Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Immortel (Ad Vitam) French Sci Fi DVD [merged]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Immortel (Ad Vitam) French Sci Fi DVD [merged]

Old 07-24-04, 12:11 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Immortel (Ad Vitam) French Sci Fi DVD

I think this movie/trailer was discussed some months ago when it came out. It's got mixed reviews, but we'll all be able to judge for ourselves soon:

DVD release date: 27 October 2004

Below is a link to preorder

and there is a special box set if anyone can find out details about it also mentioned at fnac (looks expensive tho..)

HERE

(PS anyone heard about the CASSHERN DVD release date?)
Old 07-24-04, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been wanting to see this. The trailer looks pretty cool. I just hope the CGI doesn't look too cheesy.

Surprisingly, the DVD has English subtitles. Of course, they are for the hearing impaired. Hopefully they won't be like the wonky ones on the Director's Cut of My Sassy Girl (not the Edko).

Wonder what's so special about the very pricey collector's edition?

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-04, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've had this film's artwork as my laptop's desktop background for months. It's called God*Diva on what I have. I can't wait till this comes out. I'm more excited for Casshern, but this is another one that looks good. Immortel has the potential to be either really crappy or really good. I think I may wait and see if a cheaper DVD gets put out somewhere else.
Old 07-24-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used the same wallpaper for about a month.

Yeah, the price is a deal killer for the time being. I won't pay that much sight unseen.
Old 07-24-04, 12:33 PM

I see it has an English 5.1 soundtrack also; was this shot with French or English as the intended language? A friend of mine is an Enki Bilal freak, so I may just see if he picks it up.
Old 07-29-04, 06:39 PM
Cool New Member

UPDATE:

This dvd appears to have been released already in Russia of all countries!

i have seen it on a number of websites for sale and seems to be distributed by www.cpdvd.ru

Anyone know how to get hold of a copy (my russian is non exsistant!)

Last edited by squint; 07-29-04 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 05:22 AM

I think you can wait more a couple of month
For my part, i won't take the dvd
I advise you to try to have a look at the movie before buying it...
Story is fine but realisation can't follow...
I think that's better if you know that

Anyway, for the collector Edition :
Here what I know
It will be released, as for the regular version, on October 24 (or 27), don't remember though but we're not for 3 or 4 days, are we ?
I will have the
- 2 DVD set (the movie + bonus)
- the soundtrack CD (but i don't know yet if it is just some tracks or if it is also the complete soundtrack CD released in store)
- the book (since the original story of Immortel was released previously on 3 (french) comics books (drawed by Bilal), i don't know if this "book" include into the collector is a novel either one of the three comic books or even the whole three comic books

Actually, on all the websites i've gone, here is just what is said for this collector edition
IMMORTEL (AD-VITAM) (COFFRET ÉDITION 2095 INCLUANT LIVRE + BOF)
means :
Immortel (Ad-Vitam) Edition 2095 box including book and soundtrack

And i know there's some bonuses coming along the dvd

Hope this will help
Old 07-30-04, 06:17 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info.. Did you get an opportunity to see the movie? I'd love to hear your opinion..
Old 08-02-04, 08:28 AM

**** WARNING ****
MAY CONTENTS SPOILERS ;p

I did see the movie in theater

I think Bilal may be a wonderful cartoonist (since i have only seen his illustrations and not his talents as story maker, i can't be sure but since he is famous, i just guess), but as director, that's definitely not his job.
The movie is fine.
But just fine. No extra Wow, no extra Wonderful etc...
I think if the realisation could have a good director as for Fifth Element, the movie may be astonishing but here, it did not.
The movie is a mix between CG and live actor. The CG are in the main time very obvious but if you pay attention to the story, it does make sense so that's fine for me. I think it HAS to be this way.
One thing for sure. If you know Bilal's work, you can be sure that the movie is pretty close to the original story. Indeed, there's some change because you can't mention everything in the movie (not enough time), but Bilal works on it so I can be sure that the adaptation is very fidele.
For my part, this movie is my third encounter with Bilal works and i think that i don't like his stories but that's just my personnal opinion.
I think he's got a narration's rythm a little bit too slow...
Some sequences are very beautiful and as for any medium type movie, some others did not get my attention.
I don't remember if the movie was shot in English or in French intentionnaly, so i don't remember for the language of the DVD.

