Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to talk me in to (or out of) ordering these?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-29-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Anything I'm missing too?

Green Snake: Newly Remastered DTS Version
Full Metal Yakuza (aka: Full Metal Gokudo): Uncut Version
Who's Got The Tape (Region-3)
Last Wolf, The (aka: The Wolf Returns): (Region-3)
Liar
Jiang Hu (DTS Version) (Special Edition)
Hero Ultimate Edition (Korean Version)
Koma (DTS Version)
My Little Bride Limited Edition
Darkness Bride
Moving Targets (2004) (US Version)
Enter The Phoenix (DTS Version)
The Eye 2 (DTS Version) (Alternate Endings Version)
Jubei Ninpocho: The Wind Ninja Chronicles Collector's Edition (Korean Version)
Old Boy
Mokpo, Gangster's Paradise Limited Edition
Mr. Handy
Too Beautiful To Lie
301 302
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (SE)
The Big Swindle Limited Edition
Sil Mi Do Limited Edition

Here's some I have on standby waiting for a cheaper version...

Your "wish" list - Add to cart now!
Odoru Daisousasen BAYSIDE SHAKEDOWN 2 - (THX Edition) (2 DVDs) (Japan Version - English Subtitles)
Sky High - Theatric Feature Special Edition (Japan Version - English Subtitles)
Onmyoji 2 (Japan Version - English Subtitles)
First Kiss
Quick Man
Hard Luck Hero (Normal Edition) (Japan Version)
Hogirara
Alive (Deluxe Edition) (Japan Version)
Kyouki no Sakura (Japan Version)
Satorare (Japan Version)
MOON CHILD (Limited Edition) (Japan Version - English Subtitles)
Old 06-29-04, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moon Child is up for pre-order at Layoyo.com - just HK$55 if I recall correctly.
Old 06-29-04, 09:11 PM

You know what, buy them all.

Actually, as far as Japanese LEs go, the Moon Child DVD is really worth it. There's a HK DVD coming out soon, but the R2 DVD is really worth the price. The Jubei Ninpocho set is huge and heavy so the shipping will be a bit more.

Full Metal Yakuza is definitely worth it, it's got great extras and the movie is fun as well. Most of those movies I have but haven't seen yet. Get Silmido, that one's worth the price, whatever the extras are. Old Boy and Jiang Hu should be worth it also, although Old Boy'll get a better set later one (albeit w/o DTS).

So like I said, buy all of them.
Old 06-29-04, 10:27 PM

I will try to talk you out of getting onmyoji 2.

I am not a big fan of the first one but i found it to be mildly entertaining - Seibei being the main reason. The second one has him back, plus Kichi Nakai (He's in a lot of good movies lately - Twilight Samurai, Last Samurai, Tales of the Unusual, Warrior of Heaven and Earth). However, the story line is very cliched, tired, predictable, and formulaic. The effects are really weak too. We're not really learning anything new about Seibei either. This has the same quality of Hollywood straight-to-video releases. Definitely does not justify the $50+ price tag.

Check out Doraheita instead. A great little gem that not a lot of people know. Co-written by Akira Kurosawa, it's about an orthodox samurai trying to clean up the dirtiest town in Japan. Great plot, acting, and characters throughout.
Old 06-30-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Jiang Hu (DTS Version) (Special Edition)
- I'm getting the deluxe version

Hero Ultimate Edition (Korean Version)
-Should have this one in hand by 7/2/04

Jubei Ninpocho: The Wind Ninja Chronicles Collector's Edition (Korean Version)
- This boxset is a definite must-have.

Old Boy
- Excellent film...really twisted ending.

Sil Mi Do Limited Edition
- Pre-ordered through koreandvds.com. Looks like another must-have
Old 06-30-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I heard that Moving Targets (US Version) is of very poor quality. I'm a big Nic Tse fan but decided to wait for a better version. (Oh, but you could get it and confirm or dispute for us. )
Old 06-30-04, 02:40 PM

Definitely get Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Do not get Too Beautiful To Lie. Very unfunny movie.
Old 06-30-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

crap... I already ordered most of these... except for the ones in my "wish list" - I was impatient. I'll post reviews in this thread when I start getting and watching these. I ordered from like 3 different places.
Old 06-30-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good - nice to have you back Trigger!

Jeremy
Old 06-30-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Get:
Sympathy of Mr. Vengance - excellent film, bit get the R2 UK version.
Oldboy - brilliant film.
Hero - brilliant!

