DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Oldboy UE thread part two: The Revenge! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/400644-oldboy-ue-thread-part-two-revenge.html)

Brent L 12-16-04 10:22 AM

You know more about it than I do, so let me know if I missed any very important information.

ehonauer 12-16-04 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
You know more about it than I do, so let me know if I missed any very important information.

Some important info, if you want to send the Korean subject line to Starmax.

To get Korean language support:
Start --> Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options --> Languages (Tab) --> Install files for East Asian Languages
(it then prompts you for the Windows XP installation disk)
-DrGerbil

You should also note that some retailers like KoreanDVDs and YesAsia are coordinating replacements with consumers, so there shouldn't be a need to directly contact Starmax if you've purchased from them.

DrGerbil 12-16-04 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ehonauer
Some important info, if you want to send the Korean subject line to Starmax.

You should also note that some retailers like KoreanDVDs and YesAsia are coordinating replacements with consumers, so there shouldn't be a need to directly contact Starmax if you've purchased from them.

Start --> Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options --> Languages (Tab) --> Install files for East Asian Languages
-DrGerbil

If anyone is having issues sending the message after following all those instructions, it may have to do with the email account you are using and how it is configured. Gmail works best for this situation, so if anyone needs an account, let me know. :)

profbobo 12-18-04 12:04 PM

I definitely waited too long to order on this one and placed my order with KoreanDVDs today ... am I just SOL on the cases? Not horribly concerned, but it would be nice to know if I could send them a request under the assumption that my cases would be damaged. Thanks!

DrGerbil 12-20-04 04:42 AM

Received 12/20 4:42 AM:

Dear Valued Customer,

Further to our previous email dated Dec 7, 2004 regarding the replacement of DVD keepcase for Disc 1 and Disc 2 of "Old boy Ultimate Edition", we would like to inform you that as required by Starmex, Korea, it is necessary for you to notify us on the serial number being printed in the original DVD case so that they can arrange to deliver the replacement case with the same serial number. Besides, also according the request from Starmex, Korea, you are kindly requested to provide us with your contact number for their reference and record. Please kindly reply on or before Dec 22, 2004 by filling in the blank space at the bottom of this email so that Starmex, Korea will be able to send out the replacement cases as soon as possible. If Starmex, Korea does not receive your reply by Dec 22, 2004, they will assume that no replacement case is required.

Regarding the other kinds of defects other than a damaged keepcase for Disc 1 and Disc 2, Starmex, Korea does not guarantee that they will be able to provide replacement at the moment. However, our responsible colleagues will be monitoring closely on the relevant issue and we will keep you informed once we have any feedback from Starmex, Korea.

Please kindly accept our sincere apology for this unexpected incident. Should you have any further inquiry or comment regarding this item, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

For better service, please include this email when you reply.

Yours sincerely,
Customer Service Department
YesAsia.com, Inc.
Within US & Canada: (888) 716-5753 (US toll-free number) Outside US & Canada: (852) 2522 1227(Hong Kong number)

Reply: Order No. :3439053 23-Aug-04
Serial number :
Contact Number :

DrGerbil 12-20-04 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
we would like to inform you that as required by Starmex, Korea, it is necessary for you to notify us on the serial number being printed in the original DVD case so that they can arrange to deliver the replacement case with the same serial number.

That part is perplexing... does it mean Starmax are going to send us a duplicate copper case in addition to the replacement keepcases? I can only assume that was a mistake on the part of Yesasia (LIT, perhaps).

sofdec 12-20-04 05:19 AM

Definately sounds like an error on Yesasia's end (Most likely due to the fact starmax probably asked Yesasia for Serial #'s to 'verify' or something).

On another note, its already Dec. 20 and I havent heard back from Starmax :(

has anyone who sent them an (english titled) email receive any responce?

Trigger 12-20-04 05:25 AM

I don't have my set yet... if it doesn't come today, I don't know what to do. Do you think I'm screwed?

DrGerbil 12-20-04 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by sofdec
Definately sounds like an error on Yesasia's end (Most likely due to the fact starmax probably asked Yesasia for Serial #'s to 'verify' or something).

