Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

IGN review of Miramax's DVD for SHAOLIN SOCCER.

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-20-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

This release has kinda snuck up on me, as it's being released next week and it seems nobody is mentioning it.

Well, IGN has done a review of the new DVD, and there's some good news and bad news.
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/539/539602p1.html

The Good: The DVD contains the complete uncut Extended Version of the film in Cantonese with English subtitles. It looks like Miramax has done a decent transfer, with more image than the cropped Universe DVD (see comparison in article). The Cantonese track is also in 5.1 sound, and the subtitles are probably score better than on the Universe disc.

The Bad: The review complains about some grain and flickering of the image, as well as a lackluster 5.1 mix. It'd be interesting to compare with the Universe 5.1 mix to see if it's the same. No DTS track or extras.

The Ugly: The US Theatrical cut-n-dub hatchet job on the disc. At least this might offer a good A-B comparison for people arguing the superiority of the original versions of films over the Miramax bastardizations of them.
Old 08-20-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think anyone on this board probably had this a few years ago.
Old 08-20-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by harosa
I think anyone on this board probably had this a few years ago.
Not me, although I had rented it. I'll probably pick up the R1 release after reading a few new reviews.
Old 08-20-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What stopped you from getting it before?
Old 08-20-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another review:
http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews...n_soccer.shtml
Old 08-21-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The DTS on the HK disc is worth purchasing it that way instead of just your basic 5.1 sound that Miramax is releasing.
Old 08-21-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Universe release was fine - the Korean release is great and also has DTS. I don't think I'd buy this from Miramax even if it was better somehow - I don't want to help encourage them to do this to foreign films. My personal little tiny insignifigant protest.
Old 08-21-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
I don't want to help encourage them to do this to foreign films.
Do what? Release the original version with the original language and original soundtrack on DVD? This is exactly the type of release we need to encourage them to do more of.
Old 08-21-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jay G.
My personal little tiny insignifigant protest.
A more substantial protest, IMO, would be ignoring the Star Wars Trilogy... people petitioned and worked hard just to get Miramax to include the original cut of SS on DVD.
Old 08-21-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I'm ignoring the Star Wars trilogy as well. As for this Miramax release, I'm protesting their rape of the film in the first place. That's great that they are releasing it uncut and presumably unchanged, but I don't want them to go to HK and get movies to bring over here anymore - they always change them and dub them. Why can't it just be like it is in other countries where it's common to go into a theater and see subtitles? I see your points though - it's good to encourage them to release more stuff uncut. It sends a mixed message though since the cut and dubbed version is on there too. Meh - either way, I already have a good DVD of it.
Old 08-21-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's great that they are releasing it uncut and presumably unchanged, but I don't want them to go to HK and get movies to bring over here anymore - they always change them and dub them.
Well, Buena Vista is releasing Zatoichi and Sonatine uncut in November... now, if they could ever BOTHER to release The Killer and Hard Boiled, that would be something else. I don't mind the dubs, since I never listen to them, it's the cuts that irritate me to no end. Also, in the case of Sonatine, there were problems with the subtitles containing expletives (where there were none intended).
Old 08-21-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DrGerbil
A more substantial protest, IMO, would be ignoring the Star Wars Trilogy... people petitioned and worked hard just to get Miramax to include the original cut of SS on DVD.
How the heck did you quote me wrong? Trigger said "My personal little tiny insignifigant protest," not me. And for the record, I am ignoring the Star Wars Trilogy Box Set.

As for this Miramax release, I'm protesting their rape of the film in the first place.
I can understand protesting Miramax's handling of this film up to this point; ignoring the theatrical release, sending letters and signing pettions etc. However, if we as fans don't support the releases that do give us what we want, where's the incentive for Miramax to pay attention to us ever again?

Boycotting one release isn't going to stop Miramax from buying more HK films. Heck, they already own plenty of HK films they haven't released yet. Should we stop trying to persuade Miramax that appealing to the Hong Kong film fan is a good thing to do?

As for the mixed message, if this DVD sells well, Miramax may get the idea that offering the original cut/language as at least an option may actually be a good thing, as they learned with their release of Princess Mononoke in regards to anime fans.

I remember when the theatrical release came out, soemone suggested sending letters in to Miramax protesting the cuts, and including a ticket stub of the film you went to see instead, illustrating a lost sale. That sent a message, but an even better message would be to now send a letter thanking Miramax for their release of the original version, and sending a receipt for your purchase of their DVD. Nothing speaks louder to a company than money.
Old 08-21-04, 05:07 PM
Banned

I just got the Universe HK disc, so unless someone can prove that the R1 is substantially better in presentation, I'll stick with it.