Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

? about Mulholland Dr. R2 (UK)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-24-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question regarding the R2-UK version of Mulholland Dr.

I know someone who has recently purchased this box set:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...559052-5995020

and their copy of Mulholland Dr. says "rental version" on the cover. What does that mean? Is it edited in anyway? I found it odd that it was rated 15, while Eraserhead and Lost Highway were both rated 18. But, I could not find two different versions on any other R2 website. Each site I checked said the dvd was rated 15.

Anyone know anything about this dvd? and what the "rental version" on the cover means?
Old 09-24-04, 10:57 AM

It means that this version was intended for the rental market, not retail (so technically speaking, this copy could only be rented from a store, and not actually purchased by a customer - although it sounds like someone's bought it!).
Films have different windows, and may appear as rental titles before they're actually available to buy, so the copies are branded either rental or retail (although many have rental/retail stamped on the back, and are therefore OK for either purpose).
If it says "rental version", it's usually safe to say that this is an ex-rental copy (although if it was bought from Amazon, it is probably just a mix-up on the distributor's part, and I'd imagine it's a brand-new disc that's never been actually rented/watched).

The film will be the same, and won't be a different cut - it did receive a 15 cert. in the UK.

Dazza.

Last edited by Dazza; 09-24-04 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-24-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the reply Dazza.

I find it shocking that Mulholland Drive got passed with a 15 yet Eraserhead gets an 18, lol. I mean there is more violence and sex and just about everything in Mulholland Drive than in Eraserhead. Eraserhead really doesn't have any objectionable content other than just being very bizarre.

Then again I don't understand the ratings decisions made in the United States half the time, let alone in other countries.