On another note, its already Dec. 20 and I havent heard back from Starmax :(

has anyone who sent them an (english titled) email receive any responce?

Nope.... not even a form letter! I'm assuming Starmax will ignore all requests that are not entirely in Korean; instead dealing with the retailers themselves.

DrGerbil 12-20-04 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
I don't have my set yet... if it doesn't come today, I don't know what to do. Do you think I'm screwed?

Not necessarily, but I would get in contact with the retailer you purchased it from immediately and ask 'em what your options are...

sofdec 12-20-04 06:17 AM

Well thats a disappointment if that happens (I bought this set from a local store and I doubt they'd contact wherever they got it from to contact starmax).

I just resent a letter with the korean text (Although I dont know if I'd call it 'korean'. it was: ¿Ãµåº¸ÀÌUE µðÁöÆÑ ±³È¯½Åû )

hoping to hear back.

Both times I included all the information, so I'm hoping thats why they havent gotten back (Because they have everything). It would be nice to receive a confirmation though.

Again, mine isnt that messed up, but if theyre doing replacements anyways, it would be nice to get one.

uvalaw2005 12-20-04 08:38 AM

I just resent a letter with the korean text (Although I dont know if I'd call it 'korean'. it was: ¿Ãµåº¸ÀÌUE µðÁöÆÑ ±³È¯½Åû )

I did the same thing ;-)

I just ordered it from theDVDetective's latest restock, but he was good enough to send me the serial number so I could get my request in by today. Great service over there.

ehonauer 12-20-04 09:44 AM

Well thats a disappointment if that happens (I bought this set from a local store and I doubt they'd contact wherever they got it from to contact starmax).

hoping to hear back.

Both times I included all the information, so I'm hoping thats why they havent gotten back (Because they have everything). It would be nice to receive a confirmation though.

Again, mine isnt that messed up, but if theyre doing replacements anyways, it would be nice to get one.

I don't believe you're sending Korean text if you're showing the "nonsense characters". You have to have Korean fonts installed on your PC to view Korean characters. Starmax has a pretty strong spam filter, and it may reject all emails with non-Korean text in the subject. See my next post below for detailed instructions. The best bet is to work through your retailer if possible, although that doesn't sound like an option in your case. KoreanDVDs and YesAsia have been a lot more responsive to inquiries than Starmax.

It sounds like Starmax is still in the process of collecting additional contact info (serial numbers, phone numbers) so there still might be some hope for those who expect to receive their set this week. I have to assume Starmax is asking for serial numbers so that they can reconcile the duplicate requests they must be receiving (requests sent directly to Starmax and requests forwarded from retailers).

Funny story about my order from KoreanDVDs.com - I placed another order at the last minute, and it didn't ship until the 17th via EMS. I gave up hope on making the 12/20 deadline to report damage. I got in late last night (12/19), near 11PM. I found a note in my mailbox from a delivery attempt. It said I could pick it up at the main post office until midnight(!).

So I headed over to the post office. KoreanDVDs had actually opened the set and placed bubble wrap inside the copper case, but there was still some damage to the digipacks. When I got home, I sent them an email. At this point it was around 2pm on 12/20 in Korea. I emailed KoreanDVDs and they said they'd add my name to the list. Talk about down to the wire!

It looks like KoreanDVDs is doing a first in-last out method on the Oldboy UE. The one I received last night is serial number 0284. I think that's the lowest number I've seen so far, and the one BuddhaWake received on 12/14 was #1310. So if you want a low serial number, try ordering from KoreanDVDs.com. NOW! I'd be surprised if these stayed in stock past New Year's.

ehonauer 12-20-04 10:04 AM

Follow up on the email subject line: To successfully accomplish this, you have to install Korean fonts, and copy the Korean characters. THE KOREAN SUBJECT LINE HAS NOT BEEN POSTED YET IN THIS THREAD. Brent didn't have Korean characters on his computer when he created the thread, so that gobbledy-gook you see really is gobbledy-gook.

I'm going to post the Korean characters again:

올드보이UE 디지팩 교환신청

If you see the above as Korean characters, you can copy and paste it as the subject of your email to Starmax. Otherwise, don't bother.

