DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Wong-Kar Wai Box R1 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/384417-wong-kar-wai-box-r1.html)

Buzz Lightyear 09-08-04 02:21 PM

Wong-Kar Wai Box R1

http://www.mimadesign.nl/show/fotomappen//dvd/823.jpg

I hope I don't double post here. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I saw there will be a new Wong-Kar Wai Box on region 1 next month. I recently saw Chunking Express and really liked the movie.

Are all his movies like that? I have a feeling his other movies are more violent. Is that true. I prefer the romantic dreamy style of Chunking Express.

Should I go for this set or not? The only other movie from Wong-Kar Wai I saw was In The Mood for Love. I liked that as well.

Thanks for your help. More info on the set is found here:

http://www.kino.com/video/news.php?news_id=20

TopHatCat64 09-08-04 02:27 PM

I've seen those two, along with Happy Together, Fallen Angels, and Ashes of Time.

Those films also have that loosely-jointed free flowingness to them. None of his movies are really that violent, even Ashes of Time (where u got a bunch of sword slashing) doesn't come across as VIOLENCE since its just a part of life in the picture and things keep rolling along...

marty888 09-08-04 02:55 PM

Looks like a great set! Go for it!

chente 09-08-04 03:24 PM

I'm very interested in this but I'll wait for a review of how the transfers look.

Summerwine 09-08-04 05:47 PM

Been waiting for this for years - finally anamorphic transfers, especially from his earlier films - a MUST BUY!

S :)

lostatmidnight 09-08-04 09:43 PM

oh damn...very very tempting.

Richard Malloy 09-09-04 01:05 PM

It looks like "chungking express" is the exact same disc as we presently have (notice the same spine/logo), probably included on license.

Why no "Ashes of Time", I wonder?

mensachicken 09-13-04 12:04 AM

Chungking will be the same as the previous release because Kino doesn't have the rights to that film. It's being loaned to them for the set by Miramax or whoever it was that put it out. I will definitely buy this set.

bobstevens 09-13-04 12:45 AM

I think you'll like the other movies. Fallen Angels is extremely high on my list of the best films ever. It's a lot like Chungking Express except darker and less annoying (ie no Faye Wong and no stupid song played 970 times). Takeshi Kaneshiro's character is I think my favorite character in all of film, so far.

Days of Being Wild has a similar mood to Chungking Express and Fallen Angles, although the interaction between Maggie Cheung and Andy Lau in the film was extremely short. This is sad because it was more interesting than any other relationship in the film.

Happy Together may be the weakest link, but I haven't watched the whole thing. I need to give it a second chance one of these days. It was a little slow to me, and I turned it off about halfway through.

As Tears Go By almost seems out of character for WKW. Andrew Lau, the king of HK triad films, was the DP for it and really it's about what you'd get if you put all of Lau's later work and all of WKW's later work in a blender and mixed it up. I just watched it with English subs for the first time a few nights ago... it's a good film, though not quite what you would expect from WKW.

I'm passing on this box set just because I already own most of these movies, including the exact same releases of Fallen Angels and Chungking Express. Still waiting for a newer DVD release of Ashes of Time... and I'd go for a box set that didn't just seem like a repackaging.

Buzz Lightyear 09-13-04 02:09 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will go for it.

marty888 09-13-04 06:58 AM

Originally posted by bobstevens

I'm passing on this box set just because I already own most of these movies, including the exact same releases of Fallen Angels...

Not according to Kino:

<b><i>"Happy Together and <u>Fallen Angels</u>, both <u>specially re-mastered for this set."</u></i></b>

bobstevens 09-13-04 02:30 PM

Originally posted by marty888
<b><i>"Happy Together and <u>Fallen Angels</u>, both <u>specially re-mastered for this set."</u></i></b>
Ah... I missed this. Maybe I'll have to think twice, but still... yet another copy of Quentin's Chungking Express isn't the most desirable thing in the world for me.

I'll look into dropping all my extra copies of these films on ebay, I guess.

Anyone want a Days of Being Wild VCD? :)

Edit: In addition, HOLY CRAP !

chente 09-13-04 07:33 PM

I'll probably pick this up now that I know that we are getting some new transfers for some of them. I can always give my current copy of Chungking Express to a friend of mine who really liked it when I screened it for her.

paratize 09-13-04 08:50 PM

If only "Ashes of Time" were substituted for "Chungking Express", which I have already. And unfortunately, "As Tears Go By" isn't anamorphic either.

cine 09-14-04 08:03 PM

Originally posted by paratize
... And unfortunately, "As Tears Go By" isn't anamorphic either.
Kino's info on the set says it is anamorphic.

paratize 09-14-04 08:46 PM

Originally posted by cine
Kino's info on the set says it is anamorphic.
Well, I had just checked that site yesterday and I swear it said it was Letterbox, so they must have just changed it. Anyway, it's good news.

cultshock 09-14-04 09:49 PM

If only "Ashes of Time" were substituted for "Chungking Express",
I agree heartily, but according to some people who have emailed about ASHES OF TIME, Kino says that there is a confusing rights issue with the film and/or acceptable elements don't seem to be available (and it apparently is not worth their while to look into this further). Not good news for those of us hoping for a definitive ASHES release. :(

drjay 09-14-04 11:39 PM

Kino needs to stop releasing great stuff. Why is it they never get the props Criterion does? I'm just as interested in the stuff they're releasing these days as Criterion, if not moreso. I dunno, but no one ever starts a "must own all Kino" thread....must be the lack of spine numbers, heh. In any case, damnit I am about to be broke!

Richard Malloy 09-15-04 11:26 AM

Kino needs to stop releasing great stuff. Why is it they never get the props Criterion does?
Generally speaking and IMO (of course), they don't bring the same degree of technical or scholarly quality to their releases, but stuff like "Metropolis" and "The Blue Angel" do approach Criterion standards. As far as Wong Kar Wai releases, I doubt any of these discs will be comparable to Criterion's "In the Mood for Love".