Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

is Arahan any good??

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

is Arahan any good??

Old 12-16-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Arahan any good??

titles says it all...

please keep in mind that i thought that Volcano High was a stupid goofy mess.

i've heard that the two are similar...if that's so, maybe i should stay away?
Old 12-16-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... here's one review that rates the movie "awesome"...

. . . . . .
Old 12-16-04, 09:37 PM

I loved it, but I also loved Volcano High and thought both were very similar.

if you didnt like that, you might not like Arahan
Old 12-16-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd rate Arahan as "awesome" also, I really enjoyed it. The overall story is, well, very simple and straight forward, but everything else totally makes up for where the story lacks, in my opinion.
Old 12-17-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm gonna have to go with awesome too. Haven't seen Volcano High, but Arahan is great fun and great action.
Old 12-17-04, 12:47 AM

I really really enjoyed Arahan.... thought it was tonnes better than Volcano High!

PLus, if you do buy it, buy the LE if you can
Old 12-17-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts
Well awesome is a bit much but Arahan was good fun. And I think Volcano High sucks camel nuts.
Old 12-17-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I liked both Arahan and Volcano High. If you hated VH, I'd suggest renting it from nicheflix if they have it.
Old 12-17-04, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought it was very good as well. I went into it blindly and was very surprised.
Old 12-17-04, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I opened this thread to add that it was a lot like Volcano High, but looks like everyone already knew that. I don't mind goofy, as long as it's intelligent goofy, like Save the Green Planet. I don't like mindless eye candy though like Volcano High or Arahan.
Old 12-17-04, 07:28 AM

I found 'Volcano High' to be very boring ... 'Arahan' however was a joy to watch, and considering the reactions the 200 people in the theatre I saw it with had a great time too
Old 12-17-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't impressed with Volcano High...Arahan is better than Volcano High, but that doesn't mean Arahan was good. It's just a fairly entertaining movie....not worth buying...
Old 12-17-04, 07:58 AM

Yea i didnt like vh that much either but i really like arahan. It is i say a mix of mainly vh but a mix of save the green planet.
Old 12-17-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't seen Volcano High but I thought Arahan was fun - not great, not particulary memorable - but fun nonetheless. I actually liked the first half better than the second where I felt the action scenes were overlong (and thus diminished in impact). The best fight scene was in the middle of the film. Plus if I recall correctly the second half felt a little rushed on plot and more dominated by the aforementioned too long action scenes. The film does have the "fun factor" going for it and a result some replay value so - though not an essential to Korean cinema - I'd recommend it as an addition to those with larger collections.
Old 12-17-04, 12:15 PM

Its Da Bomb (well its a good film ) and the Korean limited Editions a cracker baby!
Old 12-17-04, 12:20 PM

Oh god I really can't understand why so many people like this movie.

I really hated this movie. One of the worst films I have seen this year, the plot is extremely weak, and the action is very poorly done, not to mention cheesy nature of the whole film. Its a nice package and everything, but the movie is not worth what it its burnt on. I really can't reccomend you to stave away from this horrid piece of crap.
Old 12-17-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I persoanally liked Arahan as I had low expectations after the crap Volcano High.

It was much funnier plus So-yin Yoon was gorgeous!!!!
Old 12-17-04, 07:04 PM

ok, the movie has it's good points (one of them being the lead girl, damn fine, especially when she's wearing the white pants, aaaaaaah, form fitting!!!) but as for the movie itself, if you didn't like whasango, you'll REALLY not like arahan. whasango was cool for it's style, it's depiction of highschool, with the different gangs etc etc, and failed with the lame ass fight at the end (shooting weird fireballs at each other? wtf?). but with arahan, it's not only not good, but somewhat annoying. in the end fight, there's so many closeups of the actors like, screaming. it was retarded. the girl's hot, buy a calender of her, avoid the dvd of arahan.

Last edited by royalwithcheese; 12-17-04 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 08:58 PM

You have to get Arahan. Volcano High was okay, but it dragged on for too long. Arahan doesn't drag on. The fights are fun and the comedy is funny. Arahan is actually much better than Volcano High. They're similar in the way Dante's Peak and Volcano are similar, but not much else. The movie is a lot of fun and has a very high replay value.

If you liked martial arts HK movies from the 70s and 80s then you'll like this one.
Old 12-17-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i guess i'll have to rent it first...

my first impression is that i should stay away from it, based on a gut feeling, and royalwithcheese's comments echo that...

if its ANYTHING like volcano high, those that have recommended this title will PAY
Old 12-19-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Except that royalwithcheese stated:

if you didn't like whasango, you'll REALLY not like arahan.
Which is far from accurate if you read the other replies in this thread.
Old 12-20-04, 01:15 AM

don't compare what i said to the others, who's to say they're right and i'm wrong based on volume? it's all personal preference. let's just say the fighting is ridiculous in both movies in my opinion, but atleast in Whasango you had the nifty highschool gang theme, whereas in arahan, you just have a ridiculous amount of wire stunts coupled with random close ups of actors screaming, as if they're charging up like in dragon ball z...except not nearly as cool as in DBZ (which in itself, takes way too long also, but that's another issue)
Old 12-20-04, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by royalwithcheese
don't compare what i said to the others, who's to say they're right and i'm wrong based on volume? it's all personal preference.
Well if it's a matter of personal preference I don't see how you can make such a, shall we say "definitive" statement. But I guess I'm REALLY nitpicking.
Old 12-20-04, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by royalwithcheese
as if they're charging up like in dragon ball z...except not nearly as cool as in DBZ (which in itself, takes way too long also, but that's another issue)
Null and Void.
Old 12-20-04, 06:38 AM

Arahan is a great movie and I personally enjoyed it very much. I don't think it is too similar to Volcano High which I thought was an Awesome movie (though havent seen the extended edit yet) and my own preference would be to watch Volcano High again over Arahan.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.