To see the Korean characters on Windows XP:

In Internet Explorer, go to View -> Encoding -> More -> Korean.
Refresh this page, and you should see the Korean characters.

Make sure you send the email from a "real" email provider - ATT, gmail, etc. - not yahoo or hotmail. Include your name, address, phone number, and Oldboy serial number.

Starmax is still gathering info on replacement requests, so there may be time to send a request. Again, if you're working through your retailer, it's probably not necessary to send a duplicate request to Starmax. Deal with Starmax directly if your retailer won't/can't contact them for you.

darmok 12-20-04 11:19 AM

i got that same message this morning from Yesasia. what do they mean by asking for the serial number?? the only thing damaged were the paper digipak trays #1 and #2 (movie and supplement one), and they don't contain any serial numbers. unless they mean a serial number from the tin box, but how that applies to replacing the digipak trays, i'm confused now.

BuddhaWake 12-20-04 11:35 AM

they probably were confused as to what the actual damage was (for everyone) or probably were confused as to what was being requested from starmax so they added the two issues together and got that confusing mess.

ehonauer 12-20-04 11:47 AM

They're asking for the serial number of your UE, the one stamped in the copper case.

I assume Starmax is asking for this information to avoid duplicate requests - there's only one UE #1799, and Starmax is going to send one set of replacement digipacks for that serial number.

YesAsia confused everybody by saying the serial number is on the digipack.

uvalaw2005 12-20-04 01:43 PM

올드보이UE 디지팩 교환신청

You are a God among men. Thanks so much for doing this.

sofdec 12-20-04 02:00 PM

Yeah, thanks a bunch, I just sent them an email with that subject so hopefully if it hasent gone through in the past, it will now.

fourizonly 12-20-04 02:34 PM

So, if I don't write the subject line in Korean they won't send a reply?

DVDFever 12-20-04 03:16 PM

What do they mean with starmax contact number? I dont have a contact number with them, i sent them an email last week with the replacement form but never received a reply.

DrGerbil 12-20-04 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DVDFever
What do they mean with starmax contact number? I dont have a contact number with them, i sent them an email last week with the replacement form but never received a reply.

I assume they mean a telephone number where you can be reached...

ehonauer 12-20-04 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by fourizonly
So, if I don't write the subject line in Korean they won't send a reply?

Starmax doesn't send replies to replacement requests, even to ones that go through, unless you ask a specific question. I sent a question via email with an English subject line, no response. I figured out the Korean characters thing, sent the Korean subject line and the message in English, and received a message back in English. If you're already dealing with your retailer, don't send a message to Starmax. I think that'll just add more work on Starmax's part to figure out which requests are duplicate.

Originally Posted by DVDFever

I think they mean YOUR phone number. A number that Starmax can contact you at (which I doubt they would ever do).

flashburn 12-20-04 04:34 PM

Follow up on the email subject line: To successfully accomplish this, you have to install Korean fonts, and copy the Korean characters. THE KOREAN SUBJECT LINE HAS NOT BEEN POSTED YET IN THIS THREAD. Brent didn't have Korean characters on his computer when he created the thread, so that gobbledy-gook you see really is gobbledy-gook.

올드보이UE 디지팩 교환신청

If you see the above as Korean characters, you can copy and paste it as the subject of your email to Starmax. Otherwise, don't bother.

To see the Korean characters on Windows XP:

In Internet Explorer, go to View -> Encoding -> More -> Korean.
Refresh this page, and you should see the Korean characters.

Make sure you send the email from a "real" email provider - ATT, gmail, etc. - not yahoo or hotmail. Include your name, address, phone number, and Oldboy serial number.

Starmax is still gathering info on replacement requests, so there may be time to send a request. Again, if you're working through your retailer, it's probably not necessary to send a duplicate request to Starmax. Deal with Starmax directly if your retailer won't/can't contact them for you.

Any idea how I get the Korean font in Outlook 2003? For some reason the subject line shows up as ?????, but if I enter it in the actual email, it shows up as 올드보이UE 디지팩 교환신청.

DVDFever 12-20-04 05:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys i filled in my phone number but i wasnt really sure it was the right thing.

Its off to waiting now then...