Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm probably not the best to give my final word on this. I can tell between "Good" and "Bad", but thats about where the line gets drawn with me

I havent had a chance to watch it yet (Honestly, I have a stack of about 150 DVDs I havent gotten to yet ) slowly working through them, so it might be a week or two before I get to it.

With that said though, just looking through a few chapters, it looks real good. Some parts (like objects in the background) look a little blurry, but I really cant tell if its the DVD or if thats the way it was filmed.

I also cant tell if the movie was filmed in a dark-toned way and this is how its supposed to look. At this point though, I'm just being real picky.

With all that said, this is the best looking Mei-AH DVD I've seen, and I'm not disappointed at all.
The subtitles also seem to be perfect from what I watched.
Old 12-15-04, 11:10 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by sofdec
With all that said, this is the best looking Mei-AH DVD I've seen, and I'm not disappointed at all.
The subtitles also seem to be perfect from what I watched.
That's good news.

At the price and considering it's from Mei-Ah, I don't expect perfection, just watchable on a big screen. Thanks.
Old 12-17-04, 02:39 AM

saw this movie last night and while i liked the majority of it, i find Faye Wong's "Little Miss Roboto" act a little....boring. and there's way too much Zhang Ziyi in this movie.
Old 12-17-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've just about finished watching the movie. While the English subtitles are not perfect they more than get the job done. No DTS track is present that I could find.

This is a very multi-lingual film. Cantonese, Mandarin, and Japanese are all mixed together.

There is a lot of Ziyi Zhang in the picture, but I'm not complaining. That girl must be quite busy, though. Next year she'll appear in the new Seijun Suzuki film, Raccoon Princess (a musical comedy, by the looks of the trailer), as well as Rob Marshall's Memoirs of a Geisha and My Wife Is a Gangster 3.

The movie is quite slow but then so was In the Mood for Love. This seems like a good albeit somewhat strange companion piece to that film.

Jamie S. Rich: I was surprised to see your name here. I remember you from the Grendel lettercols of yesteryear.

-- Ralph Jenkins
Old 12-18-04, 04:09 AM

one thing i'm certain about is, i loved the black and white shots you see with Tony Leung sleeping with Zhang Ziyi in the car. and then that same black and white shot except with Maggie Cheung.

odd cameo considering some of these cameos don't have any dialogue.
Old 12-18-04, 10:27 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
Jamie S. Rich: I was surprised to see your name here. I remember you from the Grendel lettercols of yesteryear.
There's something wrong with you, sir!
Old 12-19-04, 03:00 AM
Cool New Member

Saw the movie and 40 minutes into the movie, the projection went out of frame. After the show, I demanded for a refund and got a free screening on my next show. Anyway, a month later, the DVD surfaced in the stores. Bought the Face Video version because the shop refused to show me a demo. Well, the DVD was pretty cheap for an original. But I sold it off the next day after finding out that the picture quality was horrible! Plus the stupid logo that popped out every now and then.

Just orderd the Mei Ah's limited edition and hope the quality is better.
Old 12-19-04, 03:54 AM

I take it you liked the actual movie then, which is good to hear (I've been hearing mixed reviews with a lot of negatives lately - I plan to watch it tomorrow hopefully)

The quality from what I checked is pretty good (Especially for a Mei Ah), and if its a typical "FACE" DVD, this one is MUCH Better.
Old 01-01-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I really liked this film. It was excessively long, but not a wasted frame IMO. I wasn't sure if the ending would be there as I'm often disappointed with WKW endings, but this one was perfect. I liked it better than In the Mood for Love.

The Mei Ah DVD is good - get it.
Old 01-10-05, 05:02 PM

If anyone's gotten the 2-disc LE version for this, can you mention how the special features are and whether they're subtitled?
Old 01-11-05, 07:50 AM
Cool New Member

For the Mei Ah's 2-Disc LE, I find that the extras are pretty weak. Two trailers, self-playing photo gallery, one making of, two music videos using the scenes from the movie, and a Zhang Ziyi video montage. The making of has English subtitles.
Old 01-11-05, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by AT71
For the Mei Ah's 2-Disc LE, I find that the extras are pretty weak. Two trailers, self-playing photo gallery, one making of, two music videos using the scenes from the movie, and a Zhang Ziyi video montage. The making of has English subtitles.
While I don't think I'd mind seeing a Zhang Ziyi video montage, I'm satisfied that I decided not to spring for the 2-Disc. I received my 1-Disc yesterday and am very pleased with the film (and the DVD), although I've only watched it once so far.
Old 02-09-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by budster7
If anyone's gotten the 2-disc LE version for this, can you mention how the special features are and whether they're subtitled?
The disc isn't "loaded", but what is on there is nice. And, yes, they're subtitled. There's a great "making of" that's over 30 minutes long I think. They talk to WKW and just about every actor involved. For me the "making of" was helpful in understanding the story, because I can't lie, the movie was a little hard to follow. Even after WKW and all the actors explaining the story, I'm still a little confused about what was going on.
Old 02-10-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I never thought I'd say this, but too much Zhang Ziyi....

Anyhow, the movie is good. But not on the level of ITMFL or worth the 4 year wait IMO.
Old 02-11-05, 06:41 AM

You can still get the LE from GLOBAL yesasia

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...section-music/
Old 02-11-05, 10:37 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I never thought I'd say this, but too much Zhang Ziyi....

Anyhow, the movie is good. But not on the level of ITMFL or worth the 4 year wait IMO.
You are blatently a homosexual

Does anyone know if Criterion will be releasing a dvd like they did with ITMFL?
Old 02-11-05, 03:26 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, you can never have too much Zhang Ziyi.

Good movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. And the transfer on the LE was indeed quite sharp and well done. I was impressed with the quality.
Old 02-12-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

too much Ziyi!? Is that really possible!

Actually, I thought she wasn't in it enough. She's only in about 1/2 the film, if that.
Old 02-13-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe a dumb question, but is the Mei-AH version "official"? I've never bought a foreign dvd, so I guess I'm a bit hesitant to buy it. Is HKFlix.com reliable?
Also, is there any news yet on a Region 1 release?
Old 02-13-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mei Ah is an official company. HKFlix is reliable. they dont sell boots.

Sony Pictures Classics has the rights for the US but no date has been set.

www.2046themovie.com is now a domain held by SPC America.
Old 02-13-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
HKFlix is reliable.
Were you being sarcastic? HKFlix is the single most inconsistent retailer on the internet!
Old 02-16-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess 'reliable' wasnt my best choice of words.
maybe i should have said 'legitimate'
Old 02-16-05, 09:19 AM

maybe i should have said 'legitimate'
Unfortunately, they sell quite a few bootlegs on that site.
Old 02-16-05, 09:48 PM

just saw this movie and it was way too long. It was also very slow but there were parts that got my attention....
Old 02-25-05, 09:01 AM

What's the main difference between the extras on the 1 and 2 disc versions?
Is it the postcards, trailers and a longer 'making of'? Because the single disc does have a Making Of, correct? I assume it's just a much briefer version than the one on the 2-disc. Or am I mistaken?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.