Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Infernal Affairs Trilogy Boxset

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Infernal Affairs Trilogy Boxset

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Am I missing anything by buying these separately? Are the other discs/extras worth the content?
The 2nd disc on the HK releases don't have any English subtitles, so unless you understand Cantonese, you're not missing much not having them.

It doesn't appear that they accept paypal.
It's doubtful that many of the places that sell them will take paypal.

HK Flix has the HK discs and take paypal, but you'll be paying at least $3 more per movie there, plus shipping.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
Old 02-19-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by The Running Man
Just to let everyone know here, the 5 hour edit of the trilogy is not worth going all out of your way for.

It's a crudely edited version of all five films and not worth the effort to even see it really.

I bought this set when it was first released and still have not made my way to viewing the 5hr cut.
Old 02-19-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
How crudely edited? Does the music get cut off abruptly during scene changes or something?
Basically, all that was done was that scenes from the 3 movies were strung together in chronological order, regardless of how this affects the way that information was previously revealed to us.

For example, there are scenes in Infernal Affairs 3 that were designed as flashbacks and have text on screen reading "2 Days Before xxx Dies" or similar. Since you already knew that the character died at the end of a previous movie, that wasn't a spoiler. But now the "flashback" happens first and tells you that the character is going to die much later in the movie.
Old 02-19-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This still holds as the best edition out there:

Originally Posted by xage
Its th 8disc #d out of 3000 Media Asia Limited Edition

Old 02-20-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xage
This still holds as the best edition out there:
I just sold mine. I was trying to save space. I got the DD set, and was very disappointed to find out the IA1 was the same Miramax release. I am now selling that, and getting the 6-disc box set from DDDhouse.
Old 02-20-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by roseart
I just sold mine. I was trying to save space. I got the DD set, and was very disappointed to find out the IA1 was the same Miramax release. I am now selling that, and getting the 6-disc box set from DDDhouse.
How's the Miramax release different than the original? I just read a couple of reviews here and they didn't mention any problems. I too ordered the dragon dynasty set. I do have the HK 2 disc special edition of the original so I guess I can stick with that if the DD version is editied.
Old 02-20-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ytrez
How's the Miramax release different than the original? I just read a couple of reviews here and they didn't mention any problems. I too ordered the dragon dynasty set. I do have the HK 2 disc special edition of the original so I guess I can stick with that if the DD version is editied.
The Miramax release isn't edited, it's the original HK cut of the film. You do lose the option of watching the film with the alternate ending, but the alternate ending's available to watch as an extra, and I've never heard of anyone preferring the alternate ending, so it's no big loss.

The subtitles also appear to be fine on the Miramax release from the reviews I've read, plus the commentary tracks and extras are subtitled.

So really, the only negative aspects of the Miramax release are the cover and the lack of a DTS track.
Old 02-20-07, 01:11 PM

The subtitles also appear to be fine on the Miramax release from the reviews I've read
They aren't.

Here's a tip...if you can play PAL...order the Tartan UK set. It's the best set for the films for English audiences in the world.

If you can't, buy the HK DVD release of part one and then get the DD releases of Infernal Affairs 2 (which is by far the best film of the three) and Infernal Affairs 3.

Avoid the US release of part one and it's box set.
Old 02-20-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Running Man
They aren't.
What's wrong with the subtitles on the Miramax DVD, and are you writing from personal experience or secondhand knowledge?
Old 02-20-07, 02:25 PM

If that is the same "The Running Man" reviewer from the Asian DVD Guide Forum, then he's very reliable.

From what I know, and I can't speak of personal experience but rather observations from both that forum and bullets n babes, is that the subtitles on the Miramax disc vary from accurate to, and I quote, "made up" at times.
Old 02-20-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've never seen these movies and i've always thought of buying the R2UK set but something tells me they are gonna release a new boxset...i dunno if i should wait or not.

i mean come on,Tartan did make a special boxset for The Vengeance Trilogy,maybe they will do for this trilogy too.
Old 02-20-07, 02:29 PM

are you writing from personal experience or secondhand knowledge?
First hand knowledge.

