DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Oldboy UE thread part two: The Revenge! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/400644-oldboy-ue-thread-part-two-revenge.html)

DrGerbil 01-05-05 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Joe1086
I just got the email from YesAsia. I sent an email to Starmax a month ago, and have received a response from them. Those who have already received their digipacks from Starmax, could you give me a description of the package it came in, and does it come through standard USPS?? Im in FL and I wont get back till the 10th, which is the final deadline, and I dont want to send another email to Starmax if I already received them. Im gonna call home and see if I received it.

Yes, the replacements arrived through usps in a small box 2 days ago.

Dexter Douglas 01-05-05 02:06 PM

I've looked through both threads for a referrence to this, so if there is and I missed it, I apologize. I was looking around dddhouse.com today (looking for Stephen Chow films to pick up) and I came across this version of Old Boy, and I haven't heard anthing about it.

Edko Old Boy

I haven't seen Old Boy yet and it sounds interesting, and the price is right, but after getting the Edko HOFD, I'm more than a little leery. Anybody hear about the quality?

eXcentris 01-05-05 02:49 PM

I just got the email from YesAsia. I sent an email to Starmax a month ago, and have received a response from them.

Hmmm, I also sent Starmax an e-mail a month ago but never got a reply from them. I sent them another one this morning as YesAsia suggested. I assume these e-mails are getting thru because they are not being bounced back to me. Did your e-mail have the subject title in english or in korean?

DrGerbil 01-05-05 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Hmmm, I also sent Starmax an e-mail a month ago but never got a reply from them. I sent them another one this morning as YesAsia suggested. I assume these e-mails are getting thru because they are not being bounced back to me. Did your e-mail have the subject title in english or in korean?

Just to let you know... I never received any confirmation from Starmax. You also need to have Korean Language Support installed on your machine (and preferably, a gmail account) in order for the email to reach them.

eXcentris 01-05-05 03:49 PM

I don't have Korean Language Support on my machine. This PC was sent to me from work already loaded so I don't have any of the software. What's gmail?

DrGerbil 01-05-05 03:54 PM

I don't have Korean Language Support on my machine. This PC was sent to me from work already loaded so I don't have any of the software. What's gmail?

These are instructions on how to get Korean Language Support on your pc:
Start --> Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options --> Languages (Tab) --> Install files for East Asian Languages
(it then prompts you for the Windows XP installation disk)

Gmail is a an email account that is readily able to bypass Starmax's spam filters. If you need one, let me know, as I have a few invitations left...

royalwithcheese 01-05-05 06:30 PM

more specifically, gmail is google email.

eXcentris 01-05-05 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
These are instructions on how to get Korean Language Support on your pc:
Start --> Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options --> Languages (Tab) --> Install files for East Asian Languages
(it then prompts you for the Windows XP installation disk)

Gmail is a an email account that is readily able to bypass Starmax's spam filters. If you need one, let me know, as I have a few invitations left...

As I stated previously, because this was a pre-loaded PC that was sent to me from work, I do not have the Windows XP installation disk...

So, if I sent you the info that Starmax has requested, would you mind sending them an e-mail on my behalf from one of your gmail accounts?

ehonauer 01-05-05 07:17 PM

I received my replacement digipacks and cardboard cover from Starmax. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how it happened. I ordered Oldboy from YesAsia and KoreanDVDs.com. I made replacement requests directly with Starmax, through YesAsia, and through KoreanDVDs. So now I'm not sure which request was honored. I still need additional replacement packs, not sure what to do.

Has anyone who ordered from KoreanDVDs.com received their replacement digipacks without contacting Starmax directly?

DrGerbil 01-05-05 07:27 PM

So, if I sent you the info that Starmax has requested, would you mind sending them an e-mail on my behalf from one of your gmail accounts?

I wouldn't mind at all.

eXcentris 01-05-05 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
I wouldn't mind at all.

I e-mailed you the information. Thanks a bunch!

Joe1086 01-05-05 08:01 PM

Just made a call home. Replacements still have not arrived. Im gonna wait a couple more days, then Im going to send another email to Starmax just in case.

RyoHazuki 01-05-05 09:46 PM

Off topic again: Just watched the movie. So incredibly awesome.

Sorry.

darmok 01-06-05 11:50 AM

i got that B*LLS*** email from Yesasia a few days ago also. WTF did they make us send them ALL that friggin' info, including pics, when all they ended up doing is make us resend the info the Starmax?? i forwarded all the info again, including Yesasia's email, to Starmax last night. i hope the info goes thru. if the message gets filtered out, will i get a receipt? i only sent it using my regular ISP email address, not googlemail (since i don't have one.)

ehonauer 01-06-05 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by darmok
i got that B*LLS*** email from Yesasia a few days ago also. WTF did they make us send them ALL that friggin' info, including pics, when all they ended up doing is make us resend the info the Starmax?? i forwarded all the info again, including Yesasia's email, to Starmax last night. i hope the info goes thru. if the message gets filtered out, will i get a receipt? i only sent it using my regular ISP email address, not googlemail (since i don't have one.)

Most people have reported getting non-delivery messages when their mail is rejected by the Starmax spam filter. Gmail is not necessary, you just need to use a reliable email provider like ATT or AOL - *not* hotmail, yahoo, or similar free email provider.

darmok 01-06-05 12:08 PM

okay, thanks, ehonauer!

reggio@pacific. 01-06-05 12:21 PM

i sent my email via gmail and it was delivered.

also, i received no spam and other emails which i previously received when i used my netscape mail...

thanks for the heads up people..

