Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Son frère (Patrice Chéreau) UK disc

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-03-04, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the pleasure of watching this UK disc last night. Anything would be better than the criminally bad Strand Releasing USA disc. Shame on them.

First off, it's Region 0 which is good news for some. It has an excellent anamorphic image (with lots of natural grain). Sound is DD5.1 with a nice bonus of dts. There's an interview with the director (28mins) in English.

Well worth a look.
Old 07-04-04, 02:56 AM

what about subs? are they burned in?
Old 07-04-04, 04:03 AM

Removable.
Old 07-04-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Indeed...anything would be better than the R1 version. I still have not ordered this disc, but from what I see on this capture there is a bit too much grain.

Daniel, is this how the film looked through the entire disc?

Pro-B
Old 07-04-04, 05:46 PM

"...there is a bit too much grain..."

That's a rather disappointing statement coming from someone who has discerning tastes in films.

That capture doesn't do the film justice (captures never do).

The grain in the film is meant to be there just like it is in the European releases of Le Fils. It's due to the film stock, lighting and how the director wants to make his film and how he wants you to see it.

If you don't like grain you don't like films. It's part of the film-making process. Fair enough to complain if it's down to bad film-making/transfer but it belongs in this film.
Old 07-04-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Daniel Windsor
"...there is a bit too much grain..."

That's a rather disappointing statement coming from someone who has discerning tastes in films.

Dear Daniel,

I think that your statement is a bit premature. I actually had the opportunity to view the film on a big screen as part of a very limited screening here in Chicago. From what I see on your capture the image is not simply rich on "film-grain" but quite blurry to say the least. This quite frankly is not what i saw. So, that is why I asked if this is how the film looked throughout the entire DVD. In fact I am aware that posting screen shots is a rather tricky act and you dont always get the exact picture quality or shall I say it is rather difficult to gain a good impression as to how the disc looks. As I still dont own this disc...I decided to ask.

....and I never really made a statement where I claimed that I detest film-grain. On the opposite I was looking forward to this disc quite a bit hence my first thread here in the International section-

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=frere

Anyhow...thank you for the info,

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 07-04-04 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 11:04 PM

i saw the film on the big screen also and it does have many sequences with quite a bit of 'grain' which is meant to be there.