For me, i won't take the DVD because
- Realisation does not worth it
- Story is great but for me, there's a "but"...
- CGs are too obvious and too "CG" ... (i know, does not make sense but...)
- Rythm may be a little bit too slow.

I may take the DVD because
- I like Linda Hardy
- Interesting works for the mix between CG and human performance

Hope this helps
Old 08-02-04, 05:18 PM
Cool New Member

cool! thanks for the overview..

Guess i'll wait till the french websites have it available. I still might invest in it so i can give it my own judgements.

Still looks intersting.. Cheers again for the post!
Old 08-03-04, 08:22 AM

I did not see Immortel but I saw in its time the Bilal's first movie Bunker Palace Hotel.

I am a bit baffled by the fact that Bilal adapted three of his comic books to the sreen. The result cannot really be good as:
1st: it is based on three books so the story is obiously truncated
2nd: it is based on a French comic book and no-one ever succeeded to film a French comic book.
3rd: Movie was shot in English (when Frenchs shoot in English it means only one thing => marketing)

Anyway I'll see this one when it will be released. I just hope Bilal will also release on DVD his previous works. Bunker Palace Hotel is a pearl of a movie that's deserve to be seen.
In Bunker Palace Bilal did not try adapt a comic book but created a Sci-Fi world for the sreen. I mean it was a pure movie work.
Old 08-03-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Butch Coolidge

3rd: Movie was shot in English (when Frenchs shoot in English it means only one thing => marketing)

....and a bad one if I may add.

Pro-B
Old 08-04-04, 11:23 AM

2nd: it is based on a French comic book and no-one ever succeeded to film a French comic book.
LOL
Isn't this a little bit misjudged ?
Ok. i don't have counter argumentation so you "MAY" be right... But the french cinema industrie does not have that much titles adapted from french comic book so your statement is irrelevant for me...

You cannot generalize a result of a poll where there were only two or three answers right ?
Old 08-04-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The much loved (at least by me...during my childish years) RAHAN is coming out next year. Everything that I have read so far points to a great production.

Pro-B
Old 08-04-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,214 Likes on 809 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of love pro-B
Old 08-04-04, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by haclong
LOL
Isn't this a little bit misjudged ?
You cannot generalize a result of a poll where there were only two or three answers right ?
Only one that was kind of good was Asterix 2.

Did you try to watch:
Lucky Luke with Terrence Hill or
Fais gaffe à la gaffe ?

Belgian and French comics cannot be put on screen.

Can't wait for Spielberg's Tintin...
Old 08-04-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by eXcentris
Wow, that's a lot of love pro-B
we just had a power hit....and you see the results.......

Pro-B
Old 08-04-04, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
The much loved (at least by me...during my childish years) RAHAN is coming out next year. Everything that I have read so far points to a great production.
Did you know that Rahan (Edition Vaillant) was Commie propaganda ?

http://www.geocities.com/pif_gadget_ro/vaillant.html
Old 08-04-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

interesting....I did not.

Pro-B
Old 08-05-04, 05:52 AM

<quote>

Did you try to watch:
Lucky Luke with Terrence Hill or
Fais gaffe à la gaffe ?

Belgian and French comics cannot be put on screen.

</quote>

I really don't think that we can take this topic like you do.
I mean :
Look what have been done and then, conclusion : French comic cannot be put on screen...
I think a story is a story... any story can be put on screen.

As for Lucky Luke example, i can speak of the Jacky Chan's City Hunter which was a fiasco too

Now question is :
do they want to do it ?
do they have whatever they need to do it ?
I think that's another question and it refers to the past : the way here in Europe we handle the comic and the way here in Europe we handle the cinema.
It may sound like non-sense but i do think that will explain how the french cinema industry never bother to make a fine adaptation of french comic.

