Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What region is this: He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-19-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the image

Here's the dvd compare:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=3614

Does anyone actually recognize or own this?
Old 09-19-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts
looks like Korean writing. but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-19-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the website listed on the bottom front cover in green I would definitely say it's the Korean R3 version.
Old 09-19-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Writing indeed looks korean, and renaldow's logic checks out. I have the R1 of this movie and it's not bad, but the story does kind of drag.
Old 09-19-04, 11:26 PM

That is indeed the R3 Korean Bitwin release. I have it and it's the best version available in my opinion. It's NTSC, DTS, and despite the vagueries on the internet it has the 2 alternate endings as well as the deleted scenes available on other regions (but not the R1). I enjoy it very much. Also look for the korean version of God is Great I'm Not which is the best available version in my opinion as it includes deleted scenes and screen tests not available in R1 (if you want to check out another entertaining Audrey Tautou flick).

Edit: Just some further clarification.

The image on the left looks extremely similar to the cover of the R3 Korean DVD, but seems to be the movie posterart that was used for the DVD cover where the image on the right is a scan of the back of the R3 Korean DVD cover. Also, you may see images of the R3 korean DVD that have a different cover - a white cover with Tautou smiling surrounded by a heart. I assume that is an image of the DVD with a slip cover on it as I've read this DVD used to ship with. The copy I have did not come with a slip cover and I assume that shipped with the first printing of the DVD and, like many DVDs, they got rid of the slipcover as a cost saver. Again, I have the DVD, it is the one depicted in the picture, and it's the best to get.

Edit: MORE Clarification

I just checked because I thought that this DVD might actually be R0 rather than R3 and I was right. SO, it IS in fact ALL-Region. Not region coded. Hope this was all helpful.

Edit: Details

5 deleted scenes with optional commentary
2 alternate endings with optional commentary
Music Video (pretty weak)
Trailor
TV Spot
Photo Gallery
Synopsis (Korean)
Cast Bios (Korean)

Last edited by exparr0t; 09-19-04 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by exparr0t
Hope this was all helpful.
It was extremely helpful. Thank you very much. You've made my day! Thanks to everyone else who chimed in as well.
Old 09-20-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have not seen the R3 Korean version of He Loves me He Loves me Not...but would like to point out a few things to you. About 99% of all Korean versions of French movies are PAL to NTSC ports, hence, the dreaded ghosting. I would suggest you run a quick test to determine the source before buying it.

Now to...God Is Great I'm Not, I have seen the Korean version and this is anything but "the best" version available. There is plenty of dust and specs on the print. Edge enhancement is all over this version and quite frankly anyone with a large screen TV would be diaspointed by it. I dont know if exparr0t refers to extras and such as the basis for his comparison but I WOULD AVOID this dvd. In addition the English subs are average at best in my opinion as there are a number of syntax mistakes.

You could rent the disc from Niche and compare it for yourself.

Pro-B
Old 09-20-04, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
I would suggest you run a quick test to determine the source before buying it.
How would I go about doing this? I'd be willing to take a look.

I dont know if exparr0t refers to extras and such as the basis for his comparison... In addition the English subs are average at best in my opinion as there are a number of syntax mistakes.
Pro-B
I was suggesting that the R3 God is Great is better than the R1 in terms of extras and extras alone as my "setup" is hardly reference quality Sorry if that was unclear. I had noticed the mistakes in the subs, but everything is definitely understandable. Also, I purchased this DVD before the R1 came out so never really did a proper comparison anyway. Sounds like you should check out the R1 as the deleted scenes are not spectacular (nor do they have any English subs) and the screen tests are probably not enough to allow the R3 God is Great to win over the R1 based on Pro-B's analysis. However, He Loves Me... always looked pretty good to me, though I have a poor setup and have not really payed very close attention. Any suggestions and I will see what I can do.
Old 09-20-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts
anyone have the Region 2 UK release? how is it video/audio wise.
Old 09-20-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by exparr0t
Sounds like you should check out the R1 as the deleted scenes are not spectacular.....

and the screen tests are probably not enough to allow the R3 God is Great to win over the R1.....

However, He Loves Me... always looked pretty good to me, though I have a poor setup and have not really payed very close attention.
In summary it appears that He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not Korean R3 (actually R0) is of fine quality while God is Great, I'm Not's quality is questionable.

I've already took the plunge and ordered the Korean He Loves Me, so that's done. I was considering going for the Korean God is Great instead of the R1 bare-bones but now I'm gonna back off due to pro-b and exparr0t's comments.

Thanks to all posters for not allowing this obscure thread to turn into a tumbleweed.