Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kekexili: Mountain Patrol --- the best Chinese film of 2004!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently watched Kekexili: Mountain Patrol (China – 2004) and wanted to call it to the attention of those who might not have heard of it. With all the attention seemingly focused on “House of Flying Daggers” (thought it was good but not really close at all to the greatness of “Hero”), “2046” (haven’t seen this one yet), and assorted Hong Kong crime films, Kekexili seems to have been – in a sense – overlooked (given that there isn’t nearly as much discussion in regards to Kekexili as there is with other films).

However, Kekexili recently won the “Best Picture” and “Best Cinematography” awards at the 41st Golden Horse Awards (Chinese-language (China, HK, Taiwan) equivalent of the Oscars). The awards are a well-deserved achievement for a great – and certainly unforgettable - cinematic experience.

Following is a link for the Nixflix.com review which is pretty much in-line with my thoughts:
Kekexili review at Nixflix.com

I will add though that I wish the runtime were about 10 minutes (or even a little more) longer. The segment just prior to the very end felt a little rushed, and frankly I was so invested in my enjoyment of the film that I didn’t want it to end.

The film is available on DVD from Yesasia.com (search for “Mountain Patrol). There are two versions (from the same company) available. I purchased the $5.99 version but there is a 2-disc release that costs a little more (the 2-disc has as a bonus a making-of documentary if I recall correctly – don’t know if it’s English-subbed).

The DVD itself is pretty poor but does have selectable English subs and is OAR as far as my eye can tell. The English subs seems satisfactory but move a little on the fast side, plus the font isn’t the greatest (a little too large and the letters are spread out more than necessary). That said, there are a few issues that might be deal-breakers for some. There are burnt-in Chinese? subs on the film print – but they are pretty small and not too much of a distraction at all. Another issue is the GDFace logo that appears every so often (maybe every 10 minutes or sooner? – not really sure) during the film. The logo appears on the top right of the screen and moves across to settle in the top, left-hand corner of the screen, plus at the same time, another portion of the logo appears in the lower, right corner of the screen and moves diagonally across the screen to also settle in the top, left. The logo stays on screen a few seconds (maybe?) and then disappears. The transfer isn’t the greatest either, but I’m more movie-buff than A/V-phile so I can’t really share anymore on the technical aspects of the disc. All said and done – as a movie-lover – I'm quite pleased with the purchase. Again, the 1-disc release of the DVD is only $5.99 so until something better comes along (does anyone know of a better release on the horizon?) it was well worth it for me – can’t complain too much when the DVD is priced at the equivalent of a trip to the local burger joint.

Anyway, I’ll step down from the podium. I wouldn’t quite give Kekexili a 5/5 as did Nixflix.com but it’s pretty darned close and certainly one of the best films I’ve seen this year. I don’t know about eligibility and such, but if the option were available Kekexili – not “House of Flying Daggers” - should have been China’s official submission for Best Foreign Film Oscar consideration. I hope this post garners it some much-deserved attention and turns some on to a great film.

Last edited by flixtime; 12-22-04 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-26-04, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a very well made movie but the DVD is pretty bad. It's a poorly made non-anamorphic DVD from GD Face. Logo pops up every now and then. Well not only pops up but actually flies across the screen. Unfortunately I kinda found it distracting. I personally would wait for a better version as the cinematography and story deserve it. High quality movie, but low quality DVD.
Old 12-28-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's definitely surprisingly good, considering that government-sanctioned films on Tibet is as rare as they come. The fact that it portrays Tibetan cultures positively is even more unbelievable.

That said, it's certainly NOT the best Chinese film of 2004. It's nowhere the same calibre as Jia Zhangke's THE WORLD or Liu Hao's TWO GREAT SHEEP, not to talk about William Kwok's DARKNESS BRIDE.

And the DVD is not that bad at all, especially considering the price. Just think of it as a rental.
Old 01-21-05, 06:53 AM

Finally watched this last night and wanted to add my thumbs up. Yeah, the flying FACE logo is distracting, it's almost every five minutes, but the film is still so good that'd I say bear with it. I can't confirm it but the box does list it as 16:9. The one disc version also includes a 20 minute making of, along with trailers for World Without Thieves and 2046. The burned in subs didn't bother me, they were pretty tiny, and yes I agree that the regular subs are on the big-ish side and occasionally too fast. Not doubt with the awards it's been receiving Columbia Pictures the co-producer will eventually release a better version. It's screening in competition at Sundance, so if it does well there...

Some people didn't like it as much as I did but I found the director's first film, Missing Gun, quite entertaining. Stars Jiang Wen.

Check out Red Snow if you want to see another Chinese produced film in Tibet. Stars Karen Mok, it's a more traditional Hollywood-type disaster/action film set in the Tibetan mountains.

Last edited by dleedlee; 01-21-05 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-21-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
i'm not gonna buy any more gdface releases after the Hero "wooden" box.
Old 01-21-05, 07:25 PM

I just rented the movie from clubvcd.com and this is just such a great movie. It'll grab your attention within 10 minutes of the movies. Intense and just incredibly beautiful picture.
Old 01-28-05, 12:43 PM
Registered

Just saw this on the big screen at Sundance. It's an amazing film. I spoke to the director and he said 99% of the weather and such you see in the film was the way it was where they shot... no effects.

Columbia has the rights to this so look for it to come to US theaters.... It's a MUST SEE on the big screen
Old 09-04-05, 12:12 PM

Thought it was worth mentioning that Sony/Columbia has a recently released R3 DVD of Kekexili: optional subs, no more annoying GDFace logo, and a very nice anamorphic transfer. I suspect that it's the exact disc they'll be releasing in R1, as the packaging and menus are virtually identical to their US DVDs and even has some US-oriented trailers.
Old 09-04-05, 12:40 PM

Yeah, I need to pick this up. Its cheaper than the R1 will be, that's for sure.
Old 09-04-05, 01:35 PM
Cool New Member

Cosic Bus can you post a link to the Sony/Columbia release.
Old 09-04-05, 02:59 PM

I got mine from YesAsia.
Old 09-04-05, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

Ok...thanks. How are the subtitles? The face version ones went by to quickly in quite a few instances.