Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Versions of this Movies?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-16-04, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm looking for the best versions PQ and SQ wise of these movies available in NTSC, extras and the region code don't matter. Any help will be appreciated.

Running Out Of Time 1 and 2
Time And Tide
Natural City
Legend Of Zu
A Tale Of Two Sisters
Shiri

Also I'd like to know how the HK version of the following movies compares to the R1, as I know they all carry DTS tracks in HK

Gosford Park
American Psycho
Crossroads

Thanks,
Alex
Old 06-16-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tale of Two sisters: http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=2qZNG8b4

Korean Special Edition.
Old 06-16-04, 12:21 PM

The R1 version of Time and Tide is the best. It has an audio commentary by the director that the r2 doesn't have.
Old 06-16-04, 01:44 PM

The best Running Out of Time is the French R2 SE. It has 2 disks, with a commentary from the writers, interviews, whatnot. If you don't know French, then stick with the Hong Kong release.

As for the others, get them from their country of origin. In Korea, Natural City has a nice 2-disk set with a killer DTS track (and a tin covering!), Shiri has a DTS track and a second DVD, and as mentioned, A Tale of Two Sisters is the same: perfect DTS-ES track and a nice set of extras on a second disk.

The Time and Tide R1 is better than any other. I think the commentary was recorded exclusively for Columbia-Tristar's R1 release because it's not even on the HK DVD. Legend of Zu and Running Out of Time 2 are available in Korea or in Hong Kong (same DVDs except the Korean disks have Korean subs), but the Hong Kong releases are easier to find.
Old 06-17-04, 10:18 AM
Cool New Member

Thank you all, it's been really helpful.

Now, can I have a few more recommendations of Asian action and/or fantasy films with top notch audio & video presentation on DVD (they don't need to be necessarily great movies)?

Thanks again,
Alex
Old 06-17-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by AlexBC
Now, can I have a few more recommendations of Asian action and/or fantasy films with top notch audio & video presentation on DVD (they don't need to be necessarily great movies)?
If animated is ok, check out Wonderful Days, Korean Special Edition.
Old 06-17-04, 01:37 PM

Definitely Wonderful Days: perfect audio and video.

One that's always mentioned is Hero and Legend of Zu, both of which I really agree with.

I would also recommend Ultimate Versus. No English subs but for that movie is really doesn't matter. The DTS-ES track is to die for. The movie is so much fun also. The movie is really low budget but the picture was really cleaned up nicely.
Old 06-18-04, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

Fnordboy, yes animated is OK. Acutally, by the trailers and the previews photos, this one looks awesome! Can't wait to see it.

Pat, I couldn't find Ultimate Versus in any of the asian retailers I know. Is it out of print? Can you point me to a retailer that carries it?

Thank you all for your help.
Old 06-20-04, 06:26 AM

I bought it at CDJapan:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNBD-1035

About 50 bucks but sure is worth every penny.