention the title I meant? I wonder if the DVD exists.
John Woo's Tragic Heroes is on VHS in the US, but afaik the only appearance on DVD was in Japan without English subs. Final Justice is on DVD in HK - published by Universe Laser... it has English subs. Chow stars with Jacky Cheung in Curry & Pepper which is a buddy cop action movie with some humor in it... it's also on DVD by Universe with English subs. Thunder Cops 2 is an unrelated sequel to the first film and is a serious crappy cop movie until about halfway through when Chow saves it from being a complete disaster with some comedy - it's on DVD as well. Chow was even in a film with Jet Li that's kinda tough to find... haven't seen it.
Old 01-01-05, 04:10 AM

Stephen's films which he filmed with Metropolitan Films is being re-released on DVD completely remastered. the first to come is "Look Out, Officer" coming early 2005 by Mei Ah.
Old 01-01-05, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mei Ah has been remastering a bunch of his movies - is this a new list of films? Do you have a list of what's gonna come out or what films he did with metropolitan?
Old 01-01-05, 05:21 PM

Fight Back to School old + remaster comparison

I did a lot of research on this over the summer and found this site plus a few others stating the remasters are a big improvement

Old -
Full screen (1.33:1). Unfortunately a lot of these early Stephen Chow flicks are not getting the treatment they deserve on DVD as Mei Ah continue to churn them out without due care and attention. This is an average transfer with noticeable signs of print damage but the film quality and low price make it a worthwhile purchase.
Remaster-
Letterboxed print (at last!) which is a huge improvement on Mei Ah's previous effort in regards to picture quality. A lot of the damage has been removed and the colours are a lot stronger with improved clarity. Minimal grain is the one letdown but unsurprising for an H.K. film.
I think it mentions better subs too.
Old 01-11-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone buy the Shengchi [Taiwan] DVD from 2003? It's got Mandarin only so it would seem. How's the video/subs? I have a VCD and am thinking about picking this up. Or maybe someone could tell me if Mei Ah is going to release it.
Old 01-13-05, 06:35 PM

At Kungfu Hustle's premiere in Tokyo, a big dude (a famous japanese martial artist) came on stage as Stephen Chow was being interviewed and wanted to fight him because he said that the movie offended him and his martial arts group...
Old 01-14-05, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

whoa...
Old 01-14-05, 08:24 AM

gangster or gimmick?
Old 01-14-05, 11:40 AM

i saw the video clip...it was hilarious....
this japanese guy is apparently a famous Japanese wrestler who didn't like the fact that it's using the name of his cheerleading squad.Apparently, Stephen Chow looked surprised when this Japanese man approached the stage and thought it was all an act until his assistant told Stephen that this is for real. Stephen was forced to leave the stage and come back with a few words

Last edited by tinlunlau; 01-14-05 at 11:50 AM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 01-14-05, 11:53 AM

Might that video clip be online somewhere?
Old 01-14-05, 11:57 AM

links are down.... i do have it, though.
roughly around 7mB. i'll try to upload it somehow..
Old 01-14-05, 12:28 PM

That'd be awesome, thanks
Old 01-14-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to see it as well.
Old 01-15-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tinlunlau
links are down.... i do have it, though.
roughly around 7mB. i'll try to upload it somehow..
Would like to see it too..
Old 01-16-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is the wrestlers info.He is quite famous in Japan because of the Hustle chant
http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...?fighterID=307