Do not get:
Eye 2

I am also considering:
Sil Mi Do - let me know.
Jiang Hu - let me know.
Old 07-01-04, 10:11 AM

re: Satorare It's been a couple years since I've watched the HK version but unless you really liked the movie I'm not sure I'd spring for a pricey JP release. I didn't think the movie was bad and enjoyed it enough but I think quite a few people didn't like it all or were possibly disappointed.
Old 07-25-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a few, but have yet to get to the ones people really want to know about... I'm working on it.

Full Metal Yakuza - my least favorite Miike film. 6/10

My Little Bride - It was cute, but not worth the uber-edition... actually it was probably better as a rental. 6.5/10

Too Beautiful To Lie - This was kinda funny, but long... I don't remember much about it really since I saw it over a week ago. I could watch a few minutes and refresh my memory and then give my expanded 'review' of it.

As always, I can expand on any of these if anyone is curious.
Old 07-26-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts
The Eye 2 pretty much sucked.
Old 07-26-04, 02:42 PM

onmoyoji 2 : out in korea now - koreandvds.com.... full metal yakuza is great but not to everyones taste... if you gonna get "sympathy for mr vengeance" might as well get "old boy" from korea too...
Old 07-26-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Onmyoji 2 (Japan Version - English Subtitles)

that's a must-have for me.
Old 07-27-04, 04:28 AM

Bayside Shakedown the Movie 2- R3 Korean edition is original theatrical version(138min) with bonus disc. R2 Japanese THX edition is re-edited international version (130min.)
Old 07-28-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by logboy
onmoyoji 2 : out in korea now - koreandvds.com.... full metal yakuza is great but not to everyones taste... if you gonna get "sympathy for mr vengeance" might as well get "old boy" from korea too...
It was probably to my taste, but I didn't think Full Metal Yakuza was very good... I like most of miike's films, but this was sub-par IMHO. I'll may pick up Onmoyoji 2 even though the first one didn't do alot for me... but I'm tempted to avoid it as some have suggested - I'm torn. I already have both Old Boy and Sympathy for mr Vengance after this last order.
Originally posted by northshore
Bayside Shakedown the Movie 2- R3 Korean edition is original theatrical version(138min) with bonus disc. R2 Japanese THX edition is re-edited international version (130min.)
Cool - I'd rather not spend a million dollars to get BS2 anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

Watched a few more tonight...

Old Boy - Brilliant. 8.5/10. I found the herky jerky effect a little distracting and not really getting the effect it was probably going for. Perhaps making it more subtle and less often would've helped. Everything else was fantastic and this was one of the most complete films by this director yet... typically he just leaves us hanging.

Driving Miss Wealthy - it was decent. Most HK comedies lately have been sucking and this one wasn't that bad. Good chemistry and a cohesive story that didn't trail off into nowhere or some other thing entirely. It wasn't rip-roaring hilarious, but it was a cute romantic comedy. Another bonus was that the Twins weren't in it. 6/10

Breaking News - Jonnie To finally makes a film that I like... it's been awhile. I think he's a low-rent Tsui Hark (and most would disagree with me I'm sure) and lately his films have been less than great. This one suffers from a few typical problems, but makes up for it in other areas. The opening scene involves some technical brilliance and keen planning with a sweeping camera following a shootout - squibs and such all going off as intended at the right moment in a long one-cut scene that most directors wouldn't even tackle in less than 40. The story was engaging although a bit of it was a little hokey, and during all the shootout scenes it was really frustrating that nobody could hit anything. They appeared to be aiming, and I assume they were trained as PTU officers, and they are only 20 feet away from the target, and they are shooting down a narrow hallway - how do they miss??! Anyway... it was good and totally worth watching and buying. 7/10

Mr. Handy - 7.5/10 - this was a very touching and solid romantic comedy from Korea. It ran under 2 hours which is refreshing. There were a few hilarious scenes and some tender moments. The romance didn't seem forced and there was a sentiment presented in the film that I found especially touching. The comedy came in small bursts and at random moments, but it was enough to leave me feeling like I just watched a funny film. Good performances and well-crafted story. For sure worth renting and I'd say it's even worth buying if you like Korean romantic comedies.

