Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Breaking News - Anyone else really like this one?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-18-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched Breaking news and, I must say, I really really enjoyed it. I especially loved that extended shot at the start of the film, that first shoot out. I believe that it was one long continuous shot that lasted around eight minutes or so. I don't think I saw any cuts at all, and it was just simply well done. As the camera moved all around showing person to person, it was very impressive.

The film gave off the perfect claustrophobic feel, which really made the film pretty tense to watch, in a good way. The entire deal with the media vs. police was quite interesting as well, and really makes you think about stuff like that.

Overall though, that extended shot at the start of the film really set the pace of the film, and was just outstanding. That extended shot instantly became one of my favorite scenes ever in film. I especially loved this scene also.

What version of this DVD would you guys recommend to pick up? What are your thoughts on the film itself?
Old 09-18-04, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got this version. I'm not sure that there's a better version out there.... plus the cover art is pretty nice.

I thought the movie was alright, but Fulltime Killer remains my favorite To film for the time being. I felt a little let down by the end of Breaking News. Also, I get a little annoyed by his "style over... anything" sort of filmmaking. Fulltime Killer and Running on Karma are his only films I can think of where that didn't bug me.

He's still intriguing enough that I check out mostly all of his films. Throw Down will no doubt be in my next Yesasia order.
Old 09-18-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked this film (8/10), here is my review.

Cheers

DVD Smurf

PS. I also got the version from post above.

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 09-18-04 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-18-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the movie dragged a little too long and the cop character turned comical after awile he kept messing up so much and getting his ass kicked, the opening shootout was the best thing in the movie. To's latest (for now, i think the guy does 6 movies a year) Throwdown was awesome for me, dont get fooled bu the ads or the box art making it look like a fighting flick, it has a great story, characters and acting.
Old 09-18-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
Got it yesterday along with Throw Down but haven't watched it yet. I hope those "box like" slip covers that you have to open at the top or bottom don't become a trend. They suck.
Old 09-18-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
I liked this movie a lot. The opening shot was incredible, and I liked the characters and storyline.
Old 09-18-04, 07:23 PM
Banned

i liked the movie a lot, but i felt the extended first shot was just a gimmick to bring more publicity to the film and hype; i was in hong kong when it debuted theatrically and i saw it there, and all the ads could brag about was how they did this long extended shot at the beginning which had to be seen to be believed

don't get me wrong, i was very impressed by it, but would the film have been worse without it or had it been edited differently? definitely not; it was purely a gimmick to generate hype in my opinion
Old 09-18-04, 07:55 PM

I agree about the extended shot. Those are always impressive from a technical perspective but rarely do anything for the story or emotional impact of a movie, except maybe in Rope, which I haven't seen yet.

I thought Russian Ark would be the most awesome movie ever just because it was one long shot... instead I fell asleep.

The extended shot certainly didn't hurt Breaking News, but it didn't do anything to make it better, for me. Like I said, To's style over substance, plot, character, etc bugs me.

One other thing... I think Nick Cheung's performance was supposed to be comical. I thought it was pretty funny, at least. I think he has come from a comedic background too, not sure.
Old 09-19-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie suffers like Swordfish did, you have an awesome opening scene that the rest of the movie doesnt equal.
Old 09-19-04, 08:40 AM

That Breaking News DVD is the only one you can get for now. Nick Cheung did start out by doing comedies.

I thought Breaking News was just awesome, but I prefered Throw Down. To's 'style over substance' is kind of midleading, as he always has a message to say in his movies, and he shoots his movies in a romantic way so he doesn't seem preachy. I think it's a great idea. Hollywood should take a hint. Anyway, that opening scene is great, and the rest of the movie was awesome. Very well shot and thought out. I never find his style annoying, I find it adds to the movie.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm a huge Johnnie To fan, so I might be wrong.
Old 09-19-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pat00139
To's 'style over substance' is kind of midleading, as he always has a message to say in his movies, and he shoots his movies in a romantic way so he doesn't seem preachy. I think it's a great idea. Hollywood should take a hint.
I agree. I haven't exactly seen every To film (he cranks them out faster than I can watch them!), but many of the ones I have seen have very strong characters and storylines. Breaking News in particular had quite a bit of relevant social commentary behind it.

The "style vs. substance" debate doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. A movie can have both.
Old 09-19-04, 11:15 PM

Well, his movies only started becoming really nice after the turnover. That's when he started finding his stride. Starting with Lifeline, but really with A Hero Never Dies, his style really came into its own. The more movies he can make, the happier I'll be.

