DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   I, Robot: Two Disc Limited Edition Collector's Tin!!(Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/388420-i-robot-two-disc-limited-edition-collectors-tin-exclusive-amazon-co-uk.html)

animatedude 09-30-04 09:13 PM

I, Robot: Two Disc Limited Edition Collector's Tin!!(Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk)

here :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Rammsteinfan 09-30-04 09:20 PM

Nice. Im definitely skipping the 1 disc release and waiting to see if we get a 2 disc next year.

candyrocket786 09-30-04 09:25 PM

Nice.

I already pre-ordered the HK version (2Disc, DTS).

atari2600 09-30-04 09:26 PM

why do they supply the UK this version but not the US. no offense to the british but our market is much larger...money wise i dont understand it.

calhoun07 09-30-04 09:30 PM

Originally posted by atari2600
why do they supply the UK this version but not the US. no offense to the british but our market is much larger...money wise i dont understand it.
Because whenever studios release intriguing packaging like that here, people whine and moan when it doesn't fit in with the rest of their DVDs or for other, frvilous reasons.

Personally, I would consider buying it if the damned exchange rate were so high right now. A 17.99 DVD now from the UK would likely translate into a 35.00 disc in US dollars.

atari2600 09-30-04 09:34 PM

who the hell is whining? STFU!

animatedude 09-30-04 09:37 PM

i think it's SILLY to release a single-disc DVD to this kinda movies! is this is how u treat a movie which opened with more than 50 millions $?!....but oh well...i think in the US, they r targetin' the MAINSTREAM audience,since many ppl americans collect DVDz,more than any country....so it's like "let's release single-disc DVD for everyone & then we can start milkin' the cow by releasin' a 2-disc set for geeks...especially DVDTALK.COM users...";)

PopcornTreeCt 09-30-04 10:06 PM

Paging Jackskeleton

Why does Fox suck when it comes to domestic releases?

DonnachaOne 09-30-04 10:09 PM

That is a nice package. Reminds me a bit too much of the Robocop Criterion and the Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition covers.

Joe Molotov 09-30-04 10:10 PM

Originally posted by atari2600
This may not be true, but it's something I've speculated about after reading about the elborate Kill Bill boxsets released in Japan. I think that, at least in the minds of the people in charge, that Americans will buy the movie bare-boned because they want the movie, whereas in other countries you have to have all this fancy crap to try to move your product. Or maybe they just think that Americans won't pay extra for extra stuff, whereas other countries might be more likely to. Although DVDTalkers seem pretty big on fancy crap ( ;) ) I wonder how this plays out for the average DVD buyer over here and in other parts of the world. I know that personally I could care less about the tin, and would only be marginally interested an extra disc of bonus features (although don't get me wrong, if the extra features are there, I'll take 'em), but I'm not sure how other people think. I know The Passion of the Christ sold well over here for being bareboned.

Anyway, just something I've been thinking about.

Big Worms 09-30-04 10:31 PM

I think people on this forum love stuff like this. But I am not sure that we make up the majority of DVD sales to have studios release something like this in the US. Instead they release in expensive version that they can sell cheap and then a few months later release a SE version that targets our market.

P.S. It looks awesome though! I would buy it, but first I need to learn a little bit more about what the different regions is all about.

Jackskeleton 09-30-04 10:32 PM

AWWWW, HELL NAH!

candyrocket786 09-30-04 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
I think that, at least in the minds of the people in charge, that Americans will buy the movie bare-boned because they want the movie, whereas in other countries you have to have all this fancy crap to try to move your product.
I pretty much think most Americans will buy a dvd if it meets any of the following criteria

- It includes Free movie ticket
- The cover includes words like Director's Cut, Limited, Uncut, Unrated, Extended, Deluxe, or Explosive Edition
- The cover has "floating" heads
- It includes more than 1 disc
- It's Star Wars related ;)
- It's LOTR related ;)
- It's located in the 5.50 bin @ Wal-mart
- It's presented by Quentin Tarantino
- It's "loaded" with special features

Did I miss any? :D

The collector's market is huge overseas...especially Japan. That's why they get these insane limited sets like Godzilla or the upcoming Thunderbirds.

Similiar to what Joe Molotov was saying...

I think the studios know that the *majority* of the American public doesn't give two shits about a 1/10 Hanzo sword, a bearbrick, a t-shirt or if they get a medal with their Indiana Jones' set. Most of them also don't give a rat's ass if their dvd has a full-bitrate DTS track or includes any edge enhancement.

That's why we get the 1-disc I, Robot dvd first.

Jackskeleton 09-30-04 11:27 PM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Paging Jackskeleton

Why does Fox suck when it comes to domestic releases?

cause R1 is going to go through A LOT of double dipping in the coming months for it's titles. I can say that it is not worth buying the first release of any of them really. Club Dread, Man on fire, day after tomorrow, I, Robot.

All double dip material for them.

spongebobkay 09-30-04 11:56 PM

I'm all over this one!

Ojam 10-01-04 12:38 AM

done, and done

juicerocket 10-01-04 01:00 AM

Nice find!

Is anyone having an issue trying to place an order through their site? I've tried to complete it 4 times now, and when I get to the "place your order" page and I click "place your order", the screen simply refreshes, but does not confirm my order.

-JR

movieking 10-01-04 07:00 AM

Nice set, but I will pass. Not a big fan of the movie.

spongebobkay 10-01-04 07:05 AM

Originally posted by juicerocket
Nice find!

Is anyone having an issue trying to place an order through their site? I've tried to complete it 4 times now, and when I get to the "place your order" page and I click "place your order", the screen simply refreshes, but does not confirm my order.

-JR

This was happening to me as well. I went back & used the "1-click ordering" feature. That worked.

juicerocket 10-01-04 08:43 AM

Originally posted by spongebobkay
This was happening to me as well. I went back & used the "1-click ordering" feature. That worked.
Thanks spongebobkay, I gave that a shot and it worked for me as well. :)

-JR

Romerojpg 10-01-04 09:56 AM

- The cover has "floating" heads
Cracking! hahahaha
If you all have multiregion players who cares where its from, put your cash where your mouth is and buy it if you want it that much,

or dont and just get a cheap version somewhere, like I am.

Pelayu 10-01-04 09:59 AM

it is mine! :lol:

animatedude 10-01-04 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Cracking! hahahaha
If you all have multiregion players who cares where its from, put your cash where your mouth is and buy it if you want it that much,

or dont and just get a cheap version somewhere, like I am.

word!

Josh Z 10-01-04 10:27 AM

Originally posted by animatedude
i think it's SILLY to release a single-disc DVD to this kinda movies! is this is how u treat a movie which opened with more than 50 millions $?!....but oh well...i think in the US, they r targetin' the MAINSTREAM audience,since many ppl americans collect DVDz,more than any country...
Does anyone have an Ebonics to English dictionary handy?

animatedude 10-01-04 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Does anyone have an Ebonics to English dictionary handy?
-rolleyes-