Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

LILYA 4-EVER on DVD - HK R0 or R3? Subtitles? / R1 release planned???

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-04-04, 10:37 PM

LILYA 4-EVER (Lukas Moodysson) is now out in the always cheaper HK DVD release and is listed as R3 everywhere I've checked (as, I suppose, it should be).
However, I have noticed that many of the DVDs put out by the company that released it, Panorama, are, in fact, all region (despite being listed as R3).

Does anyone have any info on this disc?
Also, if anyone happens to have this or has found a review of the disc (I couldn't), let me know how good the English subtitles appear to be....

Any info on a U.S. DVD release? It played the festival circuit and had extremely limited U.S. engagements nearly a year ago....if I'm not mistaken...

I really don't want to spring for the PAL disc (more expensive and plays with less quality on my crappy Sampo player)....

Thanks in advance to anyone.

Last edited by alsoknownasx; 06-04-04 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

hmm...another member from Bloomington

I will be very careful with this disc...this might well be a PAL port of the British disc. Even the cover looks identical. And I cant help with a review...I have never seen this release being discussed anywhere.

I do own the Swedish disc and the quality is superb!! DVDbeaver has a good breakdown of both the British and Swedish versions. Good luck!

Pro-B
Old 06-05-04, 02:56 PM

Pro-B. Could you suggest a good retailer for the swedish disc? I'm not really up on where to buy non-brit european discs from.

Much appreciated!

p.s. not from bloomington, but i was born in LaGrange, IL!
Old 06-05-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

American Laser (Swedish store) I think they take money orders, might take PayPal. You can email them @ [email protected]
219 Skr = 29.18

I think shipping is 50Skr = $6.66 (I might be wrong, ask them in the email.)

Lilia 4-ever @ Dvdoo.com (Danish Store) They ship outside Europe, and 199 Dkr = $32.66.

I do not know what shipping would be...

Lilja 4-ever @ Amazon.co.uk Most secure I would assume... plus they take of about 10% for VAT.

18.99 GBP = 34.8941 USD, plus about 3.99 GBP for shipping.

see xe.com for currency convertion...

Cheers

DVD Smurf

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 06-05-04 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-05-04, 05:08 PM

I never liked Lilja. The UK DVD has some fine extras (unlike the mainland Europe releases) including a very long interview with the director and a UNICEF film.

I wouldn't pay that Amazon price. Try Bensons

It was on sale in a few places, but none that ship outside the UK.
Old 06-05-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by classwar
Pro-B. Could you suggest a good retailer for the swedish disc? I'm not really up on where to buy non-brit european discs from.

Much appreciated!

p.s. not from bloomington, but i was born in LaGrange, IL!
I got my disc through LASERDISKEN.com...when you figure all the shipping costs this is the most efficient option in my opinion. Here's a direct link:

http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...79390111531142

I would not go through DVDOO as their shipping these days is double the price of your requested title.

Cheers,
Pro-B

ps
LaGrange.......been there a few times

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-05-04 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 03:45 PM

thanks to everyone for the info.

Yes, I'm from Bloomington. Came here for University and decided to stay....

I just saw Moodysson's SHOW ME LOVE and was quite impressed with it for some reason I couldn't quite figure out (haven't seen a film with strong adolescent, female actors in awhile?). I look forward to watching TOGETHER soon, but I've heard that LILYA is far better, in comparison.
I would rather not pay $30+ on a slightly blind purchase, as I am trying to pinch on money a bit these days....and I have an aversion to PAL discs until I can upgrade from my crap Sampo 611 player....

Does anyone know if an R1 release is planned? Strand released SHOW ME LOVE, MGM released TOGETHER.....

thanks again.
Old 06-07-04, 10:54 AM

Thanks to all of you for the great info. I'm going to try Benson's and Laserdisken as were suggested.

Eric
Old 06-10-04, 04:19 PM
Cool New Member

I found Lilya quite different in tone from both Show Me Love and Together. Be aware it is an EXTREMELY dark and unrelentingly bleak film. It was a little too much for my tastes and lacked the warmth and humanity of Moodysson's 2 previous features. If you want to see it that badly it might be worth joining nicheflix as for me this disc would have zero replay value.
Old 06-10-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Hi guys

I am from Munster Indiana. Many Hoosiers here.

I have used LASERDISKEN several times and have been please. Today each time I tried to get to the site I am told that the connection is denied. Anyone know what this means?

Thanks
Old 06-11-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I actually got an email from a friend of mine from Malmo, Sweden...and we were discussing a recent film and he mentioned that the server is down....should be up shortly....(though clearly he is in Sweden not Denmark...if this should really matter).

Pro-B
Old 02-24-06, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I got my disc through LASERDISKEN.com...when you figure all the shipping costs this is the most efficient option in my opinion. Here's a direct link:

http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...79390111531142

I would not go through DVDOO as their shipping these days is double the price of your requested title.

Cheers,
Pro-B
I have been wanting to pick this up for quite some time and am finally going to do so. I think that Lilja is out of stock at the above link (or I just can't seem to figure it out) so was wondering where else you might recommend to buy this from. In fact, where could I pick up all of Moodyson's films? I know there is a Moodyson boxset available, but that thread seemed to imply it wasn't the best option around. I would rather get them all individually as one of them in the set (don't remember which one) seemed to not be anamorphic. Thank you...
Old 02-24-06, 07:08 AM

FYI folks both

LILYA 4-EVER and A HOLE IN MY HEART are both available for rental from Netflix, domestically, region one... not purchaseable, oddly.
Old 02-24-06, 10:58 AM
Tek

Got it HERE some time back...
Service was quick & covered by Amazon garauntee.