International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

hero - extended version

Old 07-26-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dleedlee
According to someone from Face Audio & Video Production Co. Ltd., what will be added back includes some subplots, fight scenes and dialogues which could help the audiences to better understand the story and the history background. This is actually not an extended version but the original cut director Zhang Yimou wanted us to see. But, MiramAxe asked Zhang Yimou to trim it to 98 minute long. As the result, some reviewers have criticized the film for having a weak story.
There are no added subplots and very little new story details in the Director's Cut. The added length is almost entirely due to scenes running longer with slower pacing.
Old 07-26-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From thedvdetective forums

Here is the REAL information about this release. Somehow, our shipment was split, and we received a couple copies earlier than the others.

They are NTSC, Region free, Anamorphic. The movie is actually more like 9 minutes longer (approximately 1:06:46) as opposed to the 20 everyone was told.

The "wooden box" is actually a cardboard box, although technically, it's still made of wood, so I guess they didn't lie. It contains a booklet that appears to be the same as the previous booklet included in their previous box set.

The regular DVD-9 version has a very nice opening cover with color photos and information. The DVD is tucked into a slit, and the back of the case is a heavy, solid piece of cardboard (I assume it's cardboard as it can't be opened).

When subtitles are displayed, there is a small GDFACE logo that appears for a few seconds (only a few times) in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Why in the world they did this is anyones guess. Why it only appears when subtitles are on, is also very stange.

As was assumed, there are no English subtitles on the extras.

The picture and sound are outstanding!

If you are a fan of the movie, it's still nice to have the uncut version, and the cases, while they could have been better, are still nice.

Just thought you'd all like to know

Hopefully, I'll have mine in a couple of days.
Old 07-26-04, 12:52 PM

So this must be the Intermediate Director's Cut. Maybe NEXT July we'll get the final extra 10 minutes of sub-plot in the Final Director's Edition. Sheesh.
Old 07-26-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm...that doesn't sound to promising. I'm glad I only decided to get the Special Edition instead of going all out for the cardboard box edition.
Old 07-26-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let´s just hope that a Hong Kong release of HERO EE will be released soon. They are done professionally - no watermark and excellent DTS sound.
Old 07-26-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My cardboard box elite edition came today.

The box is cardboard with a magnetic closure lid. It's huge and won't fit on a DVD shelf. It's also ugly (IMO), but you can decide that for yourself as it looks like the pictures. Inside is a booklet, but it's nothing special. The disc rests inside a DVD condom - some cheap thin plastic bag material and a cd shaped cloth protecting the data side. There is a velvet covered piece of thick cardboard inside the box with a circle cut out the middle in the shape of a cd where the DVD is supposed to sit - there's even a stiff strap to hold it secure. I would've rather had a regular DVD case as this is impractical and not made of wood. I'm kinda pissed. If you're gonna give me this rediculous sized cardboard box - at least put a regular amaray case inside, cheap-asses.

The film is 1hr 47m long (1.46.53) or 107minutes
It has AC3 2.0, AC3 5.1, and DTS 5.1
It has English subs as well as Chinese simp. and trad.
The opening and closing scrolling words aren't subtitled... and the logo of the release company appears in the upper left in blue and red during the opening text that scrolls up and disappears right before the text finishes and the movie begins.
It is indeed ALL Region.
It is indeed Anamorphic and apparently OAR.

The Transfer is clean and sharp. I only checked it out on my laptop, so I don't know for sure - but the colors looked good to me. The source was really clean - I don't think they used a workprint unless they spent alot of time cleaning it up because it was in quite good shape. They did use old crappy equipment to transfer it though. Overscan on your tv would usually hide this, but in the upper right corner the machine is showing its age. It's not distracting at all, but the edges of the screen show what appears to be darkening and the bottom edge shows a little bit of machine. You can hardly tell though unless you're looking for it.

Overall, the transfer is really nice and only the truly picky should have any problems with it. The 2.0 audio is crisp as it should be... I'll have to check the DTS and 5.1 on my home theater and come back and report. The box is a huge let-down. Especially since they advertised it as a wooden box. Perhaps that was a translation mistake. Even knowing it's a cardboard box, it may disappoint someone. After getting a bunch of the Korean special editions with elaborate packaging, this one is slightly under par in the style department (but construction is solid).

