Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Best SCI-FI/FANTASY Film of 2004: NOCHNOI DOZOR

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Best SCI-FI/FANTASY Film of 2004: NOCHNOI DOZOR

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Best SCI-FI/FANTASY Film of 2004: NIGHT WATCH

I know a lot of you guys in here are obsessed with cool foreign movies and are eagerly looking forward to a good stylish foreign sci-fi movie such as CASSHERN and CUTIE HONEY. So stop what you are doing and go to

www.rbcmp3.com/store/prod...&sku=35108

and order NOCHNOI DOZOR (NIGHT WATCH) now!!!!

NIGHT WATCH is a new Russian sci-fi/fantasy/action movie that is based on the Russian sci-fi/fantasy trilogy novels by Sergey Lukjanenko!!....second, it is the first contemporary commercial marketable Russian movie that can be enjoyed all over the world. Third, it's not another dreary Russian drama or low-budgeted B movie (The Cukkoo, House of Fools, Brat 1 & 2, Lilly-4-Ever, The Return, Father & Son, Anti-Killer 1 & 2, Tycoon). Fourth, it has a very complex story that integrates vampires, good vs. evil, prophecies, witches, spells, time funnels, and curses all integrated into one storyline. (It's got to be watched a couple times to totally get it since it's an original vampire movie). And fifth, the movie has the best special effects, action, and the best directing of the year from abroad (Not USA).

This movie is like a combination of BLADE, LORD OF THE RINGS, UNDERWORLD, HARRY POTTER (an adult version) directed by JEAN-PIERRE JEUNET & TERRY GILLIAM. If you like any of those movies or directors, I have a feeling you will love this movie! It is this year's AVALON, a total surprise action/sci-fi movie out of the blue and it just came out on DVD yesterday. Furthermore, this movie is the first of a trilogy - the second movie is coming out in 2005, and the final one out in 2006.

THE DVD is NTSC, REGION 1, ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN, RUSSIAN DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1, and has ENGLISH SUBTITLES.
The video, audio, and English subtitles are of excellent quality! There are a few extras like filmographies and the trailer, but all in Russian...

MOVIE: 9
DVD Video: 9
DVD Audio: 9
EXTRAS: 5
OVERALL: 10

Last edited by toddly6666; 04-06-06 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 08:47 AM

Screenshots and some short clips from the movie.

-JR
Old 08-05-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: The Best SCI-FI/FANTASY Film of 2004: NOCHNOI DOZOR

Originally posted by toddly6666

Third, it's not another dreary Russian drama or low-budgeted B movie (The Cukkoo, House of Fools, Brat 1 & 2, The Return, Father & Son, Anti-Killer 1 & 2, Tycoon).

....and fifth, perhaps you are too biased. The Return was one of the best films I saw recently (honored in Venice with a speacial award) as is Father & Son.....though not as good as The Return.

....another dreary Russian drama...

Pro-B
Old 08-05-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dreary

PRO-BASSNIST,
The Cukkoo, Lilya-4-Ever, and The Return were good movies, but typical Russian movies....i love old Russian movies, but I do love change & variety too and something far from drama, dreariness/misery, and communist/russian themes...the majority of Russian films after the 80s are dreary and amateurish. Im not talking about the one or two good russian films per year that play in the West (such as this year's The Return)....

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-05-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be nice if the link to buy it, worked...
Old 08-05-04, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
It would be nice if the link to buy it, worked...
Try this link.
Old 08-05-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is one loooooong trailer!
Old 08-05-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this trailer awile back, looks very weird but Im definitely down to give it a try.
Old 08-05-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hardtack
Try this link.
Sweet! Thanks.

Now I just to find something else to order with it.
Old 08-05-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
So if you buy the dvd, you can actually download the full-length, feature film in wmv format....interesting
Old 08-06-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLASHBURN...

FLASHBURN...if you want something else to order from that site, order the BARBER OF SIBERIA DVD...it's one of the other best recent Russian movies, that hasn't gotten released yet in the USA....I have the PAL Special Edition which is of excellent video and audio quality and a bunch of extras....I don't know if you have a multi-region player, but i think there is a PAL and NTSC dvd version of this disc, both with English subtitles...
Old 08-06-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lilja 4-Ever is Swedish...
Old 08-07-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: FLASHBURN...

