International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Old 11-27-04, 11:09 AM

have you guys seen the japanese box set due out in january? i'd hold off on all these weird semi-acceptable versions until that kickass version comes out! (though is there only a japanese box set, no chinese box set coming out?)
Old 11-27-04, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by royalwithcheese
have you guys seen the japanese box set due out in january? i'd hold off on all these weird semi-acceptable versions until that kickass version comes out! (though is there only a japanese box set, no chinese box set coming out?)
There's only one problem: the Japanese version (box set and standard release) are both listed without English subs.
Old 11-27-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by royalwithcheese
So far I have seen two versions that are currently being sold here in Chicago and they were (either) poor (or sub-average at best). As this being a future Sony Pictures Classics product...a R1 release should be times better than the current "versions".

For the record the Chinese version is a total disgrace and I dont see how anyone would be satisfied with the picture quality, esp when this appears to be such a panoramic film. I dont plan on ever owning the film but a little wait in this case is highly recommended.

Pro-B
Old 11-28-04, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Merdalf
There's only one problem: the Japanese version (box set and standard release) are both listed without English subs.

argh, you just broke my heart...let's hope for a chinese release with english subtitles in a wicket box set...
Old 11-28-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at a theater today and saw a 35mm trailer for the movie. I'll be damned, but it looked pretty much like crap as well. Maybe the movie was just shot with severely blown out contrasts?
Old 12-02-04, 03:16 AM

House of the flying daggers LE?

Anyone heard anything about any boxsets or limited editions for House of ............. along the same lines as Hero?
Old 12-02-04, 05:57 AM
Cool New Member

yes they are due 28 january, yesasia has both up for preorder now

however they are the japanese version, very pricey and no english subs listed
Old 12-02-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That seems damn pricey for the premium box set. $91.99 for featurettes and a photostand with postcards? And is the Japan version a different cut? SOrry, I haven't had a chance to read the other thread yet.....

http://us.yesasia.com/en/SrAllDept.a...ggers&x=16&y=9
Old 12-02-04, 07:07 PM

Japanese premium sets middle name is pricy.

It sucks though this doesnt have english subs, otherwise it would've been a sure buy.
Old 12-04-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So when is the wide U.S. release date of the movie (in theaters)? I see Dec 3 listed everywhere for NYC and LA, but no other release dates.
Old 12-04-04, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
I was at a theater today and saw a 35mm trailer for the movie. I'll be damned, but it looked pretty much like crap as well. Maybe the movie was just shot with severely blown out contrasts?
i saw the whole movie in the theatre back in September (Toronto Filmfest) and it looked spectacular. at least, the contrast weren't as high as it is on the DVD.
Old 12-04-04, 12:02 PM

So when is the wide U.S. release date of the movie (in theaters)? I see Dec 3 listed everywhere for NYC and LA, but no other release dates.
Not to say it won't get a wide release, but given that most of these types of movies never see one, don't be surprised if it's only limited to a few arthouse cinemas in big cities. Even the official site only lists New York and LA.
Old 12-04-04, 12:48 PM

I think it gets a wide release on Dec 17 in the US. rogerebert.com lists it as the release date and it must be at least a wider release since he's in Chicago. Anyone like my logic or am I totally off?
Old 12-04-04, 01:35 PM

Since bigger cities like Chicago, LA, etc. get some of these arthouse releases, it doesn't guarentee a wide release, although I hope you are right!

Go to a site like Movies.com and they don't list it as an upcoming movie at all.
Old 12-04-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A local theater here is Boston is listing the release for Dec. 17th.
Old 12-04-04, 05:08 PM
Cool New Member

i think closer to the release date they will update it with english subtitles.
japanese releases are always pricey and "generally" have the best PQ, although i will be waiting for a korean release which is cheaper and same quality
Old 12-05-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it will get wide release with the kind of word of mouth it's getting. I noticed that it's Sony Classic Pictures which also handled CTHD's release. They seem to be following pretty much the same schedule - first week of December release in NYC and LA. If they are, then I believe CTHD's wide release happened in January.
Old 12-05-04, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Darpy
i think closer to the release date they will update it with english subtitles.
i wouldn't count on it for the r2jp release. i had the edko disc, it was crap. i ordered the thai dvd from dvdasian and that should be here in a few days. it was cheap as well. so i'll report on the quality of that when it gets here. i'll probably get the r1 when it comes out since typically the picture is better but if sony screws this one up like they did with their dvd of "spring, summer, winter, fall, and spring", then i'll pass on the r1 as well.
Old 12-05-04, 10:57 PM

crap crap crap. Korean release has been pushed back again. Jan 10th now.
Old 12-06-04, 11:55 AM

The UK dvd wil be made by Pathe Fox nice as they do good work and do DTS as well on some films releases, so its between america Sony and UK Pathe
Old 12-06-04, 09:15 PM

Can someone tell me some exact instances where the ghosting/motion blurring effect occurs on the Edco dvd?
Old 12-07-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I have watched the movie in the theatre and it was absolutely gorgeous. But that's just me.

I'm hoping the R1 release of this movie, will be treated with a above average transfer quality.
Old 12-07-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I have watched the movie in the theatre and it was absolutely gorgeous. But that's just me.
It's very possible that the trailer I saw was from a worn-out reel.

I'm hoping the R1 release of this movie, will be treated with a above average transfer quality.
After just reviewing Columbia TriStar's DVD for the (also beautifully photographed) Zhou Yu's Train and seeing what a mess they made of it, my expectations are pretty tempered at this time.
Old 12-08-04, 05:06 PM

just got the thai dvd of this. it is r3, mandarin 5.1, thai 5.1 and DTS. english subs. pretty much is the transfer as the edko disc, as far as i can tell. there are not extras though. it was a buck cheaper than the edko.
Old 12-08-04, 06:51 PM
Cool New Member

Apparently the Sony release of the film is cut.

Blood is erased where ZZY pulls the knife out of her & when Takeshi rides back to ZZY - he sees her lying all bloodied up is cut.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.