Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any movies like Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-06-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched this movie about a few months ago, and I loved its cheesy style (intentional or not). Are there any other films that have this same sort of style? The sequel, 'Legend of Zu', while pretty cool, doesn't capture the amount of cheesiness as the original. I love all of the over the top CG effects.

Last edited by flashburn; 06-06-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out Storm Riders, it has a lot of over-the-top CG effects that may be something similar to what you are looking for.

There are a couple of SHaw Bros. movies that have cheesy, early 80's special effects, Buddha's Palm, Holy Flame of the Martial World, and maybe Web of Death. I have only seen Buddha's palm and Web of death. BP is heavy on the cheesy special efx, and WoD while not as heavy, it still has its fair share of cheesy special efx. I'd say check out BP first, since Tsui Hark probably used that film as an inspiration for Zu.

Another one to check out Kung Fu Cult Master a.k.a. Lord of the Wu-Tang starring Jet Li. This film has a lot of over-the-top cheesy special effects, like people shooting fireballs, a poison palm technique, and a guy (Sammo Hung) embedded in a rock who is a master of one of the most powerful techniques. It also has some decent kung fu battle scenes and I consider this to be one of my favorite Jet Li movies alongside Fist of Legend.

Another Shaw Bros. film that I could add is Super Inframan. it's basically the HK version of Ultraman. While this film is not along the same style as Zu, it has cheesy special efx and cheap rubber monster costumes. This film is a major guilty pleasure of mine, but something like this may interest you.
Old 06-06-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you liked Zu, Chinese Odyssey Part I & II are absolute MUST SEE movies. The plot's hard to follow, it's completely over the top, but boy do I love 'em. Seriously, Zu doesn't even hold a candle to these two movies.

Another movie that I saw recently that reminded me of Zu was Duel to the Death. It was recently released by Fox, and and you should be able to get for $5.50 in stores. It's a pretty fun movie.

None of those movies have CG, though. If you're looking for a CG-fest, Master Killer already mentioned Storm Riders which is probably the best, although there's also A Man Called Hero and Duel, both of which should probably be watched at your own peril.
Old 06-06-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually have Storm Riders, and it is on my 'to watch' list, hopefully this week.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
The one thing I loved about the effects in Zu, was that they were all pretty much hand drawn, like a cartoon.
Old 06-06-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Chinese Ghost Story 1, 2, & 3. Great movies! You can get the HKL R2 version if you are region free.
Old 06-06-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, the first Zu movie had CG effects in it which was pretty innovative for the time. Butterfly & Sword is one I like that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Old 06-07-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
Actually, the first Zu movie had CG effects in it which was pretty innovative for the time. Butterfly & Sword is one I like that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Wow, I didn't notice, they looked like a cartoon to me.
Old 06-07-04, 10:43 AM

They looked like physical effects to me (I mean, like the lightning effects in old horror movies). I'm very surprised to hear that.

As for the topic, I'm very surprised no one's mentioned the Bride with White Hair movies. Those are two of the best (yeah, the first one's much better, but I like the second also). As has been said, Storm Riders and A Man Called Hero are both epic fantasy movies. If you want a CGI-fest, though not a period fantasy, The Avenging Fist can be nice if you've got a decent system. There isn't really a shot without any CG in the whole movie. All of these, by the way were done by the same director. He seemed to have a fettish with period fantasies, and if you include The Duel, well, you get one more.

Anyway, the other Tsui Hark CG-fest is Black Mask 2. It's probably the only Hark movie I don't recommend. It's seriously awful. Believe me I like my cheese but this was just pathetic. I only mention it because it's got a lot of CGI.

Personally, I'd avoid the Kung-Fu Cult Master. Wong Jing usually wastes people's talents and this is one of those movies. Coincidentally, also by Wong Jing, and although I've not seen it, Future Cops has a cheesy premise and seems to have a lot of bad f/x. It has the cast of Street Fighter going back in time to high school to stop and evil bad guy who went back in time to kill someone.

Chinese Oddyssey 1 and 2 are a must see even it you don't like period fantasies, so go see those. Butterfly & Sword is a movie but I don't remember it as being a swordplay movie more than an f/x movie. Duel to the Death is very good but it's a period swordplay movie. If you want those, there are so many that can be listed.

I haven't seen the Chinese Ghost Story movies yet, but I plan to very soon.
Old 06-08-04, 11:15 AM

I forget the details but weren't the effects of the original ZU WARRIORS done by some of the STAR WARS folks?
Old 06-08-04, 11:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Any movies like Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain?

Originally posted by flashburn
I watched this movie about a few months ago, and I loved its cheesy style (intentional or not). Are there any other films that have this same sort of style? The sequel, 'Legend of Zu', while pretty cool, doesn't capture the amount of cheesiness as the original. I love all of the over the top CG effects.
I agree, the sequel wasn't all that great, but I have to say I thought the character of 'Red' was sooo cool.