Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the deal with koreandvds.com being out of stock on everything?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-19-04, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just been able to region-free my player and wanted to start picking up some discs that have better releases overseas. Japan is pretty expensive, so I started poking around koreandvds.com since I had ordered some of the Superbits from them when they first went on sale. To my surprise (which eventually turned into frustration) just about everything I went to look for was listed as Sold Out or Out of Stock. I understand that this company isn't Amazon and can't stock multiple copies of everything, but they seem like they almost have NOTHING! I'd love to spend some money there, but I can't find anything to spend it on. Does anyone have any long term experience with them and know anything about their stocking policies? Do they get replacement stock frequently? I emailed them about this but haven't heard anything from them. Any insight would be appriciated.

Cliff
Old 08-19-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Not sure about their stocking policies, but their prices and specials are sometimes hard to beat.

I usually check their Pre-order section first to see what's coming in. The only problem with buying a title early is the constant price fluctuations.

To answer your question, the constant OOS status probably indicates that Koreandvds has a pretty large customer-base and some difficulty meeting the demand.
Old 08-19-04, 09:16 PM

It also has to do with how Korean companies produces their DVDs. You've basically got waves of production. See, in the US, the print run is fairly huge, so Amazon can always get more copies, so it's not really obvious when the company makes more copies. In Korea, it's not so big. So, if a store is sold out, it has to wait until the company makes more copies of the DVD. Usually it takes about six or seven months for another print run.
Old 08-20-04, 09:08 AM

Re: What is the deal with koreandvds.com being out of stock on everything?

Originally posted by CliffStephenson
Does anyone have any long term experience with them and know anything about their stocking policies?Cliff
I have ordered form them 5-6 tmes in the last couple of years and have always been pleased with the price and service.

I generally put a couple of Korean DVDs in my cart and then go peruse the many special sale sections to see what else I might want to throw in.

My last order was only a couple of weeks ago. I had wanted to throw in Cat People (better than the R1 release IIRC) and it said "out of stock." I was disappointed b/c I really like this movie and it was a good price. But the next day I checked again and there it was! So, now I have it.

Take home message? Wait, I guess, but check YesAsia b/c they also have good prices and selection for Korean DVDs.