Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-Free Yamakawa NTSC/PAL player $38 AR

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-02-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a (NEW Progressive-Scan "Region Free" DVD Player with Dolby Digital Decoder ( Compact Model - DVD-238 ) ** Exclusive Closeout **) Yamakawa compact DVD player that can play all regions. If i hadn't bought the Toshiba SD-4900 a few weeks back I would be all over this. I might buy this for my parents' living room actually. Figured it was worth a mention in the International Forum. Oh and the price is after multiple rebates, so not sure how reliable each rebate is, but it's worth a shot if you're in need of a cheapy region-free.

EDIT: 2 of the rebates are for big purchases, so the price is really $38, my bad.
Old 07-14-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i picked it up... it's not too bad although the 2 blue led bulbs on the front are SUPER bright! it was blinding me so i put tape over them (5 layers of electrical tape and it still shines thru)..

progressive looks good.

i was having problems reading Wonderful Days on my older Sampo so this replaced it nicely (although, there's no oneforall remote code for it).

i also like the smaller form factor. the sampo was this big empty box w/ a dvd rom in it... this makes more sense. not that it is great quality, but for $30, i'm not complaining.
Old 07-14-04, 12:53 PM

I bought 2

First I bought 1 of these, loved it so much, I bought a second one. Can't beat it for the price, and it plays better than my JVC!
Old 07-15-04, 03:38 PM

Does anyone know of any reviews of this player? I'm curious to see how it stacks up to the Philips 727 or the Toshiba 3900/4900? Also, how are Yamakawa products in general? I've never heard of them.
Old 07-16-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i know of no reviews for this player. just comments from users and they've all been pretty much positive (including mine).

what few deficiencies it has, i am totally overlooking b/c it was so cheap.

it's better than my old sampo... but, that's sort of damning it w/ faint praise.