As always, I'm happy to discuss these in detail or expand any of my reviews.
Old 07-28-04, 06:16 PM

Just got Breaking News and Suddenly Wearing Black, only saw SWB last night, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to see a nice light comedy. I know this one's been out for a while, but I just always skipped it, glad I finally picked it up.

Oh and thanks for that very educational thread on the extended Hero dvd Trigger, u saved me $20 and a trip to Chinatown.
Old 07-29-04, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit - where were you guys when I needed you? You let me buy Liar and it doesn't have english subtitles. I could've sworn yesasia's site said it had them (now of course, it doesn't). I'm ticked off.
Old 07-29-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trigger
I could've sworn yesasia's site said it had them (now of course, it doesn't). I'm ticked off.
Well the film is called Liar after all.
Old 08-10-04, 01:32 PM

Anyone seen these Korean films? To buy or not to buy, that is the question. Based on some of the reviews I’ve read, I’m leaning towards buying.

Comrade (Double Agent)
Coast Guard
Dead Friend
Good Lawyer’s Wife
Face
Mutt Boy
Sil Min Do
Spring Summer Fall Winter
Taegukgi
Woman Is The Future Of Man
Old 08-10-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd skip The Coast Guard if I were you, it's by far Kim ki Duk's worst film.
Old 08-11-04, 05:43 PM

Comrade didn't have all that terrific reviews here. Many people here think Han Suk-Kyu's overrated now because of it.

Go ahead and buy Taegugki whenever it comes out. I haven't seen any release dates yet but you can bet it'll sell like hotcakes here. Get Silmido, it's a really great flick.

Woman is the Future of Man is one of those movies that seems to be popular with the film festival crowd, so you can buy that one if you think you'll like it.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring apparently doesn't have much dialogue, which many people don't like. If you like silence with your storytelling, then get this one. Coast Guard is Kim Ki-Duk (like eXcentris said), so, again, buy at your own risk.

Mutt Boy seems to have its audience, so you can try that out. Of the three left, I only have Good Lawyer's Wife, which seems to be a drama that pushes the boundries of relationships and morality. Probably an okay movie but nothing else. I'll probaby pick up the two other movies some time. They're Korean horror flicks. If you like that, then pick them up.
Old 08-12-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to put in another for Silmido - a very entertaining film. Kind of felt like the Korean equivalent to a solid Summer blockbuster-type of movie in the U.S. I found it very familiar ("Dirty Dozen") yet also original. An affecting popcorn film. I'll certainly give it another spin sometime soon.

I think "Taegugki" is coming to DVD in September at the earliest. I'll definitely pick it up as I'm a big fan of war films.

To put this in some sort of context, count me among those who's really enjoyed:

"Oldboy" (I've also checked out a couple of his other films and have come to the conclusion that even a movie about watching paint dry would be good if it starred Choi Min-Sik)

"Save the Green Planet"

"Musa"

"The Legend of the Evil Lake" (though it seems online reviews are decidedly lukewarm I really liked it - I'm a big fan of the "historical"/action/romance genre and it's very much like something that would have been made in old-time Hollywood)
Old 08-15-04, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a few the past couple of nights...

Silmido - it was decent. 7/10 - I'm still more looking forward to Taegugki, Silmido didn't really live up to the hype for me. It was good, but for as long as it was they didn't really develop the characters enough or the relationships between them. The story wasn't really anything new that I haven't seen before. I'm glad I bought it in any case. Solid film.

Underworld - I picked up the R3 edition... rather than score the film, I'll just say that the video and audio quality are ace and the packaging is great. It edges out the R1 in this department by a mile and a half. The extras are great as well. Money well spent.

Jiang Hu - 6/10 - predictable, cliche, nothing new, seen it all before, short, and forgettable. However, it was well crafted and competently executed... it was also pretty entertaining. The box set it came in was pretty nice as well. I preferred Infernal Affairs. There was another movie called "Jiang Hu" from not too long ago that had dancing and musical numbers in it if I'm not mistaken. Feel free to get the two confused and pick up either film.

Eye 2 - Not bad, but not great. 6/10 (barely). They stray from the original story too much with this and get a little too technical for their own good. It does have some great imagery though and some decent scares... not to mention a solid performance from Shu Qi.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengance - Good flick. It was depressing and lacked any redeeming qualities. The only motivation for most of the characters was revenge... it's a cliched motive and 1 dimensional, but it almost always works. It worked here too. I'd give this a 8/10.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.