DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Korean DVD Release Info. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/376093-korean-dvd-release-info.html)

gumption 07-22-04 03:25 AM

Korean DVD Release Info.

Can't wait for the Windstruck (Jun Ji Hyun :)) and Taegukgi !!!

http://dvdfromkorea.com/board/board/...2/kdvd0710.gif

bobstevens 07-22-04 03:43 AM

I was browsing straightstimes and found a review of that. The reviewer made it sound pretty mediocre. Anyone have other thoughts ?

bobstevens 07-22-04 03:52 AM

Sorry... "that" equals "Windstruck". I think the reviewer may have been harsh on the movie because it seemed like he was comparing it to "My Sassy Girl" more than letting it stand alone. I haven't seen either movie so I'm not sure I can comment. But please let me know if you think Windstruck is worth looking in to.

Trigger 07-22-04 06:47 AM

can't believe I'm going to have to double-dip on Taegukgi. dammit.

LeRoy 07-22-04 07:06 AM

Arahan and Taegukgi for me! I heard that Windstruck wasn't so good.

Yakuza Bengoshi 07-22-04 07:17 AM

I haven't even received Oldboy yet in the mail, and I now see there's an ultimate edition on the way. :(

marty888 07-22-04 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I haven't even received Oldboy yet in the mail, and I now see there's an ultimate edition on the way. :(
Maybe you'll luck out and not like the movie.... -wink-

Master Killer 07-22-04 10:08 AM

Even though I have read many reviews saying that Windstruck was mediocre, I'm still gonna buy it cause I am a major Jeon Ji-Hyun fanboy. Other ones that I am interested in are Ryung, Arahan, Taegukgi, and Three: Monster.

dleedlee 07-22-04 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
can't believe I'm going to have to double-dip on Taegukgi. dammit.
I don't follow, why is that? Why not just get the Dir.Cut? Is it because you can't wait or are the two versions going to be that different?

ehonauer 07-22-04 10:52 AM

Taegukgi - Hmm, decisions decisions.

Oldboy UE - this is one film I can't wait to double-dip for. Back in May I heard a rumor that this would have an extended cut of the film on it, but I haven't heard anything since then.

The President's Barber - Mun So-ri's next film after her incredible performances in Oasis and A Good Lawyer's Wife. Anybody seen it?

Three, Monster - A Chan-Wook Park and Takashi Miike horror anthology? Where do I get in line? Check out the trailer to Park's section: http://218.38.19.146/mailling/monste...mg/monster.wmv

Still no Invisible Light release date. Oh well.

northshore 07-22-04 11:46 AM

Originally posted by ehonauer
Taegukgi - Hmm, decisions decisions.

Oldboy UE - this is one film I can't wait to double-dip for. Back in May I heard a rumor that this would have an extended cut of the film on it, but I haven't heard anything since then.

I also heard a rumor from my Korean friend that.....

Oldboy UE - Special Copper Case with 4~5 Disc.

Taegukgi -
Plain Edition : 3 Disc set
Director's Cut : 6 Disc (!) set with Making book..

dleedlee 07-22-04 11:56 AM

Originally posted by northshore
Director's Cut : 6 Disc (!) set with Making book..
Whaaaat?

Trigger 07-22-04 12:49 PM

Originally posted by dleedlee
I don't follow, why is that? Why not just get the Dir.Cut? Is it because you can't wait or are the two versions going to be that different?
I dunno - I figured they would carry mutually exclusive versions of the film. Plus, one comes out before the other. Hearing that it could possibly be a 6 disc for the DC - perhaps it will contain both versions of the film and perhaps I can wait.

slop101 07-22-04 05:29 PM

I really like a lot of these movies, and these packages are great and all, but none of the extras ever have English subs. So I don't see why someone who doesn't know Korean would be excited about multiple discs worth of bonus material that they wont understand.

flashburn 07-22-04 05:55 PM

Originally posted by slop101
I really like a lot of these movies, and these packages are great and all, but none of the extras ever have English subs. So I don't see why someone who doesn't know Korean would be excited about multiple discs worth of bonus material that they wont understand.
A lot of the extra features I still enjoy watching, even without subs. Like some of the making of stuff, and behind the scenes. Interviews, ofcourse, are a bore without knowing what they are saying.

wuken 07-22-04 07:01 PM

A PETAL (1996)
THE ISLE (2000)

For me, nothing is more anticipated than these two. I've been waiting years for PETAL!

ehonauer 07-23-04 12:18 PM

Originally posted by slop101

Originally posted by flashburn
A lot of the extra features I still enjoy watching, even without subs. Like some of the making of stuff, and behind the scenes. Interviews, ofcourse, are a bore without knowing what they are saying.
Agree with you flashburn - the "making of" on the Oldboy 2-disc included a script read-through (great stuff), an audition, fight scene preparation, location scouting, etc. Yeah, it would be a lot more enjoyable with subs, but it's interesting nonetheless. Also, these multiple disc sets often contain the OST.

Moefuscious 07-23-04 01:47 PM

Cool :up: That Three, Monster trailer looks delicious :consume:

BloodMan 07-23-04 02:10 PM

I too ordered the Old Boy 2 discer... now to find out there be an Ultimate Edition or whatever... time to double dip again. (sigh) :)
Excellent flick!!!

Nick

BloodMan 07-23-04 02:44 PM

Wow... Three, Monster looks kickin! I want that! :)

paratize 07-23-04 10:02 PM

JULY
The Big Swindle - I own it...it's a fun flick.
Silmido - definately buy this one now! (I got the LE)
Woman is the Future of Man - I have it on the way in the mail (Hong Sang-soo has not yet let me down)
The Isle - I've heard this is one of Kim Ki-duk's best films (if you like him, that is)

AUGUST
The President's Barber - Maybe not Song Gang-ho or Moon So-ri's best work, but still worth seeing (I've got it on pre-order)
A Petal - supposedly a Korean classic
My Mother, the Mermaid - really looking forward to this one (Jeon Do-yeon stars!)
Windstruck - probably not as good as MSG but still should be worth it for Jeon Ji-hyun alone :drool:
Ryung - heard it's dumb, but the trailer looked decent to me...we'll see
Arahan - won a couple of festival awards recently, but kind of looks silly (from the director of "Die Bad" and "No Blood, No Tears")...

SEPTEMBER
Raging Years - The new film by legendary Korean director Im Kwon-taek deserves our consideration...trailer looked good
Someone Special - I've heard some good things about this one and the trailer looks promising too
Taegukgi - I saw this one in Korean theaters..good movie, but I think I will hold out for the Director's Cut in Oct.

OCTOBER
Oldboy: Ultimate Edition - a must-have in my opinion...the best Korean movie I've seen yet
Hi, Dharma 2: Showdown in Seoul - could be a fun movie, the first one was a decent comedy
Three: Monster - I didn't like the trailer, but still might be worth checking out...