For a while, in 80's, french cinema was a much more "brainy". We did not have that much french "action" movie as Hollywood mean it. In the 80's, french cinema was made by persons like Lelouch or Truffaut.
I do believe that the french cinema industrie has a big change since Besson and Ganz. But french critics here classified Ganz in a "special" categories of movie and they said several times that Besson made "Hollywood" movies...
For the Intelligentzia here, that's not quite "french cinema industrie"
And then, if ever you've got a project starting from a comic story, nobody here believe that will work (i think)
I think that nobody believes that you can mix Comic and Cinema, because, maybe they do think that there are not for the same public... who knows.
Then, only small studios or foreign studios get an interest in your project putting whichever comic on screen but they don't really get the story or they don't have enough funds so the movie is lost even before the first scene is shot.
Ganz can do whichever movie he does want to do because he's got money for that and his choice is driven by his interest. Just after shotting Crying Freeman, he said to everybody that he will put Shirow's Appleseed on screen and we're still waiting and now, he announced Rahan.
Asterix was shot because Depardieu wants to do it. And Depardieu's got money...
Here, in french cinema, if there's any good movie putting comic on screen, you should look for the person who paid for the movie...
Here, nobody's paying for putting comic on screen. That's why there's so few movies and fewer good movies based on comics...
Old 08-05-04, 09:10 AM

Haclong do not get me wrong. I was just stating an axiom.

Nothing to do with French or American cinema.

That's why I am waiting for Spielberg and his Tintin. He can only fail. It is just that Belgian and French comics belong so deeply to their authors that they cannot be sold to anyone.

Asterix & Cléopatre was halfway good due to the cheap jokes of Djamel Debouze....
Old 08-06-04, 04:56 AM

It is just that Belgian and French comics belong so deeply to their authors that they cannot be sold to anyone.

You might be right on this point.
But I still believe for my part that nobody who worth a good movie has ever put belgian and/or french comics on screen.
I mean, neither good director nor good cast nor worthy money...

So, basically for me, we're back to the french and american cinema industry. In France, nobody wants to put money on comics putting on screen and belgian or french comics are not as well known as the US producers wants to put their money in a maybe-not-so-worth-it project...
Anyway.. same as you... Waiting for the Tintin of Spielberg...

I know there were an old movie of Tintin (Tintin with the blue orange i believe) but I never get the opportunity to watch it... Besides, i'm not so "in" Tintin universe...
Old 08-06-04, 04:58 AM

Hehe, by the way, we did have a french comic putting on screen last year which was not bad... That was not wonderful either... I think it worth a Daredevil or a Spiderman though
It's Michel Vaillant from Besson's studio.

So, they can do it...
They just need money and a good cast
Old 08-24-04, 08:08 PM
Cool New Member

so anyway, i managed to get hold of the russian release of the french "Immortel (ad vitam)" and have just finished watching it.

* No spoilers *

The DVD was in PAL and was region free. It is also in ENGLISH!

I enjoyed all aspects of the movie. The mix between CG and live action was not as bad as i had expected, in fact the special effects i thought were very good (must have cost a bomb!)

This was my first "Bilal" movie, so i didn't have any expectations. The pace was a little slow at times, but that gave you time you catch up on the quite unusual story line.

Definate shades of "the 5th element" cityscapes, but certainly not a direct copy of it.

i was happy with this movie and i feel it was a good "blind buy"

All in all 7/10 i reckon. (Anything over 6 is a keeper)

Now i just have to watch this "NIGHT PATROL" russian DVD that everyone is raving on about!

ps i purchases both DVD's from HERE

a relatively unknown site, but he sells on ebay so you can read his feedback.

My two dvd's arrived from Canada to New Zealand in just over a week, with excellent packing so buy with confidence!
Old 08-24-04, 10:27 PM

Have any versions of this film been announced on DVD that are NTSC, I am not a big fan of PAL with my setup.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.