Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fallen Angels: new R1 Kino DVD vs. the R4 Áccent DVD...Which one is better?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the old Kino DVD of Fallen Angels that was released a couple years back. I want to have a better presentation of this film on DVD. However, I don't know which DVD to purchase. On the one hand, I have heard good things about the R4 disc. On the other hand, I have only seen one review of the new R1 Kino disc. The review was favorable, but I still want more evidence as to the disc's quality. Which do you prefer? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 12-03-04, 07:49 PM

one more question

Also, what is the OAR of Fallen Angels? The R4 disc presents the film at 1.78:1, whereas the new Kino disc presents the film at 1.85:1. Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 12-04-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked Gary at DVDBeaver to try and add the new Kino Fallen Angels to his existing comparison thread. He said the he would try to get to it soon. I'm trying to figure this out myself.
Old 12-05-04, 06:32 AM

The Accent r4 is sharper than the Kino r1.

http://www.kfccinema.com/temple/view...=fallen+angels
Old 12-05-04, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the link, wuken!
Old 12-05-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sticking with the Kino, since I do want the other movies in the box too.
Old 12-10-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDBeaver confirms that the Accent version is still the best one. I just ordered it.
Old 12-10-04, 02:11 PM

good stuff

Originally Posted by chente
DVDBeaver confirms that the Accent version is still the best one. I just ordered it.
Yes, I viewed the updated comparison page last night. I went ahead and ordered the R4 disc earlier this week. Hence, I am glad that dvdbeaver now confirms the superiority of said disc. I cannot wait to receive the disc in the mail. This disc, coupled with my recent purchase of 2046, will make for a pleasurable viewing experience next week.
Old 12-12-04, 04:13 AM

Can anyone recommend a reliable retailer for the R4 disc? Also, what about the aspect ratio issue mentioned earlier in this thread?

Edit: Oops, found the link to DVD Crave in the linked thread. I'm still curious about the aspect ratio, though.

Last edited by bobstevens; 12-12-04 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-12-04, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by bobstevens
I'm still curious about the aspect ratio, though.
It seems as though the OAR is 1.78:1. Both the Áccent disc and the new Kino disc present the film at 1.78:1. I previously mentioned that the new Kino disc presented the film at 1.85:1. However, I got this information from Kino's web site. Thus, the person who specified this information on that web page is probably mistaken. This is so because dvdbeaver et al have stated that the actual aspect ratio of the new Kino disc is in fact 1.78:1. If you compare dvdbeaver's screen captures of the Áccent disc with those of the new Kino disc, you will notice that both discs present the film -- for all intents and purposes -- with the exact same framing.

Still, dvdbeaver does not specify that 1.78:1 is the OAR. When an aspect ratio is the original, dvdbeaver usually lists it as such. For Fallen Angels, the web page at dvdbeaver.com merely states "Widescreen anamorphic - 1.78:1," as opposed to "1.78:1 Original Aspect Ratio 16X9 enhanced." All in all, one can safely say two things: 1) the OAR is most likely 1.78:1 (other DVD presentations like the old Kino disc feature an aspect ratio that appears distorted and incorrect); and 2) the two best DVD presentations currently available showcase the film at 1.78:1, so we fans really do not have a choice.