Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

THE GENERAL (buster keaton) R0 PAL 2-Disc

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-17-04, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVDBeaver has listed a new edition for this film, now the best version available. Seems like there's no language problem with the extras except for the booklet. If anyone finds any good prices, please post.

Distribution:
Mk2 + Lobster Films

Region 0 - NTSC
Runtime 1:15:29
Video 1.33:1 Original Aspect Ratio
Average Bitrate: XX.X mb/s
PAL 720x576 25.00 f/s

Audio:
English (Silent) (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo) - 1995 Robert Israel score OR English (Silent) (Dolby Digital 5.1 Mono) - by Joe Hisaishi

Subtitles:
English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Portuguese, None

Release Information:
Studio: MK2 - Region 0 - PAL
Aspect Ratio:
Fullscreen - 1.33:1

Edition Details:

DISC 1

Introduction by David Robinson. A 8 min clip about the recording of the score and a 2 min restoration comparison.

DISC 2

THE RAILROADER and BUSTER KEATON RIDES AGAIN.
A 1 minute 'Making of The General' clip. a 7 min extract from the tinted version. A 11 min Keaton filmography with pictures. An 11 minute Orson Welles introduction (made for TV). A 11 min 1962 film RETURN OF THE GENERAL. The trailer for THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE, THE IRON MULE (Al St John 1925, 13 min) and a Disney Alice comedy ALICE'S TIN PONY 6 mins.

A 20 page booklet is included with the DVD which is in French.

DVD Release Date: September 7th, 2004
Keep Case

Chapters 21

Last edited by minguy; 09-17-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-16-06, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only been about a year and a half, but I figured it was time for a reply.

Does anybody know if there's a difference between the MK2 French disc & the Cinema Club English version linked below? I haven't been able to find any direct comparison but if they're the same, the English versions with their booklets might be a better option for Americans. They seem to have the same features, but are from different studios (according to Amazon, anyway). The same goes for College, Steamboat Bill Jr, & Three Ages.

It seems like it would be an awfully big coincidence - especially since the French discs are apparently in English. According to DVDBeaver, these four are the only ones from the giant MK2 Keaton set that are, and they are better quality than the rest of the set as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Old 03-17-06, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the UK version is simply a port of the French. It has the mk2 menus and logo on the package. The UK comes with a good informative booklet all in english of course.

I have this set and its great. Loved the extras too. I don't think there's a better version of The General anywhere at this time. Get it!