Joe1086 01-06-05 03:30 PM

Are the pictures necessary? I thought it was only when other digipacks were damaged, other than the movie and the two supplement discs.

DrGerbil 01-06-05 04:54 PM

Are the pictures necessary? I thought it was only when other digipacks were damaged, other than the movie and the two supplement discs.

Not at all necessary... likely, excessive. :)

Romerojpg 01-06-05 05:28 PM

The thing is what if StarMax dont get me my replacements? and dont get back to me about my Fooked up Tin!!!! who will then pay! YESASIA WILL WITH BLOOD! they piised me about fopr weeks and should ahve told me to contact starmax directly instead of sending me 2 emails asking me for details! they messed up I want there sodding blood! on my fists!

jomalley2001 01-06-05 09:06 PM

Bring a hammer :)

Andvil 01-07-05 12:27 AM

got my replacements today....I was starting to get worried

Lourdes 01-07-05 01:16 AM

Does anyone have access to both the FE and UE? I'd like to see some shots taken using the same setup to see if there's an actual transfer difference. I believe there is but one can't really tell as most shots are taken using different setups.

eXcentris 01-07-05 09:30 AM

Well I'll be darned! I got my replacements from starmax this morning. I guess the 1st e-mail I sent Starmax a month ago did go thru. :)

Dr. Gerbil, sorry for the hassle.

Joe1086 01-08-05 01:55 PM

Still havent gotten my replacements. Im very worried. I just sent another email to Starmax to beat the "final" deadline on monday. Its weird that I havent received them yet as they sent me various emails after my initial message. I really hope I dont get screwed here.

Trigger 01-08-05 01:57 PM

Hope my sleeve comes in... I didn't ask for replacements as the damage was minimal... wonder if they'll consider sending it to me.

Romerojpg 01-08-05 07:20 PM

I am gonna email gain right now! as I still havent heard anything at all, its a total joke! :(

Romerojpg 01-08-05 07:23 PM

got this crap message this time!!!!!!!

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
[email protected]

wont mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

royalwithcheese 01-08-05 09:18 PM

did you guys ever get ahold of starmax? this sucks...i have not one, but TWO roughed up copies!!! (don't ask why...) anyway, i just sent them another email, hopefully it reaches them. Oh, and did anybody end up having to send back the damaged digipaks in order to receive the new ones?

DrGerbil 01-08-05 09:23 PM

Never had to send anything, nor did I ever hear back from Starmax... the replacement cases just arrived at my door.

Njål 01-09-05 08:41 AM

I emailed the information to Starmax yesterday (same I'd already sent to YesAsia), with pictures of the damage added. Have neither received a reply, nor a 'bounce'-message.
I tried to send the same message to YesAsia as a sort of backup, but all the email adresses they've used re this issue are now 'no reply'-adresses, including the one I was asked to use when they first sent out emails regarding this.
I ended up leaving a message on their online customer support page saying I didn't think they'd handled this very well.

Romerojpg 01-09-05 01:52 PM

I just hope Yeasia does something for people who dont get replacments :( as for me its 100% there fault this has happened to us, as its there job not ours really, fingers crossed we all get them.

Daniel Windsor 01-09-05 05:29 PM

Just posted this over at the main DVD forum:

For those on a tight budget you can get the new DTS NTSC Hong Kong Region 3 for around US$14 shipped from here

bluesparrow 01-10-05 01:05 PM

How's the PQ compare on the HK disc?

movieking 01-10-05 01:30 PM

I emailed YesAsia as well as StarMax. Nothing bounced.

Joe1086 01-10-05 06:04 PM

I got back from Florida today. As I walk in the door, I see the package from Starmax on my couch. Thank God! I did not want to be worrying about this for another month.

WillyShatsWig 01-10-05 06:05 PM

We have full details, and shots of the front and back cover art, for the February 21st release of the 2-disc UK Old Boy Special Edition here.

Old Boy will come housed in a 2-disc Special Edition set, and will be presented with an anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen transfer, and both Dolby Digital-EX 6.1 and DTS-ES 6.1 Korean auido tracks.

Extra features (all English subbed where needed) on the first disc will include a director's audio commentary; a director and cinematographer's audio commentary; a director and cast audio commentary; a fourth commentary by film critic Kim Yong Jin; a UK exclusive interview with Park Chan-Wook; and both UK and Korean trailers.

The second disc includes 2 making-of documentaries; 9 deleted scenes (with optional commentaries); another interview with Park Chan-Wook; cast & crew interviews; footage from the Cannes Film Festival; and a short film entitled Memory Of Old Boy.
The article also has the covers for the upcoming Sympathy For Mr Vengeance Collector's Edition

ehonauer 01-11-05 09:39 AM

I received an email from KoreanDVDs that Starmax is sending out another batch of digipack replacements on January 12th.

In other related Oldboy news, the film is playing the Sundance Film Festival at the end of January, which should raise its US profile considerably. Oldboy has a US release date of March 25th (per IMDB).

royalwithcheese 01-11-05 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=ehonauer]I received an email from KoreanDVDs that Starmax is sending out another batch of digipack replacements on January 12th.QUOTE]

really? i just emailed them, and got a response saying that i emailed them too late, and they were only considering replacement digipaks from before december 20th, damn them!!!!!! anybody know what i can do, or where i can go to get an undamaged copy of this UE still?

darmok 01-11-05 03:21 PM

that can't be right, because Yesasia was "handling" the problem for us up until the first week of January.