FLASHBURN...if you want something else to order from that site, order the BARBER OF SIBERIA DVD...it's one of the other best recent Russian movies, that hasn't gotten released yet in the USA....I have the PAL Special Edition which is of excellent video and audio quality and a bunch of extras....I don't know if you have a multi-region player, but i think there is a PAL and NTSC dvd version of this disc, both with English subtitles...
The Barber of Siberia has been available for quite some time now through DVDASIAN....NTSC region all. No need to have a multi-region player.....

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=bHziy76G

....and Smurfy is 100% correct...

Pro-B
Old 08-07-04, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the direct link to buy it: LINKY

The trailer looks pretty cool, but the loooong preview looks kinda crappy, shot on video. I might give it a shot.

Any recommendations for other Russian sci-fi and/or horror movies on DVD? Thanks!
Old 08-07-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might check out more reviews at imdb before rushing out to buy this. They were not all good.
Old 08-09-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lily-4-Ever definitely feels like more a Russian film than a Swedish one though, besides being a Swedish production...It's like calling AVALON a Japanese film, when it's really a Polish Sci-fi film evevthough it may be a Japanese production, directed by a Japanese director...

INDYCHOHIBA, there's always bad reviews for every good review - it's an action/vampire/fantasy movie anyway...not the type of film that's gonna be on any 100 Best film lists...The main thing is that this is a groundbreaking film for new Russian cinema. And dude, You've got every single dvd in the planet, the bad reviewed ones and the good reviewed ones. According to your dvd collection, I have a feeling you will like it..just buy it!! 25 dollars is nothing!

DVDDUDE, I don't think there are any other new horror/sci-fi russian movies except for NOCHNOI DOZOR...well, any Russian drama movie is like watching a psychological horror movie...

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-09-04 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDDUDE, I don't think there are any other new horror/sci-fi russian movies except for NOCHNOI DOZOR...well, any Russian drama movie is like watching a psychological horror movie...
Thanks. After asking the question, I searched and searched online and even looked through every Russian DVD on that site with English subs. I came to that conclusion.

At $25, this would be tied with my most expensive single DVD. (I'm a bargain hunter.) I'm still thinking about ordering it.
Old 08-09-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

INDYCHOHIBA, there's always bad reviews for every good review - it's an action/vampire/fantasy movie anyway...not the type of film that's gonna be on any 100 Best film lists...The main thing is that this is a groundbreaking film for new Russian cinema. And dude, You've got every single dvd in the planet, the bad reviewed ones and the good reviewed ones. According to your dvd collection, I have a feeling you will like it..just buy it!! 25 dollars is nothing!
First, thanks for bringing this film to people's attention. That is what makes this forum interesting and allows us to discover new cinema that we otherwise might not come across.

But to clarify my previous comments, I was not intending to dissuade people from buying this DVD. I just wanted to warn them to consider checking out some additional reviews before making a blind purchase. Not everyone who has seen this film feels as strongly about it as you. Some may also not be as concerned about it being groundbreaking relative to Russian cinema as they are about it being a good film overall.

As you mentioned, I am not as discerning about my purchases as others and so will probably pick it up at some point.

Has anyone else seen it yet?
Old 08-10-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

INDYCOHIBA,
No need to clarify, I totally agree with ya!
Old 08-10-04, 11:54 AM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
25 bucks? You must be kidding it is the major rip-off I've ever seen. It can be bought here for just 199 rubles that is 7$ http://www.bolero.ru/product-2917615...ночной%20дозор or here for 299 rubles (10 bucks) http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/1818797/ Dunno about overseas shipment costs though...
It is a true PAL version, coded zone 5 without any doubtful conversions. As a witness of truly amazing conversion capabilities of local "experts", I can only guess what the NTSC verison will be like. Of course, You've got to have a multi-region player.

MOVIE: 9
DVD Video: 9
DVD Audio: 9
EXTRAS: 5
OVERALL: 10
It is the most biased marks I've ever seen A 9 for the sound seems too much overestimated. The center channel is a real collapse. Sometimes the dialogue becomes incomprehensible even for me. Some friends told me that they had to put on English subs in order to understand what was going on screen.

A 2-disc SE is to come later this year.
Old 08-10-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PELAYU, it sounds like the quality of the PAL version of this movie sucks...since i dont speak russian, i can't comment on the clarity of the dialogue, but the balance between the surround sound speaker effects/subwoofer and dialogue is mixed excellently so that one doesn't have to lower the volume during the action scenes (as I have to do on most HK and Korean dvds).

