DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Best version of Drunken Master II? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/378468-best-version-drunken-master-ii.html)

chente 08-04-04 07:43 PM

Best version of Drunken Master II?

Ok, I'm dumb. I've been looking around to find the best available version for this film but can't figure it out. I know the R1 is crap. Can anyone help a brother out? I needs to own this one.

Rypro 525 08-04-04 09:27 PM

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.821/qx/details.htm
20 bucks
and here's some info
URGENT NOTE: One of Jackie Chan’s best films, “Drunken Master 2” was released theatrically as “The Legend of Drunken Master.” What is the difference between the two versions? The USA version of the film is only available with an English dubbed soundtrack. In addition the end scene of film has been edited, reportedly because Disney/Dimension found the original ending "tasteless", which explains why the US version of the film ends so abruptly. In addition, the original musical score, considered by many critics to be the best of any Jackie Chan film, has been replaced. This Thakral DVD features the film in its original Cantonese language and is fully uncut. The American version is presented in 2.35:1 Anamorphic Letterboxed whereas this version is 1.78:1 Letterboxed.

its non anamorphic, and possibly cropped but better then a dubbbed, rescored with rap music, and ending cut like hte miramax version.

RyoHazuki 08-04-04 10:04 PM

I own the VHS of the mirimax version and I don't recall any rap music. I'm pretty sure the audio is different but it is definatley not rap music.

Also can someone tell me what the missing scene is like?

looney2n 08-04-04 10:37 PM

If I remember correctly, Jackie Chan's character went blind or crazy from drinking too much industrial alcohol.

young 08-04-04 10:55 PM

the ending was dumb and ridiculous. i'm glad they chopped it off.

chente 08-05-04 12:57 AM

So basically there isn't a good version available. Frown.

young 08-05-04 09:38 AM

yup. i have both the US and HK versions. b/c i pretty much know the dialog now, i just watch the HK version. but, really, the US version is so cheap and since it's mostly action anyway, i think you can get away w/ the US version.

chente 08-05-04 11:09 AM

It is astounding to me that this movie, which is one of the best and classic kung-fu movies of all time, can't get a decent release. I'll stick with the Shaw Bros Celestial disks and wait for a better version of DM II.

divemaster 08-05-04 02:19 PM

Originally posted by looney2n
If I remember correctly, Jackie Chan's character went blind or crazy from drinking too much industrial alcohol.
Yes, the last scene of the movie has Jackie cross-eyed, drooling, and staggering in the over-the-top way he is known for. It's a silly scene that I guess Miramax found offensive.

I have the Thakral version, myself b/c it just grates on me to watch kung-fu with an English dub.

On the other hand, I believe the English dub is Chan's own voice, while the Cantonese language version is dubbed by another actor. So, taking into account the cropping issue, you just have to pick your poison.

Matt Stevens 08-05-04 02:53 PM

There is no good version of DMII on DVD. They all are complete shite for one reason or another.

cultshock 08-05-04 04:42 PM

It's a damn shame too. I really hope that a definitive DVD of this great film shows up eventually, but knowing Disney, I'm not counting on it anytime soon. :( Kinda bad timing, if the US version had been released by Dimension several years earlier, we might have at least had a Criterion LD for the film, like there was for SUPERCOP.

chente 08-05-04 04:44 PM

Oh well, I guess I'll get the HKLegends version of A Chinese Ghost Story instead this week.

pat00139 08-09-04 02:27 AM

Yeah, it really sucks. The Thrakal DVD is the best, in my opinion. The cropping doesn't really hurt the action, and you get the movie uncut and with the original music and language, which is always nice.

chente 08-11-04 11:26 AM

The Thrakal version is being advertised for sale in the latest DVDTalk newsletter from HKFlix for $14.xx for those that are interested.

Matt Stevens 08-12-04 07:34 AM

I have to speak up and say that I think the Thrakal DVD is a POS. Cropped and highly compressed, it looks like garbage on larger screens. If you have a 27" TV or smaller, it may be fine. But anything bigger, well, consider yourself warned.

:(

chente 08-12-04 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
I have to speak up and say that I think the Thrakal DVD is a POS. Cropped and highly compressed, it looks like garbage on larger screens. If you have a 27" TV or smaller, it may be fine. But anything bigger, well, consider yourself warned.

:(

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I just wait patiently for a decent version to show up. Its not like there aren't a ton of good Kung Fu movies out there that I don't own yet.

Numskull 08-15-04 06:30 PM

Originally posted by chente
I guess I just wait patiently for a decent version to show up.
There won't be one. It'll be a cold day in Hell before Miramaxe handles a Hong Kong film properly. The Thakral DVD may have a cropped picture but it is the only version that is even remotely acceptable.

elengineer 08-15-04 09:54 PM

My US$0.02...

there was a previous (and good) discussion on this very topic a while back...

Check this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=126448

Also, FYI, I quote from a post of mine in the thread made at the time:

Originally posted by elengineer
"Unfortunately, you have to compromise in some regard if you want a copy of this film on DVD. See following:

R1(US) Dimension DVD: Stunning picture quality, Original Aspect Ratio(2.35:1), really good surround sound, dubbed, re-done musical score, re-done sound effects, slightly cut

Thakral DVD: OK pic quality, non OAR (1.85:1), OK surround sound, original language tracks, electronic easy-to-read subtitles, original musical score, original sound effects, uncut.

Tai Seng VHS: horrible pic quality, OAR, VHS quality sound, original language, burned-in hard-to-read subtitles, original musical score, original sound effects, uncut. "

My recommendation is to grab both the Thakral version and the Dimension one. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and IMHO, neither is total garbage unworthy of a purchase.

The cropping on the Thakral disc is noticeable in spots (under-the-train fight) and the pic quality on the Dimension disc is *much* better. But, the obiliteration of the original soundtrack, addition of dubbing (which, IMHO wasn't a bad dub job), and especially the removal of all the 'rhythm' sound effects during the fights give an edge to the Thakral version.

See the previous thread for more details about this topic.