Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Incredible movie - K.Fukasaku's Shogun's Samurai

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-19-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to let "chambara/samurai/jidai-geki" fans know that the R1 dvd of Kinji Fukasaku's Shogun's Samurai (Yagyu Clan Conspiracy) has been released.

Ordered mine fm Amazon and it was certainly one of the best epic samurai movies I've ever seen. Fukasaku blends intrigue, honor, treachery, and violence in this story of power stuggle for the highest seat during the Tokugawa Shogunate era.

I realize some of you may have already seen this one but I cannot believe that a movie like this, considering it was made back in 1978, would hold so much power and intensity in its story.

It's amazing how with a cast consisting of such big stars (well, in their time at least) such as Toshiro Mifune, Sonny Chiba, Hiroyuki Sanada etc. would have ample screentime that their characters would influence the flow of the plot.

Big thanks to Ventura distribution for releasing this dvd and for Patrick Macias (author of TokyoScope) for providing very informative linear notes.
Old 08-19-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Incredible movie - K.Fukasaku's Shogun's Samurai

Originally posted by Cardiac161
I cannot believe that a movie like this, considering it was made back in 1978, would hold so much power and intensity in its story.
You're surprised that there were powerful and intense movies made waaaay back in the olden days of the 1970's?
Old 08-20-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts
I think some of the top movies of the 1970s had more power and intensity than much of what we see today. Isn't it a surprise that when you give great filmmakers artistic license you come up with highly personal, original pieces of art.

But your movie recommendation does go duly noted.
Old 08-23-04, 05:27 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another vote for this movie. A top notch Samurai film that I do feel is overlooked because of when it came out.

I am not sure if it is what Cardiac161 was trying to say, but it is overlooked because of the time frame it came out. It came when many felt Japanese films had lost their quality. (in the least they had lost a lot of their budgets) I don't think he was talking about American films.
Old 08-27-04, 11:23 PM
Registered

Here's the amazon link http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...1XAKC4/dvdtalk
Old 08-27-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cheaper here: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=VMG188427

Of course, i'll be waiting for DDD's next coupon before picking it up.
Old 08-28-04, 02:53 PM

Re: Incredible movie - K.Fukasaku's Shogun's Samurai

Originally posted by Cardiac161

I realize some of you may have already seen this one but I cannot believe that a movie like this, considering it was made back in 1978, would hold so much power and intensity in its story.
i think you might have typed this and then realised what youve said... now this thread probably wont contain much discussion about this great film : instead you will get people posting to say "what a daft comment"... shame.
Old 08-28-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What I think about most when I think of this film is a short conversation I had with my wife right afterward. I'd stayed up late to watch the film and when I got in bed my wife woke up. She asked me what I'd watched and when I told her "a samarai flick" she asked, "did it have a happy ending?" As I responded, she began answering her own question, and although we'd never discussed it before, we both blurted out in unison "Do they ever?"

This "two minds thinking alike" bit was topped a couple days later when I was recounting an episode of "Dinner for Five" to my wife and I said "you know that one actress" expecting her to seek more info, but instead she guessed without knowing anything more about the show than who the host was, "the one from Chasing Amy?" Which was exactly right!