Anyone that has the Miramax DVD can even find out for themselves. Watch the movie with the subtitles on and the English dub on. Watch out different they are many times throughout and note that the English dub was commissioned by Media Asia which means it is based off the original Cantonese dialog.

If that is the same "The Running Man" reviewer from the Asian DVD Guide Forum
Yeah, it's me.

I was planning on actually writing a review on the US and UK DVDs but I just haven't had the time yet. I'll try to see if I can get something up during this week.

the subtitles on the Miramax disc vary from accurate to, and I quote, "made up" at times.
Pretty much yeah.

And you can thank Harvey Weinstein for that.

Last edited by The Running Man; 02-20-07 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone know who is selling the 2-disks HK versions of each IAs?
DDDHouse has them all on sale but their site seems pretty messy as it doesn't list the number of disks or its availability. They havn't responded to my email neither. Buyoyo still has the 2 disks but some of them are "Out for order" or whatever.
Aparently all 3 were re-released as 1 disk editions or something?
Old 02-20-07, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by claytonlee10
DDDHouse has them all on sale but their site seems pretty messy as it doesn't list the number of disks or its availability. They havn't responded to my email neither. Buyoyo still has the 2 disks but some of them are "Out for order" or whatever.
They are in stock. Out of stock items can't be put in the cart. Two disc editions are generally identified, single disc not, so they likely are the single discs.

Try here: Hmv.com.hk

I,II,III
http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/dvd.asp?sku=332324
http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/dvd.asp?sku=455196
http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/dvd.asp?sku=478970

Last edited by dleedlee; 02-20-07 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 06:27 PM
Cool New Member

Hey thanks for the links, I've never heard of them, are they reliable?
Also I noticed the IA 1 wasn't the blue cover that is usually seen avertised, is it the same? Maybe the blue cover is the slipcover art? Actually, I presume they all should come with a slipcover right? I've seen all 3 movies at Futureshop for 29.99$ each and they have one lol.
Thanks again, I'll most likely order after school
Old 02-20-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be careful. I've ordered the 2-disc Mega Star version of IA1 from Five Star Laser and DDDHouse. Both of them sent me the new single disc version. Last I checked, both had removed the 2-disc information but the cover art was still the 2-disc version which is very misleading.

I bought a copy on eBay only to have the same result. I sent emails to two other sites asking for verification of the item they advertised but neither responded.

It took me 3 months to get my money back from DDDHouse after a bunch of back and forth emails telling them I didn't want store credit. Overall I've been trying for about five months now to get a copy if the 2-disc IA1. Maybe it's just my bad luck that I haven't been able to find one. Hopefully you'll have more luck, and if you do, let me know who still has this disc.
Old 02-20-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee
They are in stock. Out of stock items can't be put in the cart. Two disc editions are generally identified, single disc not, so they likely are the single discs.

Try here: Hmv.com.hk

I,II,III
http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/dvd.asp?sku=332324
http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/dvd.asp?sku=455196
http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/dvd.asp?sku=478970
Hey thanks for the links, I've never heard of them, are they reliable?
Also I noticed the IA 1 wasn't the blue cover that is usually seen avertised, is it the same? Maybe the blue cover is the slipcover art? Actually, I presume they all should come with a slipcover right? I've seen all 3 movies at Futureshop for 29.99$ each and they have one lol.
Thanks again, I'll most likely order after school
I can't speak to the reliability of HMV but I can tell you the cover art for IA1 on their site is for the single disc version, even though the page states 2 discs.
Old 02-20-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I've been to Hong Kong 5 times and HMV is 100% a reliable retailer. HMV is a well known British CD/movie retailer that has several chains in Asia, Europe and Canada.

