Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is "Billion Dollar Brain" still coming out on Sept 6th?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

This 3rd film in the Michael Caine Harry Palmer series is scheduled for the 6th in the UK yet most sites I've been to like Amazon.uk, Sendit.com, and Benson's World don't list a price or a way to pre-order. Any news on this? Seems kind of strange.
Old 09-04-04, 09:30 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Play.com has already mailed my copy on Sept. 2nd.
Old 09-04-04, 02:12 PM

Check out the message board at this pop-up heavy but excellent Harry Palmer web site for some bad news on how the Beatles copyright problem was solved on the Billion Dollar Brain DVD:http://members.tripod.com/keesstam/harrypalmer.html
Old 09-04-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cripes. So they cut the entire scene with the Beatles tune? How long was it? I have the first two Palmer films but I've never seen this one.

I wish Play.com shipped to the U.S. I wonder why the other sites are so late with their pre-order info. Now I'm thinking maybe I should wait until there's word on the R1 release.
Old 09-07-04, 01:31 PM
Cool New Member

I received my copy today and forthwith made a comparison of the DVD with an unedited TV broadcast of the film I have on tape (both PAL).

The missing bit, i.e. the beginning of the scene in which Harry Palmer meets the band of Latvian "counter-revolutionaries" with "A hard day's night" playing as source music, lasts 30 seconds.
Old 09-09-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info.

This is a title that's been in the works for like 3 years but delayed by that song. I'm curious to know what efforts MGM made to remedy the problem or if they just sat on it all this time. It's too bad they couldn't have found a way around it by replacing the song at the very least but maybe they didn't bother to look for the original audio tracks or they've been lost to carelessness.

Here's a review of the dvd for anyone interested.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12715

It's a shame they didn't record a Ken Russell commentary or at least include the trailer.

I'm curious, if this gets a U.S. release will it be handled by MGM or will it be a WARNER title?