International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

twentynine palms

Old 09-20-04, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twentynine palms

I see this is hitting R1 tomorrow:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0002KQNPO/

I know there have been one or two posts on this film in the past, but would be interested to hear thoughts on it from any of you R1 people that are picking this one up (or of course from anyone else that's seen it).
I have the R2 (Fr.) edition, which does have the choice of English subs for the non-English parts of the film. It also contains a decent "making of...":

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001MMEYC/

Dazza.
Old 09-20-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dazza,

I have not picked up the French disc yet and have been waiting for a preliminary review of the R1 disc as well. I just want to make sure that it is not a PAL to NTSC port....if it is confirmed that it is not, I will get it.

In fact I might just rent it and determine what the source is.

Pro-B
Old 09-21-04, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Dazza,

I have not picked up the French disc yet and have been waiting for a preliminary review of the R1 disc as well. I just want to make sure that it is not a PAL to NTSC port....if it is confirmed that it is not, I will get it.

In fact I might just rent it and determine what the source is.

Pro-B
"to rent" - is the best suggestion to watch this movie, I'd have to say I rather have my eyes plucked out of my head than rewatch this movie ever again, but hey, that's just my opinion.
Old 09-21-04, 02:42 PM

The release in France was intended to be 'international' with full full correct English subtitles. The distributor has said they intend to release more DVDs like that (and with NTSC).

As for the disc, it's reference quality. Don't expect to see a better release anywhere.

The film is brilliant and -eventually- very shocking. If you liked the director's (Bruno Dumont -La Vie de Jésus and L'Humantié) other work, this is a must see.

Definitely not for people who like being stupid or like limiting themselves to the rubbish spewed out by 98% of Hollywood.

www.xploitedcinema.com

www.amazon.fr (with your Amazon.com login)

Highly recommended to the discerning.
Old 09-22-04, 08:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
My take on this film, is that the film's central characters are so erractic and unpredicatable, one has to stretch their endurance level to one accept their quirks and secondly watch their seemingly endless journey. A director doesn't always necesarily have to have redeming characters in a movie, but when so many other flawed elements of the film are also baring down on the film on the whole, it threatenes to bring the film crashing down in on itself. The widescreen imagery and camera angles are commendable, but when the camera and DP/director are clearily visible three times, the overall effect is broken

The movie walks a very thin plotline and one doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to realize where the story and specifically the characters fate leads to (it's not shocking, it's an inevitable.).

To make the gross and unfair generalization that if one doesn't get these type of movie is either stupid or is only receoptable to Hollywood dreck, is egotistical and reeks of art-house snobbery.
Old 09-22-04, 11:58 AM

I'm glad you explained a bit more rather than just your "I rather have my eyes plucked out of my head than rewatch this movie" comments.

Spielberg and Kubrick unintentionally appear in a few of their films. These things happen. The way Twentynine Palms was produced and shot it's even more likely to happen.

I'm sure if it gets remade in Hollywood you'll like the extra glossy production values.
Old 09-23-04, 11:16 AM

Well, interesting to read the above posts. I thought this was really worthwhile - not as good as "l'Humantié", but very good for something that was really one that the director made between films while he was trying to set up a much bigger project. Even though someone had given me a clue as to what happened in the end, it still left me feeling really rattled when I actually saw it.
As Daniel says above, the blaqout disc is great. Expensive, and not exactly loaded with extras, but still great quality.

Dazza.