It was only 18 bucks though, so I suppose it wasn't too big a deal. I may keep the disc and sell the case.
Old 07-26-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should add dimensions for the box since I said it was "huge"

7 inces wide
9 1/2 inches tall
1 1/4 inch thick

For comparison, a standard dvd case is 5 1/3 wide, 7 2/3 tall, and a little over half an inch thick. I would say the "wooden box" only weighs about as much as 2 standard dvd cases with discs inside. The shipping costs were grossly exaggerated.
Old 07-26-04, 05:26 PM
Cool New Member

So how often does the company logo show up?
Old 07-26-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't watch the entire movie - I only saw it once during the opening scrolling text. I'll let you know if and when it appears again after i watch the entire film.
Old 07-26-04, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the details. I just emailed DVD Asian to cancel my order for the box set - don't want to end up paying an extra 30 dollars (CDN) for just a cardboard box. I'm just going to go for the regular DVD-9 instead.
Old 07-26-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The opening and closing scrolling words aren't subtitled... and the logo of the release company appears in the upper left in blue and red during the opening text that scrolls up and disappears right before the text finishes and the movie begins.

oh well, supposingly miramax is indeed releaseing the full uncut version next month.
Old 07-26-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geez, you guys are really bumming me out. I had high hopes for this. Courtesy of www.dvdbeaver.com, translations of the beginning and end scroll are here.
Old 07-26-04, 11:52 PM

Those sly foxes at DVD Asian promptly informed me that they had shipped my limited edition box shortly after my email to request cancellation.

Except on their site it still says "This title will be released on July 28, 2004, and you may order it now."

Maybe this is one way to get things earlier.
Old 07-27-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered the wooden deluxe edition for $27.83 shipped.
I could cancel it and get the regular extended DTS edition for
$16.83 shipped.

Is the content + extras identical on each release?

If so, does that mean the extra $11 is essentially for a book
and cardboard box?

Is anyone else planning to skip the deluxe edition in favor of the
regular extended edition?
Old 07-27-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would suggest skipping the deluxe box if the discs are the same. Also - I didn't pay that much for it I don't think.
Old 07-27-04, 03:53 AM

the deluxe is 180mins : the "standard" middle of the range dvd-9 is 150 mins... so you miss some extras if you go for that....
Old 07-27-04, 06:23 AM

I wonder if the extras are the same as those covered on the Cause - The Making of double discs.
Old 07-27-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
oh well, supposingly miramax is indeed releaseing the full uncut version next month.
Myth.
Old 07-27-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Josh Z
Myth.
Indeed.

Pro-B
Old 07-28-04, 05:06 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally posted by theplot
Those sly foxes at DVD Asian promptly informed me that they had shipped my limited edition box shortly after my email to request cancellation.

Except on their site it still says "This title will be released on July 28, 2004, and you may order it now."

Actually, I doubt they're lying to you, since mine arrived today and was shipped yesterday. Earlier in the thread, responses from them said they'd receive their shipments on 7/26, so everything is on the up and up.

The cardboard box is a bummer, though. Don't call something wooden unless there is wood!

Last edited by jamieoni; 07-28-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-28-04, 09:10 PM
Mao

Sigh.....

Okay, yesasia has three versions ($24.99, 14.99 and 7.99)....I'm looking for a barebones extended edition in DTS, anamorphic, all region, NTSC....can anyone point me in the right direction or can anyone provide me with a link from an american e-tailer...help...all this talk has officially made me dizzy......

And do all thre of these versions have this watermark I've heard spoken of?
Old 07-28-04, 10:32 PM

Okay, yesasia has three versions ($24.99, 14.99 and 7.99)....I'm looking for a barebones extended edition in DTS, anamorphic, all region, NTSC....can anyone point me in the right direction or can anyone provide me with a link from an american e-tailer...help...all this talk has officially made me dizzy......
The DVD-5 version (least expensive) does NOT have a DTS track, so don't get that one. The least expensive choice would be the Regular DVD-9 version. If you want a retailer in the US try dvdasian.com ($16.95), or thedvdetective.com ($12.99). Since you appear to be in Colorado you might try thedvdetective.com, as it's in Colorado too.

All three versions have the logo pop-up issue.
Old 07-29-04, 07:03 AM

Well, yesasia ships from the US (CA) for US customers. It may take longer since they ship from overseas to their local distribution center before sending it to the customer. But if customs or package safety is your concern then yesasia is no problem in those matters.

Last edited by dleedlee; 07-29-04 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 09:39 AM
Mao

Thank you!
Old 07-29-04, 03:05 PM
Cool New Member

Um, here's my question - Is it a better movie? Regardless of the various version, configurations, etc, is this version of the movie suffciently better to justify another purchase? Can anyone give their thoughts? I don't want to buy another copy of the film if it's not really that much better. Thanks in advance for your help.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.