I agree that Mr. To's movies have style and substance, the thing I objected to was 'style over substance', which makes people think there's nothing there, but looks pretty. Like I said before, I love Mr. To's style, and he has things to say, so it's really nice to see his movies.
Old 09-20-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just watched this tonight, and give it a big

I have to disagree with those who regard that opening sequence as a gimmick. I think it draws you into the scene in a way that standard editing would never do, and creates a reality that would be lost with fast cutting. And perhaps even more importantly, the continuity of that extended shot helps establish a link between "good guys" and "bad guys" that is then explored for the remainder of the movie.

And who wouldn't love the cooking scene!
Old 09-20-04, 11:49 PM

Well To films are split into two categories: commercial HK crap and movies that are cool. I've seen most of the "cool" films he's made since 1999 and I find a lot of them to be unsatisfying from anything but a stylistic perspective.

Biggest offender: PTU. The entire movie was nothing but a pretense for shooting the last scene. That really pissed me off, but apparently it didn't stop the film from winning him a HK film award. The movie was loudly praised on the Internet as well... mind boggling. I didn't even enjoy the big end scene... the whole movie was a long, dark, stylish nothing.

Rant aside, he certainly had things to say with Breaking News. He was going for the "15 Minutes" kind of message, I would guess, except he made a better film than "15 Minutes". But it's abundantly clear that he values style most, and pays more attention to it than plot or character development. Of course occasionaly his films have both... like The Mission (which I personally didn't like but can't fault anyone for liking), but to me it seems like misplaced priorities.

But don't get me wrong... the only To film I really hate is PTU.
Old 09-21-04, 03:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bobstevens

Biggest offender: PTU. The entire movie was nothing but a pretense for shooting the last scene. That really pissed me off, but apparently it didn't stop the film from winning him a HK film award. The movie was loudly praised on the Internet as well... mind boggling. I didn't even enjoy the big end scene... the whole movie was a long, dark, stylish nothing.
i agree; another gimmick setup for a ridiculously coincidental ending; nonetheless, it's a stylish picture and i think illustrated the fine line between good guys and bad guys
Old 09-21-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know what to tell ya. Thought PTU was great too.
Old 09-21-04, 12:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I utterly disagree. Based on the pacing and it's "day in the life" outlook, PTU is one of those movies where you're suppose to get into the journey, and not the ultimate conclusion (ie. "The Mission" falls into a similar vein)

Since you make mention of the ending several times, I am assuming that you were concentrating your viewing towards the conclusion and missed the main emphasis and point of the movie: everything that leads up to the ending. The ending was anti-climatic, and that pretty much was the point based on how the movie flowed.

But it's abundantly clear that he values style most, and pays more attention to it than plot or character development.
Again, I utterly disagree. I think you're mistaking how "stylish" and "substance" are being categorized. One of the strengths of Breaking News is that it drops you into the situation cold and like PTU, covers more on how the characters deal with the situation rather than about the characters themselves.

It's THERE that you learn about the characters: I find the almost absolute lack of exposition a refreshing change. What you might consider "stylish/lack of substance" could actually be "not everything is spelled out for you". They're in the middle- of hunting down criminals and don't have time to have a "moment" discussing their wife, kids, dreams, fears, etc.

Hey, I like those "bonding" movies as well, by "PTU" and "Breaking News" aren't those kinds of movies. To each their own, I guess.
Old 09-21-04, 11:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

PTU - 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Breaking News - 3 out of 5.

Love Battlefield - 4 out of 5.

Really liked Love Battlefield much more than Breaking News.
Old 09-23-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
Just watched it, not a bad To film overall. I liked PTU better than this but I don't mind style over substance.

I have a question though:

Spoiler:

When he was handcuffed to Fong in the street at the end, why did (errr forgot his name) the badguy shoot at the guy coming out of the building? Then when he gets shot, a picture of the guy falls out of his pocket. Did he (the robber) and the other bad guy (the killer) switch roles? Is that picture what he found on the floor near the elevator?
Old 09-24-04, 01:16 AM

Exactly.

Spoilers ahead...

The killer and the robber don't know each other, but they just met by chance in the building. The robber wanted to finish the killer's job because the killer died. Something about camaraderie in extreme situations.
Old 10-20-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a better version of this film on DVD yet?
Old 10-21-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Is there a better version of this film on DVD yet?
What's wrong with the current version?
Old 10-21-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh nothing, just wondering if there was one with any English friendly special features and everything.
Old 10-21-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm amazed anyone liked this film - i would give it 6 out of 10 stars. If it wasn't for the entertaining shoot-out at the beginning, I would give the film 4 out of 10 stars.

Running on Karma was a great original movie!
Old 10-22-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I'm amazed anyone liked this film - i would give it 6 out of 10 stars. If it wasn't for the entertaining shoot-out at the beginning, I would give the film 4 out of 10 stars.

Running on Karma was a great original movie!
Your taste is exactly the opposite of mine. Running on Karma was awful.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.