Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wong Kar Wai French DVD Boxset !!!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-25-04, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As 2046 will be shown in France in late Oct, a DVD boxset of 5 Wong Kar Wai films will be released in Nov by TF1 Video.

The films are Chungking Express, Ashes of Time, Happy Together, Days of Being Wild and Fallen Angels.

http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_news-8831-.php
Old 07-25-04, 04:36 PM

It seems odd that they'd exclude In the Mood for Love, but I'm always in favor of more WKW DVDs. I'm not all that pleased with Tarantino's ramblings about Chungking Express and I still don't have a DVD of Ashes of Time. I've read that the ones out there currently are terrible.
Old 07-26-04, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by bobstevens
It seems odd that they'd exclude In the Mood for Love, but I'm always in favor of more WKW DVDs. I'm not all that pleased with Tarantino's ramblings about Chungking Express and I still don't have a DVD of Ashes of Time. I've read that the ones out there currently are terrible.

TF1 already released a 2-disc version of ITMFL, prior to the Criterion release. It was quite nice.

I wonder if the new set will include English subs.
Old 07-26-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dleedlee
TF1 already released a 2-disc version of ITMFL, prior to the Criterion release. It was quite nice.

I wonder if the new set will include English subs.
The details on the original link (from the first post) only mention French subtitles.
Old 07-26-04, 11:55 AM

That's pretty much what I figured.
Old 07-26-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad, I like the little I've seen of WKW quite a bit...I would've been all over if it had English subs.
Old 07-26-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,388 Posts
Still very patiently waiting for a nice DVD of ASHES OF TIME (with English subs).
Old 07-27-04, 01:12 AM

My questions are, in order of importance:

1. Is Ashes of Time a new transfer?
2. Will it be subtitled in English?
Old 07-29-04, 06:36 PM

Ahem - did you actually bother to read the linked article? As marty pointed out, so far only French subs have been announced. As it also says, the box is still in the planning stage, so any specs would be preliminary (that's also why no extras have been announced).

And yes, the AOT is supposed to have a 16:9 transfer.

They also pretty much slam the Rolling Thunder R1/R3 Chungking Express DVD ...
Old 07-30-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by thalion

They also pretty much slam the Rolling Thunder R1/R3 Chungking Express DVD ...
I watched the R1 last night. The video isn't great but it is definitely watchable and I thought the disk was good overall.
Old 11-02-04, 06:19 PM

Any update on this? I have been trying to find out if there are English subs on this but my French is horrible.
Old 11-02-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,217 Likes on 811 Posts
There are only 4 films in this set. Saddly, Ashes of Time is not included.

Le pack Wong Kar-Wai ne contiendra que quatre (4) films de l’esthète chinois et non cinq comme nous l’annoncions récemment. Le film qui fait les frais de cette réduction inopinée n’est autre que Les Cendres du Temps.

Chacun des quatre films sera présenté dans un transfert anamorphique 16/9 compatible 4/3 au format respectif respecté. Les pistes sonores seront toutes en Dolby Stéréo 2.0, en chinois comme en français, excepté Nos Années Sauvages qui ne bénéficie pas de doublage. Les sous-titres français seront bien sûr au rendez-vous.

Au niveau des supplément, c'est un peu la déception avec seulement dans ce coffret 4-DVD des bande-annonces, un livret et des cartes collectors pour chacun des films.
No extras aside from trailers, a booklet, and some collector cards.
No english subs. Packaging is also different and isn't as nice as the original design.

Sorry, no Ashes of Time, no sale. I read a rumor that Ashes of Time did not get included because it will gets it's own special edition with a bunch of extras sometime in 2005.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?9447...=1&pyt=2&pyt=0

Last edited by eXcentris; 11-02-04 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
There are only 4 films in this set. Saddly, Ashes of Time is not included.

No extras aside from trailers, a booklet, and some collector cards.
No english subs. Packaging is also different and isn't as nice as the original design.

Sorry, no Ashes of Time, no sale. I read a rumor that Ashes of Time did not get included because it will gets it's own special edition with a bunch of extras sometime in 2005.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?9447...=1&pyt=2&pyt=0
Thanks for the help. I'm dissapointed. I guess, I'll have to get the Kino set.
Old 11-02-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No ASHES OF TIME? No English subs? Merde.
Old 11-02-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ashes of Time will be re-released in a director's cut next year.
Old 11-03-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts
That is very good to hear. I watched (well, if you can call it that) this from a DVD from Netflix, and it was one of the worst DVDs I have ever seen in my life. That is not a comment on the quality of the movie because the picture was so bad and obviously cropped that it was hard for me to find anything to enjoy in the movie. What is sad is that I was still able to find little nuggets in the film to appreciate, so I know a nice clean transfer in the original aspect ratio would probably do a long way to improve my enjoyment of the movie.
Old 11-03-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
...No English subs? Merde.
...why...?... it's a French release, for the French market (i.e France, Monaco, the Walloon part of Belgium, the French-speaking part of Switzerland, not forgetting Tahiti)...!... it's like a German, or an Italian, complaining that R1 DVDs don't sport German, or Italian, subs...

. . . . . .
Old 11-03-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...why...?... it's a French release, for the French market (i.e France, Monaco, the Walloon part of Belgium, the French-speaking part of Switzerland, not forgetting Tahiti)...!... it's like a German, or an Italian, complaining that R1 DVDs don't sport German, or Italian, subs...
I'm fully aware of that, I was just expressing disappointment for something that wouldn't have been totally out of the realm of possibility to happen. For example, it's not uncommon for, say, Japanese or Korean releases to have English subs, even though there aren't a hell of a lot of English speakers living in their markets either. So anything is possible, especially if a DVD company is interested in the export market for their product.
Old 11-03-04, 07:06 PM

I read the following will be released by by Tartan Video (R2) on January 25th, 2005. Hopefully they will be very nice editions.

Source DVDTimes.

============

Chinese Odyssey 2002
Hughely enjoyable fun directed by Jeff Lau and produced by Wong Kar-Wai. Tony Leung (Infernal Affairs; Hero) plans on marrying his sister to a handsome youth who’s really a princess in disguise, on the run with he brother from the stifling world of The Forbidden City. it’s a frantic mix of Monkey-style fable and Crouching Tiger spoof involving martial arts, identity changes and Shakespearean gender confusion. There’s even pastiches of Wong Kar-Wai’s own Ashes of Time and Chungking Express.
DVD extras: to be confirmed.

As Tears Go By (1988)
Wong Kar-Wai’s first feature is an atmospheric remake of Mean Streets. A debt collector’s desires is to lead a quieter life in the country are frustrated by his inability to escape his gangland loyalties. It stars Andy Lau (Infernal Affairs, House of Flying Daggers) and long-time collaborator Maggie Cheung (In The Mood For Love).
DVD extras: tbc

Days of Being Wild (1990)
A young man spend his time in Hong Kong drifting through a series of casual relationships, searching for his lost mother and chasing unfulfilled dreams and . Set in 1960 and multi-award winner at the Hong Kong film Awards, Wong Kar-Wai’s second feature captures his trademark richness of camerawork – lensed by Chris Doyle - and design with an all-star cast of Hong Kong superstars including Leslie Cheung, Andy Lau, Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung.
DVD extras: tbc
Old 11-04-04, 05:46 PM

Is the KINO set that recently came out have descent transfers?
Old 11-04-04, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Chuck Tatum
Is the KINO set that recently came out have descent transfers?
Yes, they have decent transfers. Check out my recent post in the DVD Review and recommended forum. link

I'm going to wait and see what the Tartan editions of Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By look like before buying the Kino set.