And if one doesn't live in Russia, I wouldn't order anything from an online store stationed in Russia. Im happy to pay an extra amount for the security from non-Russian online stores...I've lived in Moscow and I ain't giving anyone my credit card number unless it's a famous business that has been secure for at least 20 years!
Old 08-11-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There was a small article on the film in the Washington Post this morning.

For Russian Filmmakers, Blockbuster Heralds a New Era

By Sonia Oxley
Reuters
Wednesday, August 11, 2004; Page C10

MOSCOW -- Russia's fastest-grossing film has all the ingredients of a Hollywood blockbuster but is outpacing them in the box office and was made for a fraction of the price.

Blood, action and suspense helped "Night Watch" rake in $13 million in the first three weeks after it was released July 8, almost as much as the last "Lord of the Rings" film made in two months in Russia.

The previous best-performing Russian film made $3 million.

"This is a big movie for a big audience," said director Timur Bekmambetov.

It may be a big movie, but the $4 million budget is small.

"In the United States it would have cost at least 10 times more," Bekmambetov said.

Bekmambetov says the film -- the first part of a trilogy based on books by Sergei Lukyanenko -- has benefited from a revolution in the film market, which suffered from a loss of state funds after the collapse of communism.

"The film market is growing in Russia. If our movie had appeared a year ago, we would have made maybe 30 or 50 percent less in the box office," he said.

Russia's box-office figures are still paltry compared with other countries, mainly because there are only about 400 cinemas and film piracy is rampant.

But Bekmambetov said this was changing, with about 40 movie houses opening each year and filmmakers getting better at distribution.

"We didn't have a distribution system during the '90s -- it was destroyed by perestroika," he said, referring to then-President Mikhail Gorbachev's policy to reform the Soviet Union.

"Night Watch" was shown at about 80 percent of cinemas, he said.

The film pits good against evil, features vampires and stars some of Russia's top actors.

Fans of the books have complained that it bears little resemblance to the original and many say the product placement -- lingering shots of coffee and mobile phones -- is distracting.

But others heralded it as a new dawn for the industry.

"It's our film -- a Russian film. It's a new stage for Russian films," said Sergei, a Moscow security guard.

The past 12 months have been fruitful for Russian films.

Last year, director Andrei Zvyagintsev's debut "The Return" won two Golden Lion prizes at the Venice film festival. It was made on an even tighter budget, about $400,000, but was not a big box-office success.

Bekmambetov says Russia's success at film festivals has failed to translate into ticket sales because the films have not been aimed at a wider audience.

That is what sets his film apart, he says. The special effects compare with those in Hollywood blockbusters such as "The Matrix," "Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter," and, like those films, it has broad popular appeal.

Hollywood has swooped down on the film, with firms offering to hold talks on possible future cooperation, Bekmambetov said.

Any joint project with Hollywood would concern the final part of the trilogy since the second "Night Watch" film is almost complete and scheduled to be released in March.

Bekmambetov hoped the films will help Russians shrug off a cultural inferiority complex in which they see foreign lifestyles as better than their own.

"When we produce famous Russian movies, good Russian movies . . . Russia's streets and Russia's reality will become fashionable. People will be proud that they have this kind of chair, this kind of wall or car."

© 2004 The Washington Post Company
Old 08-23-04, 05:32 PM

Has anyone purchased this DVD, and seen/heard the quality of the transfer?

I highly doubt a NTSC version will get released, but maybe a R2 -- if it successfully plays in Western Europe.

Although, if a Hollywood studio pumps funds into the third film -- it might not come to the States in its original running time.

As we've seen with HERO, and countless other films that are "too slow" for American audiences. I guess we really need those rapidly paced films like LOTR:Return Of The King
Old 08-23-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chuck Tatum
Has anyone purchased this DVD, and seen/heard the quality of the transfer?

I highly doubt a NTSC version will get released, but maybe a R2 -- if it successfully plays in Western Europe.

Although, if a Hollywood studio pumps funds into the third film -- it might not come to the States in its original running time.

As we've seen with HERO, and countless other films that are "too slow" for American audiences. I guess we really need those rapidly paced films like LOTR:Return Of The King
http://www.rbcmp3.com/store/product....=850&sku=35108 - that version is NTSC... they have both a PAL version and an NTSC version. I think I'll be picking it up actually.
Old 08-24-04, 05:16 PM
Cool New Member

Got this movie yesterday, and have started watching it...

I'll let you know what i think after i have finished, but so far so good! interesting storyline...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.