Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bright Future (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-11-04, 11:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have seen this listed over at Diabolik DVD for sale and was curious to know if any one has seen this film.

Bright Future

I think there is theatrical US release slated for the possilbe near future.

If not, I hope Nicheflix could consider renting this out.
Old 08-11-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been eyeing this the last few times I have ordered from both DVDAsian and Diabolik. I really want to see it, I just wonder how good it is.

Anyone have a review?
Old 08-11-04, 11:19 AM

Bright Future (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Japan) ****

No doubt, this is Kiyoshi Kurosawa's warmest and most hopeful depiction of humanity, even though the plot involves murder and suicide. The relationship between the protagonist, Yuji Niimura (played excellently by Jo Odagiri) and his friend, played by the currently ubiquitous Tadanobu Asano, is strangely believable and touching, as is the subsequent story between Nimura and Shinichiro, the friend's father. And the glowing, amorphous jellyfish is a perfect symbol of hopes and dreams, bright and untouchable. The film raises some issues along the way, including the emptiness of living daily without purpose, the way people look upon others and judge them as normal or abnormal, and the malaise of youth as the representation of the lost future. Ultimately, this opaque yet brilliantly entrancing film is along the best tradition of Japanese self-examination, such as the equally maligned Kore-Eda's "Distance".
Old 08-11-04, 11:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Bright Future (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Japan) ****

No doubt, this is Kiyoshi Kurosawa's warmest and most hopeful depiction of humanity, even though the plot involves murder and suicide. The relationship between the protagonist, Yuji Niimura (played excellently by Jo Odagiri) and his friend, played by the currently ubiquitous Tadanobu Asano, is strangely believable and touching, as is the subsequent story between Nimura and Shinichiro, the friend's father. And the glowing, amorphous jellyfish is a perfect symbol of hopes and dreams, bright and untouchable. The film raises some issues along the way, including the emptiness of living daily without purpose, the way people look upon others and judge them as normal or abnormal, and the malaise of youth as the representation of the lost future. Ultimately, this opaque yet brilliantly entrancing film is along the best tradition of Japanese self-examination, such as the equally maligned Kore-Eda's "Distance".
re: Distance, I thought it was an interesting film, but one really has to focus on the story - challenging is an understatement to describe 'Distance'. and the ending... that threw me for a loop.
Old 08-11-04, 11:37 AM

Yes, DISTANCE is a difficult film. But it is also a truly rewarding film for the observant and the patient. A true masterpiece. After all, finding the true identity of the main protagonist is a puzzle in itself.

BTW, yes, BRIGHT FUTURE is coming to the theaters August 29th, first in NY.
Old 08-11-04, 12:11 PM

this is a korean issue : a direct port of the japanese release but cheaper. you can buy it directly from korea at places like www.koreandvds.com ... as well as kiyoshi kurosawas recent "doppelganger" ... i have "bright future" but havent watched it yet... mixed reviews, but having said that ive really enjoyed all kurosawa films up til now ... and all of them have have mixed reactions which i think is a good thing rather than bad!...
Old 08-11-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rented the movie, and I must say that I was not exactly impressed.
Nothing really stood out, and nothing really happened. I was expecting much more.

I rented the Region 0 Japanese Disc (It is R-0 not R-2, the real deal)
and the transfer seemed like a direct digital transfer, looked almost too much like you were watching a home-made movie.
Old 08-12-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This way my first experience in viewing a film by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. I can certainly see that someone would appreciate the film as Grimfarrow did, however I'm more in manicsounds camp on this one. Bright Future is by no means a bad film; it simply did not strike a chord with me. I found it to be just a hair too slow yet not uneventful. I can't honestly say that I was bored but ultimately I felt the film just sort of fizzled out. I'd like to think that I can appreciate quieter films (watched "The Man on the Train" last night and really savored the experience), however Bright Future was just too subtle for my tastes. I did pretty much pick up on what the film was trying to convey but in the end I found the experience rather forgettable and I came away unmoved.
Old 08-12-04, 07:53 AM

See, to me L'HOMME DU TRAIN is hardly a "quiet" film. This is a Patrice Leconte film after all. He's a much, much more commercial director than Kiyoshi Kurosawa. BRIGHT FUTURE certainly is not a commercial film, and as such its opaque storyline, strange jumps in timeline (which is very similar to Kore-Eda's DISTANCE), and completely non-judgemental filmmaking is mostly for viewers who are willing to put more effort in while viewing it.

