DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   KoreanDvds $2.99 Streetsale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/390931-koreandvds-%242-99-streetsale.html)

OutOfStock 10-15-04 06:36 PM

KoreanDvds $2.99 Streetsale

KoreanDvds.com $2.99 Streetsale going on now...

$2.99 DVD Streetsale

Animation Streetsale

eXcentris 10-15-04 07:04 PM

6. Amelie 2 (The Beating Of The Butterfly's Wing / Le Battement D'ailes Du)
Amelie 2? :lol: This stars Audrey Tautou but has absolutely nothing to do with Amelie.

Bill Geiger 10-15-04 07:07 PM

Hey, the Bible Collection. What the hell was the owner (Michael) thinking in ordering those? They never sell.

young 10-15-04 08:03 PM

man... the cowboy bebop collection looks great. all episodes for $40. is the US version still $100?

Raxel 10-15-04 09:23 PM

lots of dvds on this site are bootlegs.

young 10-15-04 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Raxel
can you provide some evidence for this statement?

KDeering 10-15-04 10:22 PM

I agree, you need some evidence. I have bought tons of DVDs from them and all have been legit.

Darpy 10-15-04 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Raxel
that comment is just slander. a moderator should do something about this.

i (and many others) have bought from these guys many times and never had a problem.

candyrocket786 10-15-04 11:32 PM

Actually....some of the "bootleg" titles you refer to, are public domain in Korea.

marty888 10-15-04 11:33 PM

I just went through the FAQs on the site re: shipping, but didn't see any indication of the actual shipping charges (to the U.S.) - what am I not seeing?

paratize 10-15-04 11:33 PM

Anyone up for <b>F.A.R.T. The Movie</b>?!? ;)

Raxel 10-15-04 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Darpy
that comment is just slander. a moderator should do something about this.

i (and many others) have bought from these guys many times and never had a problem.

I thought we all know "criterion collection" dvds on that site are all bootleg, correct?

Didn't mod just lock this thread about a dvd from koreandvds?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=389861

Raxel 10-15-04 11:53 PM

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Actually....some of the "bootleg" titles you refer to, are public domain in Korea.
Yes, those titles might be in public domain in Korea, but using the print directly from other company's is illegal.

Most classic movies are in public domain in China, but film companies in US call their dvds boo, correct?

Subgeniusguy 10-16-04 11:38 AM

Some of the "Criterion" titles on KoreanDVDs are direct ports of the actual Criterion counterpart and usually without the extras. A lot of the older Disney titles they sell are not actual Disney releases. I believe they would be considered illegal in this country. While I am a big fan of this retailer and make frequent purchases, some of the Streetsale purchases I have gotten in the past have been very substandard in quality like - Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps & GNR's Welcome to the Videos that I got during the last Streetsale. Also some titles I have gotten mention extras on the packaging that are not actually on the disc. The Fire sales are usually good and have major label releases. I have chosen to avoid the Streetsales in the future and will likely stick to major label releases.

bobstevens 10-16-04 02:47 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
Amelie 2? :lol: This stars Audrey Tautou but has absolutely nothing to do with Amelie.
Overstock.com has been selling a version of Happenstance, packaged as Amelie 2 for a while now.

bobstevens 10-16-04 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Subgeniusguy
Some of the "Criterion" titles on KoreanDVDs are direct ports of the actual Criterion counterpart and usually without the extras. A lot of the older Disney titles they sell are not actual Disney releases. I believe they would be considered illegal in this country.
So some of these releases (like the Critieron rip I got from there) are legitimate in Korea but not here? I guess the only question left is why they sell them to US customers if that's the case.

Anyway, I think I'll avoid anything from there with the distributor tagged as "Other" in the future.

Sifu 10-17-04 10:57 AM

So some of these releases (like the Critieron rip I got from there) are legitimate in Korea but not here?
No, if they are copying the R1 DVD without the proper licensing, they are not legitimate no matter where they are being sold. If they were making their own DVD and the movie really is in the public domain, that would be different. You can't just copy another company's DVD and sell it.

Subgeniusguy 10-17-04 12:33 PM

I don't want to disparage all classic titles that KoreanDVDs carries because some of them are quite good and reasonably priced. Alto Media has released "... and God Created Woman" & "Cleo from 5 to 7." The transfers are excellent and from what I understand the flaws are similar to those found on the Criterion releases. I cannot confirm, but I do believe these are legit releases liscenced to Alto from the films' copyright holders. The covers while similar to Criterion's do not display the Criterion banner and the keep cases come in slip covers with alternate artwork. They both also have inserts. They are very professional releases.
The Powell and Pressburger set they sell is from Spectrum, who I have found to be reputable. I believe the transfers on those discs are similar to the European Carlton discs. Whether they were transferred from a PAL master, I have not bothered to confirm.
All the titles I have mentioned are encoded specifically as region 3 as well. There are excellent releases of classic films to be found at KoreanDVDs, but you have to pick carefully to avoid getting a substandard release. Right now I'm interested in the Hong Kong Papillon they carry but don't like the price.

benedict 10-17-04 01:06 PM

If Criterion say that their DVDs are being sold unlawfully then I don't think we can continue to give Board time to the e-tailer in question.

As always, someone with the full facts can email Geoff if they have evidence to the contrary.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk