Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

best multiregion/region free player for less than $200 [merged]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

best multiregion/region free player for less than $200 [merged]

Old 06-14-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for an idiot-proof region-free player

My parents want a region-free DVD player to be able to watch foreign films, mostly Korean movies. They don't want the hassle of having to input codes each time to watch a region-free movie - they just want to put in a disc, hit play, and enjoy the movie.

So what kind of easy-to-use yet reliable player would you recommend? They don't want something that's cheap and will break down for at least another 2 years. They are willing to pay up to $150. They have an analog NTSC TV with no external speakers, so prog scan is not a crucial feature. But I guess it couldn't hurt - if and when their current TV breaks down they're sure to buy a HDTV.

I've seen a lot of threads that talk about hacking a dvd player to make it region-free, but I'm interested in something that'll work for them out-of-the-box & hassle-free. Suggestions on what and where to buy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-14-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Usually the hack is just a few digit code inputted through the remote control. It is very simple and you can do it or walk them through it easily. I don't know of any players that are region free out of the box unless you buy a pre-modded one.
Old 06-14-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would suggest what I have... a Toshiba 3900 or, if you can't find one, a 4900. They are easily hacked and you only have to do it once. There are a few threads about these players if you do a search.

3900:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
4900:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=507846

There are other places to get them cheaper, if you do a little searching...
Old 06-14-04, 03:24 PM

If you're interested, I have an unused Philips 727 progressive scan DVD player w/the region hack already done. It plays all regions & converts PAL-to-NTSC smoothly. Bought it for my parents at Christmas & it has been sitting in the box ever since. They decided they didn't need it. I'll offer it for $50 plus $8 UPS Ground shipping. E-mail me. I was going to put it up on eBay, but will wait to see if you're interested. Check out my feedback at eBay if you'd like--my eBay ID is bu68.
Old 06-14-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed that www.220-electronics.com sells region free dvd players. The JVC XV-N44SL they are selling look nice. Are these different from what you guys are suggesting? It says something about "hardware chip modification"?
Old 06-14-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Toshiba 4900 (and 3900) is a 1-time hack. You burn a file on to a CD, put it in the player and a window pops up where you choose the region. Choose "0" and you have a region-free player for life.

I have the 3900 and have tested region 2 and region 3 discs on it and both worked fine. I can play both NTSC and PAL, though I noticed on 1 PAL disc, the black-widescreen bar had a little jagged edge, but its hardly noticeable.
Old 06-14-04, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Joshic
I noticed that www.220-electronics.com sells region free dvd players. The JVC XV-N44SL they are selling look nice. Are these different from what you guys are suggesting? It says something about "hardware chip modification"?
That is what i meant in my above post. It is a modded player. The ones people are mentioning in this thread are players that you need to do a one time "hack" on. Generally the modded ones are more expensive than a remote hack one.
Old 06-15-04, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by dvdjoy
If you're interested, I have an unused Philips 727 progressive scan DVD player w/the region hack already done. It plays all regions & converts PAL-to-NTSC smoothly. Bought it for my parents at Christmas & it has been sitting in the box ever since. They decided they didn't need it. I'll offer it for $50 plus $8 UPS Ground shipping. E-mail me. I was going to put it up on eBay, but will wait to see if you're interested. Check out my feedback at eBay if you'd like--my eBay ID is bu68.
I have a phillips 727 and find it to be a pretty sweet player. I didn't want to mess around with buring cd to refresh the bios, hacking chips, etc. The phillips is literally idiot-proof.
Old 06-15-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
That is what i meant in my above post. It is a modded player. The ones people are mentioning in this thread are players that you need to do a one time "hack" on. Generally the modded ones are more expensive than a remote hack one.
i have to say that even though these are hardware modded players at 220 electronics thier prices rock..cheapest Ive found them. i bought a jvc from them last year and its still going strong..plays every region Ive thrown at it

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 06-15-04 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-15-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvdjoy
Thanks for the offer, but I just don't feel comfortable conducting transactions with unknown people online... I've had some bad experiences in the past, so I don't buy anything online anymore unless I can pay by credit card.
Old 06-15-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
agian Im very happy with the jvc i got from them a year ago. I would not hesitate to recommend them..
Old 06-15-04, 12:44 PM

Joshic, that's completely understandable. You could opt for "buyer protection" when paying via credit card at PayPal. It costs a bit more, but you'll have peace of mind. Good luck finding your DVD player, wherever you end up getting it.
Old 06-15-04, 03:06 PM

noticed that www.220-electronics.com sells region free dvd players. The JVC XV-N44SL they are selling look nice. Are these different from what you guys are suggesting? It says something about "hardware chip modification"?
Lasersedge.com sells the same player for $10 less with free shipping.

JVC XV-N40B
Old 06-15-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Malata. The 580 model.

It's all region out of the box. Hence it's truly idiot proof.
Old 06-15-04, 04:27 PM

Malata players are also known to have the best PAL-to-NTSC conversion via the Mediamatics chip they use. Not sure about the 580, but I know the N996 & 520 did.
Old 06-15-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the JVC uses Mediamatics chip as well.
Old 06-15-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I could have sworn I already typed this somewhere but can't for the life of me find it.

Are there any multi-disk region-free players out there? I usually load up my current player with 5 disks and leave them there for the week.
Old 06-16-04, 02:30 AM

I've had a few and settled on Malata. But if you are really going to play different formats and regions and audios nothing that I've seen is "idiot-proof". Tweeking is always necessary and the manuals are useless. Boards like this are always helpful. Multi-system TVs help but there goes your budget. If you want to watch everything it ain't easy.
Old 06-16-04, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Fandango
I think the JVC uses Mediamatics chip as well.
JVC does use the mediamatics chip. Personally I would rather have a JVC (which I do) than a Malata.
Old 06-20-04, 07:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just got a Toshiba SD4900 and am amazed at how good it is. I also have a Malata 520 for use with my projector.

By the way, the auto play feature is the best thing since sliced bread. The player checks for the longest file and starts with it. So on HKL DVD's where you must sit through 9 hours of warnings, you are saved! It goes right to the movie.

electronics-expo.com has them in stock. Highly recommended.
Old 06-22-04, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
Just got a Toshiba SD4900 and am amazed at how good it is. I also have a Malata 520 for use with my projector.

By the way, the auto play feature is the best thing since sliced bread. The player checks for the longest file and starts with it. So on HKL DVD's where you must sit through 9 hours of warnings, you are saved! It goes right to the movie.

electronics-expo.com has them in stock. Highly recommended.
are u talking about the sd-4900 or the malata 520 that has the auto play feature that bypassed the 9 hrs of warnings?

are all dvd players have the auto play feature that bypassed those fbi warnings?
Old 06-25-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I finally took the plunge and ordered up a Toshiba SD-4900! It should arrive mid-next week. Now the hard part, selecting from all the movies out there to play on it.
Old 06-25-04, 06:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The Toshiba has that feature. It skips all FBI warnings!
Old 06-25-04, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by chente
I could have sworn I already typed this somewhere but can't for the life of me find it.

Are there any multi-disk region-free players out there? I usually load up my current player with 5 disks and leave them there for the week.
I have a JVC XV-FA902 region hacked/PAL converting 7 DVD changer. I bought it from HKFLIX a couple years back and it's easily the best DVD player I've ever owned.
Old 06-26-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts
I've only had my Philips 727 for about over 2 months now, but it's been a very good investment. The remote hack took all of a couple seconds to do, and it keeps the hack even if you turn it off/unplug it. Also I just recently bought 2 Region 2/PAL DVDs and it does the conversion perfectly . Happy hunting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.