Same thing goes for Naomi Kawase's SHARA. Japan has produced some stunning works lately.
Old 08-12-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's only in the last couple of years or so that I've developed a measurable interest in films other than commercial Hollywood fare (or classic Hollywood Westerns/war/etc.). As such I'm sort of a work-in-progess (just went region-free a few months back). Just wanted to include this as sort of a frame in which to view my take on Bright Future.

As was the case with "Bright Future", "The Man on the Train" was my first experience with Patrice Leconte's work. I was impressed enough (and curious too since DVDTalker pro-bassoonist is such a champion of the fillm) that I'll be picking up "The Girl on the Bridge" sometime soon.

Grimfarrow and/or others, what did you think of Kurosawa's "Doppelganger"? I've got that one too.
Old 08-12-04, 10:23 AM

Don't get me wrong - I like Patrice Leconte. He's usually a consistent director, though he should slow down his output at times, especially considering his recent dreck such as LOVE STREET. His films from MONSIEUR HIER to THE WIDOW OF ST.PIERRE are all very commendable.

The problem is that even though he's good, he's also rather unremarkable. He doesn't experiment much like Leos Carax or Olivier Assayas, and he's not an auteur like Claire Denis. It's easy to enjoy his films, but it's also not that hard to forget him, in light of heavier, more cerebral competitors. THE GIRL ON THE BRIDGE, though, is pretty darn wonderful.

---------

Back to Kurosawa, I still haven't seen DOPPELGANGER, unfortunately. But if you want to know more about his works, you should really start with these three films: CHARISMA, CURE and KAIRO. CURe is really where you should have started, as BRIGHT FUTURE is perhaps his most difficult work yet. It's out in R1.
Old 08-13-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recently added "The Widow of St. Pierre" to my to-buy list. At the time it was more due to the cast and story, now that I have some experience with the director I'm more confident in making a blind-buy.

As for K. Kurosawa, appreciate the input, actually the titles that I find even more intriguing are "Serpent's Path" and "Eyes of the Spider". Anyone seen these two? Have they ever been released on DVD (hopefully not only expensive Japanese versions)?
Old 08-19-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There's an interesting review of Bright Future and overview of Kurosawa's work over at Senses of Cinema that's worth a look.

Do I Exist?”:The Unbearable Blankness of Being in Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Bright Future
Old 08-19-04, 01:15 PM

I saw this at a film festival last year, and thought it was interesting up to a point (the jellyfish were the real stars of the film!); much prefer l'homme du train, though!.
I think there are a couple of different versions of this film - the I saw was nearly 2hrs, but I think the one shown at Cannes was about 90mins?

Dazza.
Old 08-19-04, 01:59 PM

[
As for K. Kurosawa, appreciate the input, actually the titles that I find even more intriguing are "Serpent's Path" and "Eyes of the Spider". Anyone seen these two? Have they ever been released on DVD (hopefully not only expensive Japanese versions)?
bingo... they have been out on dvd in japan : no subtitles though. i am waiting for official releases elsewhere - but theres good boots available on ebay of both for pretty reasonable prices...
Old 08-27-04, 11:56 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by logboy
i am waiting for official releases elsewhere - but theres good boots available on ebay of both for pretty reasonable prices...
</small>I'm glad you're waiting but please don't lead others into topic of conversation that Geoff - and others - has time and again said have no place on this board.

Thank you for your unsterstanding and co-operation.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 08-27-04, 11:59 AM

bingo... they have been out on dvd in japan : no subtitles though. i am waiting for official releases elsewhere - but theres good boots available on ebay of both for pretty reasonable prices...
the moderator misunderstood what i wrote : i didnt intend to promote bootlegs, i was saying the only available options are bootlegs - which is something entirely different. though i agreee it can be infered as promotion...
Old 08-27-04, 12:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
the moderator misunderstood what i wrote [...]
</small>Um, no.

Time and again bootleg discussions have been ruled out of order here.

Saying you don't propose to buy any but that there are some good ones on eBay remains a no-no.

Although I do not think further clarification is required on either side, any continuing dialogue on the matter should be conducted by email.

Thank you.
Old 08-28-04, 07:43 PM

If not, I hope Nicheflix could consider renting this out.
Akarui Mirai (Bright Future)