Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDDebate has a review up.
Old 10-22-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by glorafiedg
Hey iskandam,
I ordered from CDWOW's Hong Kong Web Site... it was 89 HK Dollars which = about $11.41 USD.
Hope that helps.
ordered!

thanks for the tip.
Old 10-22-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: DVD review

Originally posted by toddly6666

The best NYC Chinatown DVD stores are three stores on Bowery at the corner of Bowery and Canal Street...
As good as Kim's down in the village? Im going to go and try and pick this up then this weekend...
Old 10-22-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I just got mine today. Can't wait to get a chance to watch it.
Old 10-23-04, 12:05 AM

Re: Re: DVD review

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
As good as Kim's down in the village? Im going to go and try and pick this up then this weekend...
I went to Kim's two days ago, and they didn't have it. I got mine today for $12.95 at Lai Ying Music in Chinatown.
Old 10-23-04, 02:56 PM

Re: Re: House of Flying Daggers

Originally posted by texaspete
Says it's Region Code 3 DVD.
like i always say "multiregion taste, multiregion player".
Old 10-24-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: DVD review

Originally posted by Joe1086
I went to Kim's two days ago, and they didn't have it. I got mine today for $12.95 at Lai Ying Music in Chinatown.
Thanks for the info...I went to Kim's today to get and they still didnt have it so I picked up Thriller...Going to Chinatown tommorrow.
Old 10-24-04, 11:24 PM

chinatown had tons last tues.. hurry!!
Old 10-25-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty good movie with some great sound. The DTS track is very well done and ranks high as a great demo disc to show off your system. Very active surrounds and good placement. As someone else said, the "echo drum dance" scene sounds amazing. The picture ain't too shabby either. Some grain in a few scenes but overall fairly crisp with beautiful colors.

I've been hearing a lot of chatter about a scene near the end of film that was laughable and drew people out of the film. I was just wondering if anyone knows what scene they are referring to? There was some dialogue that was a tad bit ridiculous but nothing that I found too bad.

BTW, just so you guys know, if you own a projector don't count on masking the letterbox. The subtitles are placed between the picture and the bottom letterbox.
Old 10-25-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

KIMS VIDEO

FOR KIM'S VIDEO PEOPLE: You will not find new Chinese or Korean Region 3 DVDS at that store before the release date AND not even on the day it's supposed to come out. They usually would get a movie like HERO or HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS two to three weeks later, more expensive than Chinatown, and not even the original version. Why go to Kim's when you you can buy a brand new movie from Chinatown for 13 bucks when they charge 22 bucks for it when it does finally come to there store? Concerning Asian movies, KIM'S VIDEO is only good for getting good DVD copies of new Japanese movies. I'm hoping they get the CASSHERN DVD copy soon...but definitely get HK/CHINESE DVDS in Chinatown and KOREAN DVDS in the Little Korea DVD stores on 32nd street...
Old 10-25-04, 10:14 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by glorafiedg
Hey iskandam,
I ordered from CDWOW's Hong Kong Web Site... it was 89 HK Dollars which = about $11.41 USD.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tip. Mine's on the way.
Old 10-25-04, 01:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by dvdnation
can someone help me out. does anyone know if this Edko Region 3 version is playable on region 1???

I know the Infernal affairs dvds we're region 3 but was playable on region 1.

Thanks
I've heard that this Edko disk is region free, even though it says "3" on it. I'll try mine on a non-region free player I also have when I get the disk and let you know. Has anyone tried it on a non- region free player?
Old 10-25-04, 02:11 PM

I watched this last night. I popped it into my Region 1 DVD player (RP-91) and it did NOT play.

So I watched it on my region-free player.
Old 10-25-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At Kim's you'll generally pay fanboy prices, take the bus 3 more stops downtown and hit CHinatown, like the previous poster said, they're good for Japanese movies, and sometimes they do sell copies as opposed to what Ive seen them say.
Old 10-25-04, 02:26 PM

By the way I'm putting my copy up for trade (in the trade forum) if anyone is interested.

A
Old 10-25-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I know that some people might find this blasphemous, but I just finished watching this movie yesterday and have to say that I thought this movie had more emotional resonance than Hero. Both were definitely exquisitely filmed, but I think on the whole I might have liked House just a little more, maybe because I thought it had more narrative drive.

As for the DVD, as some have already said, the sound is wonderful and the picture is solid. I do expect the one big improvement we will see with subsequent releases is a boost in picture quality.
Old 10-26-04, 10:43 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by AEspinoza1
I watched this last night. I popped it into my Region 1 DVD player (RP-91) and it did NOT play.

So I watched it on my region-free player.
Thanks for checking. I had read on another forum that it would, but I didn't believe it.
Old 10-26-04, 11:17 PM

Just watched it and thought it was pretty good, although I still like Hero better. The picture quality was good for the most part, but I had a problem with the sound. The DD track was fine, but the DTS track kept dropping out. It didn't drop out every once in a while either, it was more like the DTS track was "skipping" and it didn't stop as I tested it at different points of the movie. It was so distracting that I just watched it with the DD track which didn't compare to what I heard of the DTS. Do you think this is just a problem with my disc? My player is the Yamakawa 288.
Old 10-27-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
No audio dropouts with DTS on my Edko disc.

I have to disagree with most here about the picture quality being "pretty good". I thought it looks atrocious. The contrasts are completely blown out and there is a severe white crush.

It actually looks like the movie was shot on video and the camera operator didn't know how to set his white balance. IMDb says this was a 35mm production, but I don't know if that's accurate. It certainly doesn't look anywhere near as good as Hero.
Old 10-27-04, 12:42 PM
Cool New Member

I haven't got mine yet to check it out, but the review on dvdbeaver.com tends to agree with Josh.
Old 10-27-04, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Josh Z
No audio dropouts with DTS on my Edko disc.

I have to disagree with most here about the picture quality being "pretty good". I thought it looks atrocious. The contrasts are completely blown out and there is a severe white crush.

It actually looks like the movie was shot on video and the camera operator didn't know how to set his white balance. IMDb says this was a 35mm production, but I don't know if that's accurate. It certainly doesn't look anywhere near as good as Hero.
Agreed, a brand new movie definately should NOT look like this. Edko messed that up, and now I have to upgrade later on.
Old 10-27-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like I'll have to wait on this one until a better video release comes out.
Old 10-27-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Just watched this one. I have to say that although it was filmed very well I found the first 2/3rd's to be quite boring. The final act caught me totally off guard though...I liked it...ALOT. Better than Hero imo, at least it doesn't have that Yo-Yo Ma cello in the background putting you to sleep.
Old 10-27-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Talk about an emotional film!!! Wow it really got to me at the end.

The film has a "documentary" look to it. It took some time getting use to.

The contrast levels reminded me of the Bitwin "Hero" release......just far worst.

Overall..... I could tolerate it.

Maybe Japan or Korea will get a better release.
Old 10-27-04, 11:19 PM

Josh,

You are definately right about the whites and contrast. I actually think the film was dumped to video and then mastered to DVD from there. That would also explain the horrific flagging issues as well.

Lets hope the eventual R1 release will be a big improvement. I am hoping that Columbia gives this the Superbit treatment like they did Crouching Tiger.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.