Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about A Few Asian Flicks (SLIMDO, Jiang Hu, Green Snake...)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-07-04, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was browsing DVDasian.com, and I noticed this films, which all looked interesting:

SLIMDO
Jiang Hu
Green Snake
2 L D K

Can anyone comment on these films?
Old 07-07-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Slimido has had a few threads... broke records in Korea - war movie. Lots of positive buzz and critical acclaim. Another war movie came out a bit later that was supposedly even better and broke even more records.
Jiang Hu hasn't been generating very positive buzz around here I don't think, but I think it was a pretty big production that has seen some positive reviews from critics.
Green Snake is a classic and a must-have - this is a new DVD release that has a decent transfer. Before that we just had a crappy one with burned-in subs.
2LDK or whatever - haven't seen it, but I plan on getting it.
Old 07-07-04, 05:58 AM

Silmido isn't really a war movie. It's a... training-for-a-secret-op/drama movie. It's very good. Not a dry eye in the theatre when I saw it.

The other movie Trigger mentioned is Taegugki. Very good. The scale is huge and it cost a fortune to make. The people I know generally preferred Silmido, but I think Taegugki made more money.

2LDK, I read, is very funny. I unfortunately have the Japanese DVD without subs. I thought it was okay, but I preferred Aragami (the other duel movie made as a bet). I have to say I'm a huge Kitamura fan so even with the subs I'd probably like Aragami better. I've read preference between the two is split down the middle but with a slight lean towards 2LDK.

Haven't seen Green Snake but it's Tsui Hark when he was at his best so I doubt it would be bad. Haven't seen Jiang Hu yet, but I plan on it soon enough.
Old 07-07-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Green Snake is great. The art design on the movie is beautiful and so is Maggie Cheung. I just watched it again last night.
Old 07-07-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Another vote for Green Snake. An absolutely gorgeous looking film, starring the beautiful Maggie Cheung and Joey Wong. Great film.

I am looking forward to seeing 2LDK (which is getting a R1 release this month). It sounds like a black comedy, about two aspiring rival actresses who are roommates, and have a minor disagreement that escalates into deadly violence. It stars Yellow Cab swimsuit idol Eiko Koike (wow, first of all, idol Eriko Sato stars in Cutie Honey, now this)
Old 07-14-04, 10:32 AM

Silmido....the packaging is great!!!

Has anyone seen this DVD? I'm considering buying this..

Last edited by northshore; 07-14-04 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're considering buying the Limited Edition, better be quick about it. Koreandvds.com is out of stock, and DVDAsian.com raised their price $5 yesterday, which is a good sign that demand is going up and available stock is going down.

Like Memories of Murder and Dogville, it looks like this one will be OOP shortly after it's released.

Can't wait for the Taegukgi and Oldboy Limited Editions!

Last edited by ehonauer; 07-15-04 at 09:20 AM.