I've also ordered from that site as well and received my merchandise within 2 weeks of ordering.
Old 02-20-07, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by CrashMan
I can't speak to the reliability of HMV but I can tell you the cover art for IA1 on their site is for the single disc version, even though the page states 2 discs.
That's also the inside cover for the 2 disc version.
Old 02-20-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee
That's also the inside cover for the 2 disc version.
Thanks for the info.

claytonlee10, if you order this/these from HMV, let us know what you receive. Sorry but, I'm completely skeptical at this point.
Old 02-20-07, 11:29 PM
Cool New Member

Haha yeesh, now I'm worried now. I ended up emailing HMV HK asking them to confirm if all 3 are 2 disks. I noticed HMV and CDWOW have in the product link for only Infernal Affairs 3 as (2DVD) while its missing for IA 1 and 2.
I also noticed in HMVHK that there is free shipping, just not on international orders lol?
I'm pretty new as far as online shopping is concerned so I don't want to get burned but on the otherhand I got extra money from Chinese New Years to spend
Bleh, I'll wait a while and maybe order anyways next week. New years just ended so maybe they (DDDHouse too) are busy to reply so I'll hold out for a bit.
If anyone has anything to add please do so!
Old 02-21-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The subs on IA1 are the reason I am selling mine. I just ordered the 6 disc set from DDDhouse:

Infernal Affairs Trilogy (HD Remastered) (6 DVDs Boxset)

Disc 1 : Infernal Affairs - The Movie (97 minutes)

Disc 2 : Infernal Affairs Trilogy Special Features
I :--Additional Speical Features:
Unseen Footage (10 mins)
Interview (15mins)
Original vs Storyboard
Retouched vs Original
Advertizing Magazine
Other Territories
Poster Gallery
II :--Avicinar AKA
The Story
Confidental File
MV
Making Of
Trailers
Cast & Credits
Photo Gallery

Disc 3 : Infernal Affairs II - The Movie (119 minutes)

Disc 4 : Infernal Affairs II - Special Features
The Story
Confidental File
MV
Making Of
Trailers
Cast & Credits
Photo Gallery

Disc 5 : Infernal Affairs III - The Movie (Director's Cut)(118 minutes)

Disc 6 : Infernal Affairs III - Speical Features
The Story
Making Of
Trailers
MV
Cast & Credits
Photo Gallery
Old 02-21-07, 08:48 AM

Haha yeesh, now I'm worried now. I ended up emailing HMV HK asking them to confirm if all 3 are 2 disks. I noticed HMV and CDWOW have in the product link for only Infernal Affairs 3 as (2DVD) while its missing for IA 1 and 2.
That's odd, when I originally posted, all the links said 2DVD. HMV must have updated the pages.
Old 02-21-07, 12:54 PM
Cool New Member

Wow wow wow I woke up and got replies from both DDDHouse and HMVHK!

HMVHK:

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your email.

Kindly note that item MSDVD475 and MSDVD448 are only 1 disc version. And item
MSDVD477 is 2 Discs version.

Thank you for your time writing to us, collect information will change at
hmv.com.hk shortly, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Customer Service
HMV Hong Kong
-----------------------
They have since updated their pages to reflect the new description of 1 Disks for IA 1 and 2.

DDDHouse: (I asked if all 3 were 2 disks + slipcover)

Hi,
They have no slipcover and 1 disk only.

Regards
Johnny

-----------------------

Wow, am I glad I emailed them instead of impatiently buying them
Sucks thats the case but its good knowledge to pass around!
Old 02-21-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow. My head is spinning from reading this whole thread!

I had ordered the new DD boxset online, but it is backordered bigtime everywhere:

Infernal Affairs Trilogy

Now, I think I don't want this after all, on account of no DTS, and the hosed-up Miramax disc 1.

Can someone here please guide me through the maze of my options? I really don't want either the 6-disc set or the 8-disc set, but I do want:
  • NTSC
  • Cantonese DTS
  • Good PQ
  • Reliable English subs
Thank you very much!

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 02-21-07 at 01:43 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.